View Full Version : The Lands of Barsaive

12-26-2009, 07:30 AM
I recently found a map of Barsaive, a land from Earthdawn RPG on the internet and got interested in doing one of my own. The one I first found was in B&W so I decided to try giving it some life by replicating it myself. Also I just got a tablet and it's vacation time so decided to give this a run. Started out yesterday and got to this point just now..
I'll just leave this here and get back to it while waiting for any comments you might have :)

12-26-2009, 08:50 AM
I think that the base terrain has too much going on...lots of pixels of many colors. The mountains look pretty good as do the forests.

12-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Nice start. Now, this is probably just me but the forests seem to overpower the mountains a bit, as in they almost seem to sit higher than the mountains. I suggest making the mountains larger or more prominent, or fading or reducing the forests in some way. Again, that could just be me. Have some rep.

Steel General
12-26-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm with Ascension that something in the base terrain is 'overpowering' a lot of the other 'details' on the map.

12-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Haha, I think I accidentally put the farmlands-texture to whole terrain. Fixed that and paled down those forests. Also, did some color overlays for mountains to make them more visible.

Next I will probably start adding textures for habitation and color some of the base-terrain areas to have deserts and such. It's kind of hard to bend my mind around the fact that in Finland the default terrain is forest and lakes almost everywhere :D

12-26-2009, 01:06 PM
It has nothing to do with the farmlands as I can clearly see those around a few lakes and rivers. It's the main pattern that you're using for the base land ...might want to turn down the opacity on that so that it's more subtle.

12-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Here's a better version with some labeling. I thinks I'm going to leave out most city names and just have larger areas be named after dominant city of the area. Also I corrected the Serpent River flowing into 2 oceans at once..

12-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Wow, I played this game many years ago, great map :)

12-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Earthdawn was an interesting game that I only played a few times but it was pretty good. The game was linked to Shadowrun and based in the "Real" world, Europe I think.

12-30-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm inclined to starting a game on this map, based on earthdawn or whatever.. not sure. I believe this is based on a real world location of Black Sea et al. Thanks for comments, this is going to be something I show to my players as it does not show all locations.