PDA

View Full Version : Attempting a new(ish) style

Locution
12-23-2009, 04:23 PM
So this is my first attempts at an ancient style parchment map. I thought I would show it off a bit now before I do more work on it.

Ascension
12-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Looks good so far.

Steel General
12-23-2009, 08:19 PM
It's a great start...looking forward to seeing where you take it.

Diamond
12-25-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm a huge fan of that style. Looks good thus far, I'll be interested to see what happens with it.

Jaxilon
12-26-2009, 01:45 AM
I like it so far. I find myself fighting to make landmasses that look right and I think you did a good job here.

Locution
12-26-2009, 05:42 PM
There was no reral "trick" to these land masses, I just selected an area with the lasso tool and filled it and then went over the edge with the eraser to make it look more natural. It didn't take too long but it was tedious.

Davros01
12-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I absolutely agree with everyone. a very good start. will be watching to see its development

Locution
12-27-2009, 02:35 AM
A quick update. I have added some terrain icons and some city markers. Of course these are from some of the many brush packs that I have found kicking around this site and thanks to the authors (I hope I remembered to rep you all). I am pretty happy with how this is going. I am a bit concerned the style of the city markers differs too much from the terrain icons so I may play with other options.

Diamond
12-27-2009, 01:49 PM
To me, those city icons blend too much with the mountain icons, and they're too hard to pick out against the coastline. I'd make them a lighter shade of the color you have them in, or do some kind of outer glow or something to make them pop out a bit.

Locution
12-27-2009, 11:01 PM
I actually like that the icons blend, but I may try a few things out. Once the labels are added it will become more obvious where the city icons are located.

Diamond
12-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Once the labels are added it will become more obvious where the city icons are located.

True...

And really when you get right down to it, YOU have to be happy with it, not just us. :D

Davros01
12-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I think it works well. the trees, mountains, and cities work well with the map style. The key I think will be the labeling. In my view the labeling makes the map. In your case, it will help differentiate between mountains, trees, rivers, and cities.

looking good,
Marc

ravells
12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
It's looking great so far but I'd be tempted to make the trees smaller and less uniform in distribution.

Locution
01-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Ok so I have adjusted the tree size (thanks Rav, that makes a big difference) and now I am struggling on a font for the labelling. I have gone through a few hundred and can no longer think of what would look best. Any suggestions?

Diamond
01-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Any suggestions?

Depends. What kind of setting is it? If it's standard-ish medieval Europe, you could use a semi-ornate gothic font, or there's one on www.dafont.com called 'Home Remedy' that would look awesome.

Locution
01-01-2010, 10:43 PM
As this is just a trial map there is no "setting" exactly but I was thinking a "cradle of civilization" sort of feel meaning the mediterranean area. Home remedy is definatley a cool font and I grabbed it for future use but I'm not sure it suits this particular theme. Fonts are a tough thing to ask advice on because they are so personal but I am still open to suggestions.

Locution
01-04-2010, 07:48 PM
This is what I have come up with. I am calling it finished but there may be a few tweaks necessary.

Ascension
01-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I hate to say it but the fantastic graphics overwhelm the map itself. I might try to put some more detail in the map to balance it out (continuity of line complexity, ie the elaborate crosshatching and detail in the graphics compared to the simple lines of the map) or maybe reduce the size of the graphics. Overall it looks sweet but out of balance.

LonewandererD
01-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Very nice, have some rep. I do agree with Ascension on the side graphics, they're great but they do steal some of the focus, also because they're alot darker and therefore more noticeable than the lighter map.

-D-

Locution
01-04-2010, 10:45 PM
To be honest I agree whole heartedly with you both, and in truth I sort of threw it together while I had a chance (just brought my new son home from the hospital). I fully intended to put some more work into it and will do so now. Thanks for the input though now I know where I need to start.

My intent was to emulate a map of Scotland I have hanging on my wall that has the same sort of images on either side of the map but I see now I have failed to do so properly.

rdanhenry
01-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Of course, if the map were made first to flatter their majesties and only second to provide an accurate representation of the realm, the noted "imbalance" would be a feature, not a bug.

Locution
01-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Of course, if the map were made first to flatter their majesties and only second to provide an accurate representation of the realm, the noted "imbalance" would be a feature, not a bug.

This was the idea I was aiming for. However I did tweak it a bit.

Any Better?

Ascension
01-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Fits quite nicely I think.

Locution
01-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Thanks! The more I look at it the more I like it. Not too shabby for a trial map. I guess its time to move it to the finished maps section.

Steel General
01-05-2010, 11:04 AM
This has turned out quite nicely. :)

moutarde
01-05-2010, 10:56 PM
That looks fantastic, nicely done :) Have you thought about trying a slight blur on the labels? In a few places they look really crisp and sharp compared to the mountains and cities.

torstan
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Beautiful map. Well done indeed.

Diamond
01-06-2010, 12:32 AM
I'll add my compliments; that turned out beautifully. Respect! :D

ravells
01-06-2010, 04:23 AM
That looks fantastic, nicely done :) Have you thought about trying a slight blur on the labels? In a few places they look really crisp and sharp compared to the mountains and cities.

A tiny black outer glow usually does the trick to give the impression of ink bleeding into the paper.