PDA

View Full Version : January Entry: City of Tyrborg

Djekspek
01-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Great price for this months competition so I'm in. I decided to go for an iso-mapped city. Wanted to give that a try for some time so why not in the challenge. I'll also create the larger scale regional map as a newly created map (hope that fits within the challenge rules...). Never really looked into exact scaling so I'm curious where this will take me... Anyway, here's the draft I made to give an idea what am aiming at... cheers

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-04-2010, 03:29 AM
I love that total freehand look you have going on there.

Redrobes
01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
You have to create one entry which fits in with one or more existing maps already on the guild. The challenge is to fit your map into something else which ideally is someone elses map but we have established that it can be an existing map that you have made yourself but should be on the guild already.

Djekspek
01-04-2010, 10:01 AM
thanks for explaining RedRobes. I was afraid that I got it wrong ... got all fired up and spend today making the overview map getting all excited about it :( ... well, guess I should go looking for a map that fits the oddball stuff in my head. there's many gems around here so I should be able to find some.

Djekspek
01-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi all, somehow hard to find inspiration these days. But dont wanne quit!! ;) ... i wanted to try out some iso city so might as well use this challenge for my experimenting, hoping something good pops up.

first i'm working on a way to do a fast quickstart to get a 3d-ish shape base before moving into details. So the map posted is not how the city is gonna look but just the first results of my headstart experiments. Although its pretty fast (took me about 20mins to make the 3d buildings) it is also pretty destructive so I need to have the base right before raising the thing. next try will be with proper building structures (for this i just used random blobs).

oh by the way, the city will be the port town of Tyrborg -area Qashya Mal- from the CWBP. cheers

ps. maybe one of the CL's could be so kind to rename the thread to '.. city of Tyrborg'. thx ;)

mearrin69
01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
This is going to look nice, I think, BUT...I really like the thing you had going with the regional map and a callout showing the city in iso. Not sure if it's possible to do with your new map but I thought it looked cool. However you go with it I'm sure it'll be sharp!
M

torstan
01-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Using sketchup for the 3D blobs? Looks interesting so far.

Gamerprinter
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I look forward to this map, as its set within my khanate of Qashya Mal, I'd always hoped someone would do some more content in that land! Looking good so far!

Don't let this influence you, but I see Tyrborg as kind of a Grand Duchy of Moscow, Swede-like immigrants from somewhere in northwestern Asium have settled here and established a port to gain some of the wealth from the Grand City of Calishem, the western capital of the Khanate, and the terminus of both the Silk and Spice routes from the east. The viking like peoples of Tyrborg don't take well the foreigner ways of Calishem, however, they maintain their own culture in close proximity to Calishem, across the inland sea of Qashya Mal. The Khans lead the Mongol Hordes from across the endless steppes of Qashya Mal.

While Tyrborg is likened to Moscow, Calishem is like a cross between Baghdad, Constantinople and Samarkand.

GP

Djekspek
01-12-2010, 04:51 PM
ah, so i have to give it a moscow-ish twist.. hmm.. will require some research ;D
@torstan: its all PS with duplicated and shifted layers (bit faster then sketch-up).
@mearrin: maybe i'll try to fit the city in the regional map like my 1st sketch, not sure yet how that will look but i'll give it a go i think

cheers

Gamerprinter
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Your city design looks fine and proper as it is. When I say Moscow, I mean early Moscow, so very much more like a Norse viking city than a Slavic central eastern capital. The Varangian guards of Constantinople during the Byzanteum period were pure Swede vikings, not truly "Russians". While the Norse went into Europe, Iceland and perhaps North America, the Swedes went east into Russia.

You needn't change your city as it looks rather northern European in style already.

GP

Djekspek
01-20-2010, 08:22 AM
only a couple of days left. been struggling a lot with this one :( ... cant seem to get the picture in my head on paper. So yet again another approach and I went back to handdrawing. First handsketch attached, hope i have the time/inspiration to get something decent out of it in a couple of days. deadline is the 25th right? cheers

### Latest Wip ###

Jaxilon
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
DJ, that is cool looking. I like the perspective on it. Hope you find the inspiration!

Steel General
01-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Looking good so far, hope you have time to finish it.

Djekspek
01-20-2010, 03:08 PM
thanks guys, quick update of 1st iteration of detail. still a bit skew on places (I told myself I should use aid-lines but guess i'll never learn) but bit by bit i'll get it right i guess. cheers

### Latest Wip ###

mearrin69
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Looks awesome!
M

Ascension
01-20-2010, 05:23 PM
If it aint broke, don't fix it. You do ISO so well why bother with anything else? Keep on keepin on.

Djekspek
01-21-2010, 10:14 AM
...and another update, more detail and 1st steps in coloring/shading. cheers

### Latest Wip ###

Redrobes
01-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Wow, you render these ISO views so beautifully. Are you going to put a scale on it so we can gauge how big the buildings are.

Djekspek
01-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks RR. I put in a scale (the theme of this month sorta makes it mandatory ;) ). As usual I just scribbled along not really thinking about scale and stuff. Hope it's not way off scale... Now to find a way to fit this into Gamerprinters overland map.. hmm a few more days lefts.. also have to do something about the coloring i think, either make it monochrone or more vivid colors... cheers

### Latest Wip ###

Gandwarf
01-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Beautiful as always Djekspek. Amazing really.
Do you use these drawing skills professionally?

mearrin69
01-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I am totally in awe (and envy) as always over your ISO maps. I would love to be able to do this with my Haibianr map. Have to practice this style someday.
M

Djekspek
01-24-2010, 12:37 PM
hi all, I dropped the map into the overland map. last step would be color tuning, but I may not have the time to do it so this may be the final entry.

@gandwarf: no i'm just scribbling along as a hobbist, wish i could make a living out of it but tbh i think I need to be much much better to do that. But maybe after some more years of practise who knows ;)

cheers

### Latest Wip ###

Gandwarf
01-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Well making a living out of this stuff is hard and practice is always good. I think the quality of your work is already at a professional level, however. You make some amazing maps. I showed this map and The Lands of Sinisteria map to my wife and she was amazed as well. And she is very hard to please ;)

Djekspek
01-25-2010, 08:37 AM
thanks Gandwarf I think that's a great compliment, and of course -always- listen to your wife ;). This is the final entry for the challenge, did some color tuning and threw in some more pieces of scrolls and pencils. Anyway, I loved doing an ISO city and learned a lot :D cheers!

### Latest Wip ###

torstan
01-25-2010, 08:51 AM
It's a great map!

I've got a few minor points (yes I know that you're done - sorry fr not chipping in earlier). I love the fact that it's on top f the regional map. Your shadows are a bit out though. The curled up edge of the city map is castig the same length of shadow as the flat paper - and the same applies for the regional map. You might want to extend the cast shadow there. The label - The City Of Tyborg - might benefit from a slight distort. The perfect lines of the text are a little counter to the hand drawn look, and the quill pen, that you're selling to the viewer. The same point applies to the red dot for Tyrborg on the regional map. That's a perfect circle and doesn't look like any ink in the world. I know that the intent is to make it very clear. However as it's both the most saturated colour in the image and has three separate lines focusing on it (the river, the coast and the pen) it draws the eye away from the city map consistently, unbalancing the image a little. Perhaps having this as an inked cross or just a free hand inked circle in a less saturated red would pull it back a bit.

Hope those are useful comments. I love the image, and the way you've presented it. I've been wondering about an iso city style and you've pulled off a beautiful example. Congratulations.

Djekspek
01-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks Torstan that was really usefull! Composition is hard and these are good pointers! so I had to do some changes ;) ... Also desaturated/darkened the surroundings of the main map trying to pull in the eye... cheers

### Latest Wip ###

torstan
01-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I like that a lot. My eye is now drawn straight to the map, and I notice the regional map second - which I guess is the intent. Going down the same line of composition, the fact that the map is very tightly cropped arouund the top right feels a little claustrophobic. A little more of the mountains to the NE and E would help border the whole image and stop the eye sliding off the right hand side of the frame. This is exacerbated a little with the distance measure being a clear line that runs straight out of frame. However those are minor points. I like it a lot the way it is.

Really good work on the shadowing on the edges - the reduced shadow of the flat sections of parchment works really well. And good job on the text - that blends in nicely now.

Immolate
01-25-2010, 11:52 PM
I think this is your finest work on this board to date. You have created a style that is unique and you alone are its master. I think it's time for a tutorial!

philipstephen
01-26-2010, 12:01 AM
I think just by making this a slightly longer landscape image you could fill in the right hand side of your image, so the full distance bar can be shown and a bit more of the mountains, that should accomplish what Torstan was talking about and make a brilliant map extraordinary...

Djekspek
01-26-2010, 12:39 PM
thanks again for the nice C&C! Ok, one more post ;) just added a little part to the right. @Immolate: As for a tutorial, i already have been thinking about it but since i dont have some 'standard way' and usually start with something blank and start scribbling along, i'm not sure how to get it into descriptive steps. I will give it some more thought though and maybe i can come up with something. cheers

### Latest Wip ###

torstan
01-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Looks great to me. Good work. The one thing I'm not sure of (sorry!) is the saturation difference between the two maps in this version. I'm just looking at the thumbnail as I can't download the full image on this wireless but it seems to be a much larger difference than in the previous post. That pushed it from subtle to a little too obvious for me. Love the mountain range to the east. That work beautifully. I quite like the fade on the east, but perhaps you'd have the edge of a rolled up scroll just peeking in top right? But this is getting into the area of truly minute alterations. I think it's a stunner.

Djekspek
01-26-2010, 01:51 PM
thanks for noticing torstan! i indeed forgot to redo some filters. cheers

### Latest Wip ###