PDA

View Full Version : January Entry: Romeda

industrygothica
01-07-2010, 05:34 AM
Romeda is a region in my new world map (WIP thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8212)), which has yet to be named. I think the majority of the mapping is finished, barring any c&c I might consider. Mostly what's left is the labeling, and whatever extras I think to add.

-IG

industrygothica
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
I whitened up the snow-covered northern coast, and added some foliage and a shield.

### Latest WIP ###

torstan
01-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Looking really good. Like the subtle colouring on the shield.

Ascension
01-07-2010, 09:22 PM
It reminds me of a really scuffed up ceramic tile piece. The scratches might be a bit heavy, but that's my opinion, shrug. Otherwise, I think it looks pretty nice.

industrygothica
01-07-2010, 11:39 PM
It reminds me of a really scuffed up ceramic tile piece. The scratches might be a bit heavy, but that's my opinion, shrug. Otherwise, I think it looks pretty nice.

I thought the same thing, actually... I lowered the opacity of that layer to about 65% and it looks a lot better. I'll upload when I've got more to show.

Thanks for the comments.

-IG

Steel General
01-08-2010, 07:45 AM
I think this looks good. But for me, the 'border' is a bit overwhelming - as in it distracts from the map itself.

industrygothica
01-08-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm glad you said that about the border. To me it looked too much like Tear's, only nowhere near as good--which makes sense really, being the inspiration that he is. But still... I changed it up; hopefully it's not as distracting now.

I also turned down the opacity of the scratches a bit. I think it looks better, what about you?

*Edit* might help if I actually attached the image... I also attached the base map for a scale reference.

### Latest WIP ###
20136 20135

hubbardmapworks
01-08-2010, 12:05 PM
like the soft colors, easy on the eyes.
the full extent map to the left looks great also.

Ascension
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I'd say it's ready for labels. That color scheme is all sorts of cool.

industrygothica
01-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Added some labels and roads. Still tons more to go, unfortunately. I suck at labeling.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-09-2010, 12:41 AM
I think it looks really nice except for the tan text is a bit hard to read...just a bit, nothing big at all. Feymoors and Tragic Jungle look great so for the towns I'd add a fatter stroke in either a dark gray or a medium dark brown...with that you might have to spread them out a bit with the tracking. The river labels probably need to be spread out a bit, too, so that the letters don't run together. Overall it looks pretty damn sweet, bro.

torstan
01-09-2010, 12:59 AM
I agree with Ascension. Spreading the letters out wold work nicely with that text. Also might be worth putting a small curve on the labels to settle them into the map a little? Looking good.

industrygothica
01-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Took your advice.. I also added a bunch more labels and a scale bar. Almost there!

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Yep, that looks great, man. Nice.

Ramah
01-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Very nice map IG. It's really coming together.
Personally I preferred the first labelling you did. I like the style of lettering more on the second but it just seems that every label is curved for the sake of it. To me the first one looks a lot classier.

The only other thing I don't like about the map is the mountains. It's not your fault though, I just have a personal problem with those type of mountains with the little fishbone spurs sticking out. They always look too artificial to me. Or maybe it is the texturing on those type of mountains I don't like, too fussy and metallic when the rest of the map has a lovely distressed, impressionistic vibe going on.

Still, really good stuff happening here. Good luck in the challenge. :)

torstan
01-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I like it. I see the point Ramah, but I think it's a matter of taste.

industrygothica
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
I lessened the curve on the labels so that there's just a hint. I also lowered the opacity just a bit to blend it better.

I softened the mountains a little and changed the texture to something not quite as sharp. I think it blends a little better... at least I hope so, because there's no going back now.

Thankfully there is still a lot of time left on this challenge. I still have a lot of labeling to do, and the creative juices just aren't flowing right now.

All in all I'm happy with this map. With torstan, Tear, and Djekspek all entering I don't think I'll have a shot, but it is fun nonetheless. And I've learned a lot, and I guess that's the most important thing.

Thanks for your help--I'm looking forward to more of it! :lol:

### Latest WIP ###

Redrobes
01-09-2010, 03:22 PM
This looks great. Not only does it look like a great quality map but it also matches up with the existing reference map very well. Seems like a strong contender if you ask me and tho there's only one golden compass theres three copies of my app to win.

industrygothica
01-10-2010, 08:00 AM
With an inset depicting the location of Romeda in relation to the rest of the world.

### Latest WIP ###

Djekspek
01-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Awesome job IG. gratz on this beautiful piece! I really like the matching styles.

industrygothica
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Here's a small update. Added some labels and texture, and I updated the inset as well.

### Latest WIP ###

industrygothica
01-22-2010, 03:06 AM
A very minor update in case I don't have time later. Maybe the last, depending upon inspiration.

### Latest WIP ###

Immolate
01-25-2010, 11:46 PM
IG: nice distressing and gorgeous colors. The whole things has a snappy commercial appeal to it. I think you're onto something.