PDA

View Full Version : Test of CC3 - Island map

MadCartographer
12-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Ok, here is a test I did after following a tutorial. This is my 2nd map I have done. Normally I do Space Ship deck plans. I know there is lots of room for improvement, but I'd appreaciate some feedback.

Thanks

Jaxilon
12-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Well this is a teaser...I can't zoom in to look at the nifty little things you have there. I want to go look at the lighthouse, and the rocks jutting up from the sea. Is my zoomer busted?

I think this is CC3 yes? Is there a way to mellow out the mountain base so the grasslands start/end more subtly? I don't know a thing about cc3 so I haven't a clue.

The rivers look right to me but then I'm not a river cop. I'm more of an otter :)

Thanks for sharing.

NeonKnight
12-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Looks good. I too would love to see a higher res version.

MadCartographer
12-25-2009, 08:24 AM
here is a better res version, I also placed some town names etc...

MadCartographer
12-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Well this is a teaser...I can't zoom in to look at the nifty little things you have there. I want to go look at the lighthouse, and the rocks jutting up from the sea. Is my zoomer busted?

I think this is CC3 yes? Is there a way to mellow out the mountain base so the grasslands start/end more subtly? I don't know a thing about cc3 so I haven't a clue.

The rivers look right to me but then I'm not a river cop. I'm more of an otter :)

Thanks for sharing.

Yes this is CC3. I can mellow out the mountain base more. Thanks for the input. I'll post a new pic in a few.

MadCartographer
12-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Here is a Hi Res version.

I also have toned down the mountain background a bit to make it blend better.

Thanks Jaxilon

Ascension
12-25-2009, 10:25 AM
That toning-down around the mountains looks really nice. Is there a way that you can maybe stuff some trees in the open space between mountains? Or maybe some hills. Pretty good for just learning the software.

Jaxilon
12-25-2009, 04:36 PM
I'd say that looks pretty good. I think blending the terrain helped.

You might try what Ascension said and stick a tree or three in around the mountains so long as it doesn't make it too cluttered.

MadCartographer
12-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Ok, I updated the mountain range. Comments suggestions are welcome.

And thanks for the input so far.

rdanhenry
12-26-2009, 03:12 AM
Consider whether you really want to use an overused font for your labels.

Vorhees
12-26-2009, 04:55 AM
nice , i got cc3 for xmas - yeah for me lol, so i will have a go

MadCartographer
12-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Consider whether you really want to use an overused font for your labels.

You mean for my City names etc? Use a different font for them?

MadCartographer
12-26-2009, 09:37 AM
nice , i got cc3 for xmas - yeah for me lol, so i will have a go

Well I must admit, I think CC3 is for people like me that cant draw a lick. So the program does most of the grunt work for you. :)

But I really do like it. I have most of the addon's for it too.

It's fun to play with. I know I'm not a map designer, but I do like to "fiddle". it's great for my online D&D games though.

NeonKnight
12-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Well I must admit, I think CC3 is for people like me that cant draw a lick. So the program does most of the grunt work for you. :)

But I really do like it. I have most of the addon's for it too.

It's fun to play with. I know I'm not a map designer, but I do like to "fiddle". it's great for my online D&D games though.

HEY! I can draw ;). I just like it for it's ease, and it was the first mapping software I bought.

Diamond
12-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I think the font looks good. Sure, it's been used in a lot of places for a lot of stuff, but that's because it's so nifty looking. It's clean, easily readable, and its flavor fits the setting.

MadCartographer
12-26-2009, 02:37 PM
HEY! I can draw ;). I just like it for it's ease, and it was the first mapping software I bought.

LOL!

Some ppl cant, and some can, I cant, so it's perfect for me. I can however draft, but there is a huge difference in drawing and drafting. I also like it's ease of use, CC3 does so much for you with just a few clicks.

landorl
12-29-2009, 03:11 PM
It's a good map overall, and does a good job of showcasing CC3's ability. The only thing that I don't care for that much is the roads. They are a little too intense for my taste. I would like them to be maybe a little thinner, and fade into the background a bit.