PDA

View Full Version : Val'Gaard

Torius
12-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Up until this point, I have been enjoying the tutorials and learning how to use GIMP and WILBUR as well as Profantasy Fractal Pro. For a new role playing setting, my first mapping is going to be of the continent of Val'Gaard where our early adventures will be.

For the style, I have tried to emulate the SRTM elevation maps from NASA. http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2003/aug/HQ_03275_Earth_NewLook.html

I started by creating a world mask, generating the land forms in FT and exporting to GIMP to arrange.

From there I zoomed in on the continent that would be Val'Gaard.

And then using Wilbur to create a heightfield I exported back to GIMP to use as the bump map and then added the coloring.

Overall I was pretty happy with this first attempt. I struggled for some time trying to get more of an alligator skin look to the erosion, but wasn't able to produce the effect...any tips would be welcomed!:)

Rivers and vegetation will be for another style of map, this was just to show the topography.

Thanks,
Torius

Steel General
12-25-2009, 09:57 AM
While I don't use any of the software that you do, I think you have a nice start here.

Ascension
12-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, that's a really nice start. Don't see anything that I'd change so good job.