PDA

View Full Version : [WITHDRAWN] January Entry: Western Mythkir Bay - Ship's Graveyard

torstan
01-06-2010, 07:41 PM
So I was in the process of putting together a map for my home game and thought it might fit rather nicely into this month's challenge. I love Tear's dark colours of Mythkir Bay. With the corruption from the south and sparse landscape I thought it could do with an old sea battle. Here's the map so far - a ships graveyard deep beneath the waves of Mythkir Bay:

### Latest WIP ###
--- image has been purchased for an upcoming publication and as such the map has been removed from this thread and the entry withdrawn from the contest. I'll post the edited final when I get permission. Sorry to one and all and best of luck to everyone in the competition ---

Moved from the original WIP thread (with all the associated line art and WIP stuff) here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8621

torstan
01-07-2010, 12:13 AM
And an update with some darker shadows and a few more colours in there.

### Latest WIP ###
--- purchased, removed at client's request ---

Jaxilon
01-07-2010, 02:35 AM
That's cool. Reminds me of my old fish tank from when i was a kid too.

mearrin69
01-07-2010, 03:27 AM
Looking awesome. Love the palette you've got going.
M

DevinNight
01-07-2010, 07:15 AM
That is looking really great. From your refined sketch I could tell this would be a really nice piece of work.

torstan
01-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys. Fiddling with the colours a bit more, added a runic spiral to the sea floor, and a few light rays coming from above to give some sense of depth.

--- purchased, removed at client's request ---

Steel General
01-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Great stuff here Torstan!

torstan
01-07-2010, 02:43 PM
... and a bit more tinkering. I added a subtle lighting effect over all the flat surfaces to simulate the effect of light coming through the surface of the water. To get this I used Clouds+Difference Clouds. Bumped the levels to get sharper lines. Inverted it so that the lines were white. Stretched and squashed the whole thing to get a more elongated pattern. Set the layer to soft light. Masked the whole layer and then brought it back by brushing the mask with a low opacity white fuzzy brush in the regions I wanted to light.

I'm unreasonably pleased with how that came out.

--- Map purchased, removed at client's request ---

Ben
01-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Wicked! Awesome map

Ramah
01-07-2010, 03:02 PM
That lighting effect looks awesome, well done. I just opened up this image and the previous one and kept flicking between them to see it. Great stuff.

Redrobes
01-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Oh this looks real nice. A view of some underwater map from above thin sea yeah ? Nice. Do you have a link to the map where its to be placed into ?

Edit - Ahh I get it, Tears entry this month. Thats very recursive :!:

torstan
01-07-2010, 03:11 PM
My plan was to drop it into Tear's Western Mythkir Bay:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8584

It was technically on the site first because he started the challenge before me, but I understand if you'd rather have it placed elsewhere?

The effect is supposed to be the sea floor as viewed by someone underwater. The dappled light comes from the light scattering as it comes through the surface of the water above the viewer. When this goes into maptool this weekend there will be kraken - hence the enormous scale. If you notice the grid size allows for a 20 by 20 creature to hide inside the wrecked ships.

torstan
01-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Compass added:

--- Image removed - purchased by client ---

arxhon
01-08-2010, 07:49 PM
That is freakin' sweet! Nice work.8)

Djekspek
01-09-2010, 07:04 AM
oh la la. pure art man! love the linework and colors are awesome! I just got my open water diving license so i'll be searching for this bugger soon ;) One tiny detail: the deck of the ship in the top-left is slightly off-color (too bright) behind the railing part. losing some 3d effect of the railing coming out. anyway, amazing job!

Redrobes
01-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Torstan, you should get a copy of Tears map and put an X on it where you think this map is located.

torstan
01-09-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm afraid I'm going to have to retire this map. It has been purchased.

I'm afraid to say that I've had to take down the maps as a result. I'll repost the final if I get clearance once it appears in print. Can a CL please mark this thread withdrawn?

Gandwarf
01-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Aww... I wasn't even in time to see the first version of this map :(

Redrobes
01-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Shame, but good news for you I bet :) You could always enter again with another attempt at a different place. You never know, that one might sell too :D

### Latest WIP ###

Ramah
01-10-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm intrigued to know who it was that purchased your map. I assume it was one of your usual publishers?

Anyway, a shame to see this pulled out as it was really beautiful and stood a good chance of winning.

Grats on the sale though. :)

torstan
01-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Yep, I seem to be fated never to get one of those compasses :) It was indeed one of my usual clients. I'll hold back the name because I'm not sure they want it out but it should be in print in early April. I'll post the version that gets printed when I have permission.

They were clear that they didn't mind the earlier sketches being out and about, and they're still in the original WIP thread here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8621

mearrin69
01-10-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm sorry I won't get a chance to vote for your lovely map this month...but congratulations on the sale!
M

industrygothica
01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I want to say that I'm sorry that you had to withdraw your entry... but considering *why* you had to withdraw, I'm not sure there's really much to be sorry about. I kinda wish I had that problem...

On the upside, I'm glad to see my "entry withdrawn" tile is being put to good use. ;)

Congrats on selling your map. You should be making a killing as good as you are.

-IG

Jaxilon
01-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Congrats on the sale Torstan. Very deserving.

Personally, I look over the entries and I'm thinking to myself, "Holy Crap, how am I going to compete with these guys? I've got no time, I've got no food, my pet's heads are falling off.....oh wait, that was a line from a movie. :)"

Seriously, the entries have been amazing and while I figure myself unlikely to place against some of these, like yours, I can't help but improve the more I can stand in the arena.

There is really nice work going on here and I want to thank you for posting because if nothing else, it helps me see what can be done.

Ascension
01-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Don't feel too bad, Jax...I enter every month and I only have 1 win :) It does push one to go further and do better, though, and that's the whole point. I kinda learn by osmosis :)

torstan
01-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Well I'm not sure I could call it a killing just yet, but it's consistent which is remarkably nice. Thanks for all the kind words.

@Jax: Amusingly enough that's exactly what I think most months looking at the contest! There's a consistently high level of quality. However I love the fact that this community gives encouragement and advice to all entrants. You'll get better by entering. And one month it will be your idea that stands out and gets the votes. Not to mention that it's a great incentive to work to a deadline.

Redrobes
01-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah I get better each map I do.... but unfortunately so does everyone else. You should go back and look at them a year or two ago and whilst good the newer ones just get better and better. I entered every month from about Jan 08 to mid last year and my highest position was a 2nd place and I think even then that was in a month where only three entered and one sorta dropped out. So we started the Lite challenge and you cant enter if you win it once. You gotta do it for the fun or else you would lose heart with it.

Now maybe if we can persuade more publications to purchase all the best entries then theres new hope for me :)