PDA

View Full Version : D&D Campaign Continent Map

coffeefery
01-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a D&D campaign. Having gone through the era of Everquest and loved it (the game literally sucked 2 years of my life), I am now trying to recreate a similar experience with a younger generation in the form of a tabletop RPG using D&D4E.

I came across Tear's Saderan tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8086) and am simply thankful for it! As I'm not really a Photoshop guy, it took me a while to try and understand how and why the layers were used. I think I'm still trying to squeeze in the information into my little head. With another map showing part of the region, I came to understand a little more about the tutorial's workflow.

I'd like to share my work-in-progress on mapping out the continents and 'zones', and hope you will like it.

Davros01
01-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Looks pretty good. a couple of possible tweaks.

Some of the text seems hard to read (Could just be me, i'm red/green colorbline)

Also,

You call the one map city of Rowan and plains. Is it a city state system?? If so, i would make Rowan itself stand out a bit more.

I like the ocean and land. very nice

Diamond
01-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Looks pretty darn good!

coffeefery
01-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

@ Davros01: You're right. The text are hard to read. I made the maps at 1650 x 1650 and higher, and when I viewed it at a smaller resolution, some of the text are so small that they are almost non-readable. The yellow glow on a green terrain probably worsened it. I'll try to fix the colors and font size when I update the map. The region map title will probably be changed too, as using the city name as the title is quite misleading. I'm experimenting using drawing images to represent the locations (city, towns, villages, caves, etc.) rather than icons. I think those may work better.

For those interested in tabletop RPGs, I've posted the progress of the D&D campaign with the town map, Wintervale (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=95230#post95230).

mearrin69
01-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Looks pretty good to me. Like your Wintervale map too. Have some rep for posting nice maps...and for fostering the next generation of non-digital gamers!
M

Gandwarf
01-02-2010, 07:19 AM
It's more than nice... it looks very good. Have some rep.

Vorhees
01-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Nice work mate these are pretty good , have some rep

coffeefery
01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks, everyone.

ravells
01-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Just shows you can make a great map without using curved text. Lovely work, coffee!

Ramah
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Very nice looking map indeed. Tear's tutorial is wonderful and there are loads of excellent maps being created from it. Great stuff. :)

Steel General
01-08-2010, 06:32 AM
I think this is quite good. Keep it up! :)

Soth_Dargaard_13
08-10-2010, 03:58 PM
That is Gorgeous:!: