PDA

View Full Version : January Entry: Western Mythkir Bay

Tear
01-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I decided I want to do a contribution to the CWBP, as small as it may be, since I think the project is a great idea.
I picked [Map 29] (Mythkhardia), and I'm planning on doing a regional map of the western part of the bay.

The only problem is, I don't know how much time I will have on my hands later this month, so I guess I need to push this out as fast as possible.

I only have the outlines of the land and the rivers yet, but I'll try to wrap this up during the coming week. I hope I'll be able to deliver.

Rivers are exaggerated.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-04-2010, 12:32 AM
I like it, looks pretty natural and realistic.

Tear
01-04-2010, 03:29 AM
Thanks. I added a border and some very basic terrain.

### Latest WIP ###

Tear
01-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Another quick update. More hills/mountains and some texture.

### Latest WIP ###

Tear
01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Trees

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Dark but pretty...I like dark. :)
M

Tear
01-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Yes, it's dark. I tried to hint at the infested lands spreading in the south. A light color scheme just doesn't cut it for plagued lands.

I was sick at home today, so I tried some things, maybe it turned out a little too dark, reflecting my mood. ;)

mearrin69
01-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Absolutely not too dark...you get the feeling across nicely. If I buy a house there I'm going to look in the northwest corner. :)
M

Tear
01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
I got you covered. ;)
Well... I'm really sick today, and the doctor says it's probably not going to be pleasant for a few weeks. So I decided to add some labels as long as I'm able to. I hope I can pick this up again later in the month, but a labeled version of a WIP is a lot better than to leave it unfinished.

*shakes fist at immunity system*

### Latest WIP ###

Djekspek
01-06-2010, 08:35 AM
absolutely stunning Tear! (definitely a Tear-quality map ;) Not sure if you need to add anything as i love all of it. Still, hope you get well soon!

Tear
01-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Thank you.

Ascension
01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I gotta agree. Not a thing I would change so far just yet...maybe at the end lighten it a lil bit but we'll see. And my best wishes to you also, bro...take care of yourself.

Tear
01-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks Ascension for your encouragement.

I tried to do some new textures for the land, since they are pretty uniform right now, but with the illness creeping up my brain, I just didn't manage.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a whiner usually, but the blurry vision I got today just killed any plans I had. My collage with the original image also has to be scrapped because I can't make out any pixels at the moment.
I was really enthusiastic to get this going, but I just have to give in.

Sorry.

torstan
01-07-2010, 12:24 AM
I think it looks great so far. I like the colours - and even went so far as to place my entry in the middle of the bay! I hope the illness clears up for you and you get a chance to finish this one up.

Ramah
01-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I wasn't sure about this. I thought maybe it was too dark when you were working on the land features and then bam! Labels go on and the whole thing just shines.

I don't think anyone in the guild can label a map like you can. Heh... that sounds like it is damning with faint praise but it isn't meant to. Your labelling always fits the map like a glove.

But... having said that... I really dislike the font you used as the title for your legend. It looks like the same one that was used on that other guy's map... doh... can't remember his name. Anyway, it was the only thing I didn't like about that map either. That and his reddish mountains.

Anyway, great map. Good luck in the challenge and I really hope you start feeling better soon, Tear.

Tear
01-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I'm feeling a bit better today and spent some time working on the map.

I really dislike the font you used as the title for your legend.
I agree it wasn't a very good choice.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
01-10-2010, 08:28 AM
The text is a bit hard to read (for me at least), but other than that it looks really good.

torstan
01-10-2010, 01:22 PM
That's looking great. Lots of good stuff going on there, and I particularly like the subtle waves in the ocean. Very nice indeer.

Tear
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Thank you.
On a side note it's kind of ironic that I try to map part of the Plaguelands and get sick in the process. I definitely should try The Happy Healthylands next.

Ascension
01-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I need to find The Land of Dancing Girls-idorea. :)

Jaxilon
01-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Ya know, that is ironic. Maybe you really get your head into your maps. That's good although you might want to stick with healthy and strong lands :)

Morrinn
01-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Amazing how the map is both very very dark and at the same time beautifully vibrant. This world looks very rich and the map absolutely draws me into it. Great job!

Tear
01-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Thank you. I really hope I'll find some more time to work on this. I took some time off due to sickness and now I have a lot of catching up to do.

GygaxLives
01-17-2010, 03:28 AM
I love the colors on this map. Looks really great.

Immolate
01-25-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm getting some "Jasmine Coast" vibes from this map. Maybe a bit of Pasis and Tom Cardin. I find the style very pleasing from an artistic perspective.

Tear
01-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Thank you very much.
Unfortunately, I have too much on my plate to polish this, but here is the last pic I posted in a slightly higher resolution.
### Latest WIP ###