PDA

View Full Version : January Entry : Port Maglie Waterfront

Jaxilon
01-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Ok, I am doing most everything for the first time here so I am not sure how to really tackle the concept however, this is where I started (Not sure if this is where I will continue):

I'm looking at the Port Magalie 'Waterfront Market' area. I figure I need to pull that area in and start defining it so I do that. I take a screen shot and then draw in all my building lines. (I don't know if I will design all of them yet but at least as many as I have time for.)

Below is what I have. Now, the problem is that even though I'm zoomed in around 500x it's still the same size as the original. I don't know about you but I've got a problem drawing anything more in there, LOL. Using the scale provided on the original map 1 pixel is 10 feet (unless I screwed that up). This means many of my market buildings are like 40' x 40' in size which is fine but at the moment they are only 4 pixels wide.

Question for those who know: Do I just create a new image at say 400 x 400 and draw that way or do you just blow out the stops, go large, and scale down later? Is this something I just need to experiment with and find my own method?

pfft, I used a transparent layer so the thumb looks odd. Guess I should have used a white one to draw on. Easier to see what I'm looking at if you view image. HA! See, there is no zoom, the thumb is the actual size. I need to go visit the super collider and split my pixels so I have something to work with. :)

Immolate
01-01-2010, 12:07 PM
A small map pretty much kills it for me. Size is really situational, but I'd see a 2k x 2k map as a good standard, with detailed maps trending higher than that.

For the WIP, I recommend posting a full-sized JPG. The board will automatically thumb-nail it and allow viewers to click to see the larger image. The purpose of the WIP is to generate criticism after all, and it is hard to be critical of a thumbnail.

If I'm going to work from an original, like I did with my CERN map in the November challenge, I'll usually dump that into a layer, size it appropriately, then put it at the bottom of the stack and turn it on and off when I need to use it for reference. That way it doesn't matter how small or large the original was, since I'm only using it as a guide.

Jaxilon
01-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Right, that sounds good, I'm just wondering how I get this to be 2k x 2k in size. I pulled in the original like you mentioned and have it as a layer for reference but it's the same size as what you see here.

I need to upscale this somehow? hmmm, that gives me an idea.

Immolate
01-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Not sure the command in Gimp. In Photoshop it's Image/Image Size

Redrobes
01-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Its probably a good idea to steal the original as a crop and then blow it up. In this case since the aspect (width / height) is < 1 (i.e. portrait) then something like 1500x2000 or whatever keeps it to the same ratio. If you want then go real large like 3000x4000 but then post something half size as your entry. Big is good but it can get a bit overwhelming cos most browsers deal with fit to screen or 1:1. Personally I find mapping bigger easier cos you can touch up mistakes better and then drop the size at the end and the errors get small. Trying to get each and every pixel right at 400x400 is so hard.

Jaxilon
01-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Ok, in Gimp I think it is just 'Image>Scale' and set it to whatever you want. In any event this was a lot easier to blow up than I thought.

I just kept the pixel X,Y linked so it automatically stayed the same ratios and stuff.

So, I think I am making some progress.

Jaxilon
01-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Forgot to post the larger image. Plus, I need to make sure I am posting my thumbs correctly.

Is this right?

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Yep, posted correctly. I still mess up that part myself sometimes.

Jaxilon
01-05-2010, 03:23 AM
Not sure where I'm going with this at the moment but here is where I am now.

### Latest WIP ###

Redrobes
01-05-2010, 08:13 AM
If your looking for inspiration then you can either a) pop some decking down on the quay, some river textures, ground textures etc and just basically cover the map with new higher than original res textures and detail or b) go smaller and focus on just a small number of houses like 3 or 5 in a group and just aim to map them instead. Its the same amount of work but if your suited to one more than the other then go with where your more comfortable.

Jaxilon
01-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks Redrobes, I was thinking about attempting some roadways I just haven't put together a complete idea in my mind.

I was also torn between mapping out interiors or just detailing the overhead view. So far I'm going with the overhead view so I may just stick with that. I may try some texturing like you mentioned though. The more I can do the more I learn so it's all good.

Jaxilon
01-07-2010, 04:01 AM
Just a little more. Like I said, I don't have much time this week.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-08-2010, 03:50 AM
The docks kept making me hungry because I thought they looked a little like breadsticks :)

I updated their texture and tweaked the water a bit more.

edit: I'm not sure on the color. This looks more like old docks but isn't overly vibrant imo.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-13-2010, 04:55 AM
a few updates and some roads.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-16-2010, 03:01 AM
Updated the docks, added some more walkways and tiny details, brightened it up a bit and spent too much time getting the "specialty" shop looking more like an actual building. Talk about something that seemed like a great idea at the time, LOL - that thing has given me fits!

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-19-2010, 01:47 AM
I seem to be having a problem finding out which direction is North on the CWBP. Am I to assume that up is north? In looking at the big linked map I did not see a compass. Maybe it's on one of the maps and not visible on the large image?

Anyway, if someone can let me know I will start on a compass of some type.

Here are few updates, I've started popping in vendor stalls along the pathways but have a long way to go if this is going to ever look like what I imagine. I'm also wondering if I did something wrong along the way because at 100% you can't really see all the details I have put in. You have to zoom in to around 200% to see water troughs, tables, etc.
Do I need to change something? I think I'm also getting close to the maximum size for this as well.

### Latest WIP ###

industrygothica
01-19-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm not sure what's up with the attachment, but I can tell you that north us up.

Jaxilon
01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
OMG - I was just pushing myself to try and wrap this up and putting in all kinds of vendor stands and carts when GIMP seemed to lock up on me. It then hung and hung and hung and more or less closed down in an ungraceful way. Well, I figured I must have lost the last couple hours of my work as I had not saved in a while so I reopen it to see....

A crushing lack of layers and missing graphics. Instead I had a few stands on a transparent background. I mean everything was just gone :mrgreen: I had about half the roofs on the map completed and was plugging away at the vendor stands, etc, trying to add a little life to it when this happened.

I'm not sure what I can do at this point. I don't see any partial files anywhere. What bothers me the most is that it seems like it not only lost what I had recently worked on but also tore a huge chunk (in fact most of) what I had finished from weeks ago.....what am I supposed to do now?

I can't believe that GIMP totally destroyed the document...feeling discouraged atm. Though I did not feel as though I was going to win, I did want to finish what I started and at least have a completed looking entry. :(

Ascension
01-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I hate when that happens...had PS do something like that to me once in a lightning storm. The way I got through it was to wash my hands of the thing and do something new. You could try to do a new version and just go for pure speed, download the last complete version from your thread here and start from there, or just use the last one as the entry and move on. At any rate, know that you're not alone in this happening and we all feel for ya.

Jaxilon
01-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the empathy. I did have to take a break. I ranted and raved, then went and flopped on the couch for a bit. After a while, I did exactly what you said, and pulled up my last post which was a couple of days worth of work behind where I was and said to myself, "Well, at least I'm getting techniques down and I am getting faster with the tools."

So I started plugging away at it again trying to remember what I had and just keep moving forward. We'll just have to see what I get done and live with it.

The lesson: Make a backup copy if you get to a point you don't want to loose. It's the first time I've ever lost more than I had at my last save in ANY software. I still can't believe it actually wiped my entire document out.

Xyll
01-21-2010, 07:59 PM
I had teh same issues with Gimp it happens when something interupts the save process. Only those layers were saved when it crashes and it total overrights the file. Try multi save points also do not forget to periodically clear the history cache to keep the program from hogging up to much memory. ido a lot of my stuff on a crappy computer that requires me to keep it below 100 mb for optimal funcionality.

Jaxilon
01-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Where do you clear the history in Gimp, I'm not seeing it.

We have a storm of historic proportions going on here in Arizona right now. Our power was out all night last night until around 3am. The streets are full of water and more rain is supposedly coming. Obviously, I didn't get any work done on this. Since the storm is not over and I've got to head out for work, I'm going to post what I have done for now, just in case I don't get another chance.

### Latest WIP ###

RobA
01-22-2010, 11:43 AM
The undo history is a dockable window, usually in the layers, etc. dock: http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-undo-dialog.html

Clearing the history is done with the button in the lower right of that window.

-Rob A>

Jaxilon
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Ah, that's good stuff to know. Thanks for pointing me in the right place. I think this will be very useful. It might cut down on some of those laggy issues I get working for an hour or so. :)

Jaxilon
01-23-2010, 03:51 AM
Added a bunch of vendor stands and finished off the rest of the buildings...I think. It's starting to look more like a busy market but it needs a lot more stuff. It takes forever adding in all these details. I don't think that zoomed even shows all the little stuff I created so I'm not sure about that...I know there is a lesson in there somewhere but I'm not sure what it is yet :)

I hope to redo the map edges, show the larger map this fits into and maybe kick up some texture beneath the beach but I'm not sure if I will get to it.

Anyway, any last minute suggestions, even if they are only good for my next map?

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Just to make sure everyone knows what I'm trying to do.

While I'm still working on mine does this format and scale indicator fulfill the needs of the challenge or am I missing something? Sorry, this is actually my first challenge of any kind here :)

Redrobes
01-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Your cool with your entry scale because it was taken from a region capture from Port Magalie which has a scale. Some of the entries are towns which have never been mapped or marked on the map and so have a variable scale with certain limits.

Jaxilon
01-25-2010, 05:44 AM
A few color modifications and some lines in the sea. Added street lamps and a few more odds N ends. Placed a bunch of barrels on the docks. Looking forward to the end to be honest :) I still need to create some kind of a map-edge frame type deal.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-26-2010, 02:06 AM
I added some trees and a sort of border. Unless I see something else or get hit by lightning I think this might be it.

I now know why people try to use the Mosaic filter to create buildings. I did try it for a few of my vendor stands but mainly just kept making them by hand or cloning/rotating/recoloring. I though the Mosaic just looked too uniform otherwise.

I did get a pretty good routine down for making roof tops but it's still time consuming. Maybe someday I'll get into the script area and put a little code together to automate it.

Next time I enter a challenge I think I'll shoot for something small and just do the best job I can on it. I learned a lot banging away on GIMP, not the least of which is that I hate drawing with a mouse! I can't wait to get a tablet. Only problem is I'm a pen bigot = I hate crappy writing utensils so I hope I like the feel of it once I have it.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-26-2010, 03:41 AM
It's like a sickness and I can't stop...somebody save me!

I figured it might be good to have the reference on the map so I put a miniature in the corner and labeled it. I might have done something else but it eludes me at this time...I've got to stop! LOL

I just realized also that my thread title is wrong, it's Port MagAlie not Maglie. At least that's what I have on my map now...hope that's right :)

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Just to triple check myself - I have the ### Latest WIP ### tag done correctly, yes? Because the thumbnail on the contest menu is still showing from like weeks ago. <-- I know the collector is manually triggered but it seems like it's been a long while.

If I'm good to go then thanks :)

Redrobes
01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Yup, your good to go. I have been updating the thumbs. Try doing a refresh on the page with the browser. With firefox thats a ctrl F5 or bin the cache and get the page again. They are marked as non cachable tho so your browser should go and get a new copy when they change. I am seeing the new images anyway.