PDA

View Full Version : Tyalon

TBF
12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
This is my first post in this forum, so i hope it works.
The first thing i have to do, is to apologize for my English. English is not my mother tongue, so i hope you can overlook potential nonconformities.
So here is my first map. It is based on Tear's Tutorial(at this point: Thank you very much Tear ;-) )

I am looking forward to your comments and your suggestions for potential advancements.
My primary concern is to get a suggestion for bringing in some regional and river names without let it looking overcrowded.

Ascension
12-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Looks good. For labeling the things without over crowding it use a thin font like Arial and/or a smaller font size. Don't worry about your English, we all manage to understand one another here just fine...we speak maps :)

Daelin
12-29-2009, 04:54 PM
English is not my mother tongue, so i hope you can overlook potential nonconformities.
That sentence must be the contradiction of the century.

As for the font, I too would go for a slimmer font, that goes a little better with style of the map. You can always try lowering the opacity a little, that usually makes the font less obstructive.

A point of criticism: As you mention, you're using Tear's tutorial, which is awesome, but I think you need to work a little more on refinement. What I mean is, for example, the peaks on the mountains don't really look like peaks, because it's obviously the "metal landscape" pattern that's used. The same goes for the grass, which has a "gravel" pattern overlay set to color burn.
Of course, everyone has to learn, and I'm sure that if you practice some more, you'll get it right. Keep at it.

TBF
12-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Thank you for your replies. Daelin, you are right, when you say i had to work on my refinement^^. Thats why i droped Art after the ninth grade. Thats something i should work on^^.
But while we are at the grass and peak pattern. While i was working i recieved the impressions, that the patterns might be scaled to high, because Tear worked with a smaller map. Do you think that this pattern shows the same effect on the map scaled down or should i use another one?

Daelin
01-03-2010, 05:37 PM
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure about whether scaling it down helps. I had bit of trouble figuring out how Tear got to his final version, 'cause when I tried to follow his tut by the word, I got something close to what you have now. I asked him if he had scaled the Saderan map he posted here, and he said yes, slightly.

But while his tut is great, you don't have to follow it slavishly. The map that I'm currently working on, for instance, (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8510), takes some of the steps from Tear, but the "peaks" are just plain white color, not a pattern, and the grass is just a green color with some noise and a blur, no pattern overlay.
I think the mountains worked out pretty well, I might changed the grass, though.

landorl
01-05-2010, 05:38 PM
I agree with what others have said about the mountains.

Also, some of your rivers behave a little odd. They aren't outright bad, but just odd. Specifically, there are two that stand out. The large river that runs through Sindrichion and Berion to the mountains, flows for a long way along the coastline. It's not impossible, but I don't see terrain features that would indicate a river valley there.

The other one is the river in the southeast from Hammersund to Die Eiserne, and it is the same issue.

Other than that, the map looks good. I do think that reducing the fonts a little will let the map itself show a little more.

TBF
01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
I agree with what others have said about the mountains.

Also, some of your rivers behave a little odd. They aren't outright bad, but just odd. Specifically, there are two that stand out. The large river that runs through Sindrichion and Berion to the mountains, flows for a long way along the coastline. It's not impossible, but I don't see terrain features that would indicate a river valley there.

The other one is the river in the southeast from Hammersund to Die Eiserne, and it is the same issue.

Other than that, the map looks good. I do think that reducing the fonts a little will let the map itself show a little more.

They look a little odd, because i draw the political map first and then i noticed that i needed something for the border^^. The variant of the continent you see there is the last of a row. But unfortunately the maps are on the harddisk drive of my old computer and i am just to lazy to tow it three levels up.^^ So i had to work with the alpha AutoREALM Version of it. And there are the rivers actually absolutely odd.^^

TBF
01-16-2010, 09:45 AM
this weekend in found time to edit the map.
The down-scaling at the grass-pattern working worked and i draw the peak lines more accurated(actually i misunderstood for what they are good). Furthermore i disabled the texture-layer, i think the map looks so more bright.
As everytime i am interested in your suggestions.

Steel General
01-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Neat stuff here, reminds me a bit of the 'salt maps' (or whatever you call them) I did in elementary school.

TBF
01-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Neat stuff here, reminds me a bit of the 'salt maps' (or whatever you call them) I did in elementary school.

To be honest, i have no idea what a salt map could be^^, but thank you very much ;-)

EDIT: Here is a politcal version of the map:

Ascension
01-16-2010, 02:13 PM
This is pretty nice. I think the little stones behind the icons are too big and dominating but the terrain itself has a nice blend of realism and artisticness.

TBF
01-16-2010, 02:30 PM
This is pretty nice. I think the little stones behind the icons are too big and dominating but the terrain itself has a nice blend of realism and artisticness.

I tried to let it look like a wax seal, but i guess it was a little bit to tricky for me. Do you know anybody in this forum with experience in making wax seals in photoshop?

Ascension
01-16-2010, 06:09 PM
There's actually a tutorial for wax seals...in the Tut section somewhere.

altasilvapuer
01-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Try this one:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1873

It's not a tutorial, but it is a PSD file, so you may be able to see how it works and try replicating it, somewhat. I forget, myself, though; haven't played with it in a while.

-asp

TBF
01-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Try this one:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1873

It's not a tutorial, but it is a PSD file, so you may be able to see how it works and try replicating it, somewhat. I forget, myself, though; haven't played with it in a while.

-asp

Thanks for searching it, but i found a good tutorial(http://www.tutorialized.com/view/tutorial/Wax-Seal/21646).

My map is near to be finished. I'll post it in the Finished Map-Forum, when i am done with writing a little bit of the story to the map down.

Davros01
01-18-2010, 11:27 AM
don't worry about your english or your being new. welcome to a great forum. everyone is very helpful that I can tell. great map.