PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Hand-drawn village of Pigdivot

Mr. Greengoat
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Been away from the boards for a while. I decided I wanted to doodle out the local town-base that I am using for a Tunnels and Trolls game.

Trying to make it cartoonish by a bit but having trouble deciding on my pencil marks, particularly with the waterfall. I did it on watercolor paper with the intent to ink and watercolor it but the straight pencil looks good.
Should I color it?

Attached is a small completed region map done on same paper.

Tools: HB Pencil & cheap Japanese WC paper. (which is thin but nice.)
Rapidograph ink and cheap watercolor on the region map.

Ascension
12-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I like it. Before painting it I'd scan it in and faux paint it first just to get an idea if you want to actually do the painting.

Mr. Greengoat
12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Good idea, although I think the computer coloring might be a bit time consuming. I might scan it in it's finished pencil state and go forward with the ink and watercolor so I can technically have it both ways.

I am trying to focus on my speed for playability. I am trying to work on coming up with play material on the fly with a bit of prettiness without making each thing a major project. (I guess I should have remembered that once I started doing my pencil practice on the thing. Too neat and cute now.)

NeonKnight
12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Looks good. I love a good handrawn map!

Mr. Greengoat
01-07-2010, 12:07 AM
So I guess I spent too much time penciling anyway. It seems my quick project took a pig's share of time.

I will leave it as-is and then do some digital coloring on the scan with some watercolor type coloring. It takes a bit to get used to the level of darkness for the graphite when you up the levels on the contrast to get a good black line.

I used a plain old number two pencil on textured watercolor paper.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/mr_greengoat/Pigdivot_small.jpg

Sapiento
01-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Looks very good at the moment. I'm curious to see this coloured.

jfrazierjr
01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
looks great, especially the town drawing. My only minor complaint is the regional map could use a 'bit' more weaving to the roads/paths.

Steel General
01-08-2010, 06:39 AM
I like it..wish I could draw half as well. Love the name 'Pigdivot' as well, gave a bit of a chuckle :D

su_liam
01-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Pigdivot. That'd be a perfect stoutling village to toss into The Boroughs on the CWBP. Just sayin'...

Mr. Greengoat
01-08-2010, 06:02 PM
My only minor complaint is the regional map could use a 'bit' more weaving to the roads/paths.

I see what you mean. I actually have a hexmap with the region depicted and I made this hand-drawn one to be more of an abstract map like you would find at an inn but I see what you mean about the roads being too straight.

I like it..wish I could draw half as well. Love the name 'Pigdivot' as well, gave a bit of a chuckle

Yes I was going to have each of the family surnames in the town be slightly related to pigs: Tusk, Hamhock, Jowlwiggle, Bristlecurl.

I also put a brass hog statue in the towns center.

Ascension
01-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Awww, isn't he cute :) Good stuff man, keep it up.