PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Lyund

hnc3313
01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Starting a new city/town map, mostly for playing with the awesome Gimp Mosaic Tutorial by Torstan (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3392).

So, this is mostly for learning - not for a campaign or anything -- hopefully something decent will come out!

I'm using Gimp, and so far, I've drawn in the roads! Buildings and color come next!

hnc3313
01-07-2010, 08:46 PM
So, Torstan's tutorial is awesome for generating buildings. One thing I wanted to do with this map, however, is get some more variation into the building layout by iterating on the basic premise of the tutorial.

The idea is to do a couple of mosaics - starting with big buidings, and working down to smaller ones to fit into the remaining pieces.

Attached is the progress so far - the first iteration used the Octagons & Squares Mosaic with a tile size ~90. The goal there was to make a very few large buildings, so the threshold was adjusted till few of the buildings were still showing.

The second iteration used the Squares pattern with tile size ~50, to fill in more of the spaces with buildings. Some finagling with the Shrink/Grow selection was used to make sure the second set of buildings didn't overlap and make the first look weird.

hnc3313
01-07-2010, 10:28 PM
2 iterations later. I think this might be the end of the building placement phase -- I like the effect of multiple iterations, but it gets expensive in terms of time, since the nth iteration requires n cleanups (1 for the roads and n-1 for each previous layer).

Roofs and color to follow next.

hnc3313
01-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Bump maps and Grass added -- roads to follow!

hnc3313
01-07-2010, 11:18 PM
So here it is after the rest of the recommendations from the tutorial for roads and building shadows.

I think it looks okay -- I think some of the smaller buildings look too pebbly, perhaps. Any ideas on how to fix?

Ascension
01-08-2010, 12:13 AM
I can't really offer any help but my thought is that the buildings look rather angular and not really "building-like". I haven't done the tut so it might be from the tut itself. In any case I would use the tut as a base template for where to put stuff and go back and put in more "building-like" shapes on top of those places. Sorry I can't be of more help with the tut, though.

Jaxilon
01-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Call it Orcs with no tape measures and I think it works pretty well.

I don't think you can get the squares dead on using the mosaic. It gives more of a rough, from a distance, view. Up close it is pretty but looses some of it's city-ness.

Still for slapping out the idea of a city quickly it might be useful.