PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for firsts!

Talmariel
12-30-2009, 04:59 PM
This comes with thanks to Pyrandon's city tutorial and Ascension's atlas tutorial. Haven't named the world yet, but I had a great time with Wikipedia's Alternative Place Names (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Alternative_place_names) category.

The quick story is, this continent roughly looked like Europe until 300 years ago, when a massive magical event blew a crater just north of the island of Arke. A rough ring of mountains marks where the land was deformed out of the crater, and of course the ocean filled the hole nicely.

I'm in process of writing the campaign up. This forum has been a huge help getting me over the hump of starting to make my own maps. Thanks!

Redrobes
12-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Really good map there. I have repped thee for it and at the same time banished the ole blue pip o shame and got you a shiny green one. Well done.

Gandwarf
12-30-2009, 07:27 PM
More rep from, very nice map!
Not sure if all your rivers are behaving realistically (at least for our world)... though I could mistake some borders for them.

Talmariel
12-30-2009, 08:10 PM
The rivers may need a little help. I read the sticky about rivers, but I can't promise I got it all right. Some borders are on rivers, some aren't. I'll see if I can mark it up properly and maybe get some advice.

Thanks for the rep!

Steel General
12-31-2009, 12:06 PM
This looks nice, and the mountains turned out quite good - though I would give them a little more color.

Ramah
12-31-2009, 12:49 PM
I really like it. Looks great. 'Nuff said. :)

NeonKnight
12-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Nice Map. LUV IT!

Ascension
12-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Smooth and stylish - pretty cool.

Gandwarf
12-31-2009, 01:57 PM
The rivers may need a little help. I read the sticky about rivers, but I can't promise I got it all right. Some borders are on rivers, some aren't. I'll see if I can mark it up properly and maybe get some advice.

Thanks for the rep!

Well, it looks like you have some rivers splitting, which doesn't normally happen, unless it's near the sea (a delta).

Also near Catala it looks like you have some rivers running from ocean to ocean? Normally, a river starts somewhere in a high place, mountains for example, and then exits into the ocean.

cereth
12-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Welcome, and great first map! Apart from the afore mentioned river issues, you might also consider turning the glow down a biy. It is perhaps a bit overpowering. (kind of looks like it should be a map of heaven or something)

I look forward to seeing more!

Talmariel
12-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I do have some splitting, so I can take that out. Hooray for layers.

The ocean-to-ocean river is actually two rivers coming off the same mountain, but maybe that's silly? I meant for that region to be like Greece, with lots of channels and islands, but I didn't really follow through.

I see what you mean about the glow - on the coastlines, right? It's got two layers on top of the flat water color. Maybe if it didn't feather so far from the coast?

Talmariel
12-31-2009, 11:24 PM
Here's all the rivers highlighted, with the political stuff turned off.

Jaxilon
01-01-2010, 12:05 AM
This is fantastic for a first map, well done!

Steel General
01-01-2010, 10:35 AM
You have a couple of instances where rivers split as they are going 'downstream'. They don't normally do that (unless they are going around an island of some sort).

Easiest way I've found to keep from making this mistake is to think of them as trees - the source 'branches' start at higher elevations and merge to form the trunk as it approaches larger bodies of water.

Talmariel
01-01-2010, 02:51 PM
That makes a lot of sense. So I should have several mountain streams run into one another on their way to the sea to form a single large river.

Steel General
01-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Yup, that's the idea.

Talmariel
01-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Took everyone's advice and made some changes. Let me know what you think, and thanks again!

Edit: PS the first one is the regular map, and the second has all the rivers highlighted in red.

Ascension
01-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Much better. You've got a lot of lakes that don't drain to anywhere and while this is not against the law (of physics that is) it is uncommon to see so many. Of course it could be that said drainage rivers are really too small to notice and then that would be okay. My anal retentiveness prompted me to put in some drainage for you, hope you don't mind. Use or don't I just can't pass up the opportunity to draw rivers :) Some sort of weird obsession I have.

altasilvapuer
01-05-2010, 11:29 AM
I just can't pass up the opportunity to draw rivers :) Some sort of weird obsession I have.

I worry for you sometimes, Ascension. It's okay, we'll get you some help, soon. ;)

-asp

Redrobes
01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Must be all the lead fumes...

Talmariel
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Wow, thanks, Ascension! So you had lots of water sources draining into large landlocked waters? I'll probably use a bunch of those you drew.

Locution
01-05-2010, 04:39 PM
This is a very nice map and I am impressed that you could effectivly use the Folkard font (I think thats the one you are using) I have wanted to use it on a map for some time now but my style seems to conflict with such a pretty font. Well done indeed!

Talmariel
01-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I think this might be a finished map now. I put in most of Ascension's rivers. It's high enough resolution, I'll probably do individual country maps with the cities, roads and whatnot. Anything neat like an individual city I'll post on the forums.

Does anyone have info on how populations spread settlement-wise? I sketched migration patterns and basic resources, but I'm just guessing at placing particular towns and such. I want the sense of history and population shifts that feel natural.

And yes, the font is Folkard. :)