PDA

View Full Version : Post Apocalyptic Virginia - redone

euio
12-22-2009, 04:20 AM
After hanging around this site for a month, along with downloading alpha mask and smudge plugins for PDN, I've decided to go back and rework my first attempt at a semi-sattelite physical style. So far, I've made the coastlines and added forests, grass, and deserts. Time to start on mountains!

Anyone know of any swamp textures?

Sapiento
12-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Looks good for the start.
One thing I would change is the coastal area - there the water looks pixelated. Try for a smoother impression.

Ascension
12-22-2009, 06:11 AM
Genetica has some stuff that you could use for swamps.

euio
12-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks, Sapiento & Ascension. What's Genetica?

After two and a half hours of wrangling, mountains! (and a fixed up coastline)

Steel General
12-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Genetica (available here (http://spiralgraphics.biz)) is a texture editor/creator available in either a free "Viewer" with limited rendering /editing capabilities or a full version.

It's quite good I think.

euio
12-22-2009, 05:54 PM
After some more fiddling, I think I'm ready for cities, labels, &c. I can't decide how I should represent the cities, though.

Sapiento
12-23-2009, 12:50 AM
It helps me usually to think 'How should the final map look like?' if I have concerns about the style for some details on the map. If you want a fancy, heavily decorated result, go for more comlicated looking city symbols. If you want a map in a more simple style, go for simply icons like dots and squares.

euio
12-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Here's some text. Thoughts?

Ascension
12-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I think a simple black stroke might set the text off so that it doesn't look blurry.

Diamond
12-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey, that looks familiar! And awesome. :D

euio
12-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I've been sporadically working on the language and history of Richland, but at this rate, the entry will be done around the time of the Utah Ring disaster ;). I've redone my plans for the area between Richland and the DC waste and tweaked the alphabet a bit. I'm going to make a font out of it sometime soon.

Here's an another version of the text. I think this is a bit better.