PDA

View Full Version : [Award Winner] Fun with Wilbur, Volume 6 - Islands

waldronate
01-09-2010, 01:06 AM
http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/FunWithWilburVol6/index.html has a baby tutorial that shows how to make quick islands with Wilbur. The examples in the attachment were each created in well under 15 seconds each.

There is another use for this basic process which will become apparent in Volume 7 (I still need a bit more coding to make that particular process a little more tractable).

Ascension
01-09-2010, 01:12 AM
I'll have to check this out over the weekend. I dabble with Wilbur so I don't know the true power but I know enough (thanks to you) to get by.

su_liam
01-09-2010, 02:45 PM
This is good stuff. Frankly, I'm more interested in the expression analysis than the technique itself. The old quickstart guide for 1.26 has a bunch of stuff like creating spiral galaxy forms in Wilbur that only partly translate to the current version. A little more information on how to work with math functions in Height Field Computation is always welcome. Very welcome.

Alfar
01-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Great to see some new stuff with Wilbur. Good fun ;)

su_liam
01-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Don't forget to rate the thread, folks!

zhar2
01-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Oh nice, i myself use wilburn alot.

Greason Wolfe
01-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Since I've started using it, I've become a huge fan of Wilbur. There are still several features I haven't quite figured out yet, but there are some that I'm absolutely (figuratively speaking) in love with.

GW

waldronate
01-15-2010, 04:54 AM
Since I've started using it, I've become a huge fan of Wilbur. There are still several features I haven't quite figured out yet, but there are some that I'm absolutely (figuratively speaking) in love with.

Only several features you haven't figured out yet? I should have you update the documentation...

Greason Wolfe
01-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Only several features you haven't figured out yet? I should have you update the documentation...

Ahhh . . . . Um . . . Let me rephrase that . . .

Several DOZEN features maybe?

Regardless, I'm having fun experimenting even if some of the experiments take a few hours.

Teeeheeee

GW

waldronate
01-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Drat! I have a note attached to my computer reminding me to update the documentation but the eternal struggle between new code or old documentation is heavily weighted to one side.

waldronate
11-23-2013, 02:03 AM
To get a cylindrical noise field in Wilbur, use Filter>>Calculate Height Field. Select Type=Math Function and enter "ridged(1*cos(2*pi*ix/ixsize),1*sin(2*pi*ix/ixsize),4*iy/iysize)" as the expression. The 1* terms are the radius of the cylinder in noise space (larger values will get smaller noise) and the 4* term is the height of the cylinder in noise space. "ridged(x,y,z)" is the ridged fractal noise function ( "fbm(x,y,z)" is the fractional brownian motion function ). The "ix/ixsize" term computes a function from 0 to 1 horizontally in the image; the "iy/iysize" term computes a function from 0 to 1 vertically in the image. 2*pi*t converts a number from 0 to 1 into one ranging from o to two*pi (in other words, an angle). The cos(t),sin(t) item computes x and y from an angle t.