PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

Shifty
12-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Hi, new here and asking the obvious cream of the crop here 'if it can be done'.

I am looking to build a campaign map for an upcoming campaign, and rather than go down the same sort of path I have before I wanted to try something new, but bearing in mind that I am pretty much a mapping newb.

My 'vision' is to make a Googlemap type affair of the gameworld where players could plot routes and examine terrain, and I could adjust POI's of things (like known trouble hotspots).

What I REALLY wanted to do was take an existing lowly populated landmass (say...Iceland or Tasmania) in GoogleEarth and throw off all the main roads city names etc, and go back and overlay my own locales. Is it possible?

What would be the best steps for a newcomer to take towards this goal, or is it waaaay too ambitious?

NeonKnight
12-24-2009, 01:09 AM
I think NASA has some Data Images that can be loaded into other software

Ascension
12-24-2009, 08:20 AM
You can always take Google images and chop them up into a collage that fits what you want. Or you can try out some of the tutorials here to get something halfway between digital and satellite. Many of us here are working towards that ultimate realism without using photos of real stuff so you're welcome to join in the process.

Coyotemax
12-24-2009, 08:24 AM
If you also want that zoom/scroll ability as well, you might want to check out Zoomify. Once you have a map you're happy with, you can run it through Zoomify, and it's a lot like dealing with google maps :) Photoshop (cs3 at least) has it built in, but there are other ways to get it working as well. http://www.zoomify.com/

(you'd think i worked for them or something, but no, heh. I just love the way this thing works, minimal effort, customizable results)

Shifty
12-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks guys, will start looking into those options! :)

The capacity to zoom, and add POI's, are two things I really would love.

Shifty
12-27-2009, 01:41 AM
BTW, some great tutorials here - really "woah, awesome" stuff that can be done with Gimp etc - I had no idea!

Davros01
12-27-2009, 03:15 AM
I'm a big CC3 fan. one of their latest annual supplements is modern atlas style. I'm not sure what programs you are using, but you might want to look at it.

Marc