PDA

View Full Version : Comming in Inkscape .48 "Spray Tool"

RobA
12-21-2009, 09:12 AM
This could end up being the ultimate automatic building placer.

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/SpecSprayTool

I haven't played with it yet as there isn;t a windows dev build including it yet, but it seems to include code to automatically remove overlaps as well.

-Rob A>

Redrobes
12-21-2009, 09:37 AM
You might have to explain why. It looks like a SVG token splatting tool with random orientation and some scaling.

RobA
12-21-2009, 10:17 AM
It isn't pure random rotation, it looks to be random rotation as a deviation from the path direction. If the distribution curves are flexible enough, it would allow you to semi-randomly spatter non-overlapping buildings on either side of the road (path) that are aligned with the road.

I want to play with it when it comes out.

-Rob A>

loogie
12-22-2009, 02:00 AM
thats inkskape? damn... that looks like something photoshop would do... just impressed with the combining of shapes into a single path :P

I'm liking inkscape quite a bit... only thing i've had some issues with is the lack of palletes..

RobA
12-23-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm liking inkscape quite a bit... only thing i've had some issues with is the lack of palletes..

It uses the same palette format as gimp, and there are kajillions of those.

-Rob A>

RobA
02-17-2010, 03:14 PM
While I haven't gotten nice cities out of it yet, when combined with my restack extension it can make a pretty nifty forest:

I drew the three trees (using the spray tool with a circle source then union and adding a trunk and shadow plus a little gradient).

I grouped each tree, then selected the three of them and used the spray tool in clone mode with some size randomization to paint them in.

Lastly I used the restack extension with a top-to bottom orientation to make the "higher" trees on the page further back in z-order.

The nifty thing about clone mode is I could modify the three original trees (i.e. change colour) and all the clones I sprayed would also change.

-Rob A>

Ascension
02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Now I gotta learn how to use Inkscape just for forests cuz that looks great.

RobA
02-17-2010, 06:12 PM
...and it only took about 15 minutes, including creating the tree icons. If you already had those, it is as fast as you can sweep the pointer...

-Rob A>

bartmoss
02-18-2010, 06:47 PM
This is very useful. It'll be an excellent tool for pretty much everything where you want something semi-random. Think about star charts, for example. I can also see how you can use this to create some really nifty cave complexes. Can't wait to get my hands on this - and hope they fix the tablet input stuff or I will never touch it :P

RobA
02-19-2010, 03:56 PM
hope they fix the tablet input stuff or I will never touch it :P

???

Never had a problem with my tablet (XP, Wacom Graphire 3)

-Rob A>