PDA

View Full Version : How to make the smart little trees and mountains?

SubLordHawk
01-10-2010, 09:21 PM
It may simply be that I've overlooked it in my quick search. How do you get the smart little trees for forests and the LOTR style moutains in your maps? :?:

Ascension
01-10-2010, 09:28 PM
A lot of us hand-drawn our stuff with a tablet but for those who need something quick there are premade brushes available in the Mapping Elements section.

SubLordHawk
01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
A lot of us hand-drawn our stuff with a tablet but for those who need something quick there are premade brushes available in the Mapping Elements section.

I don't have a tablet but thats starting to seem like a good investment, thanks I'll check it out.

Coyotemax
01-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Some of us use a combination too - draw out with a tablet, then turn the drawings into brushes :)

But yes, a tablet is an excellent investment!

SubLordHawk
01-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry do u mean so u can 'paint' them straight on? And if so how would one go about such a thing? Thanks

Ascension
01-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Yep, you can paint them right in. Of course you should increase the spacing so that they become separated and not one big blob. Gimp uses the image and basically places numerous clones, or stamps, down (even in color) while Photoshop uses a grayscale to define the line-shape of the brush.

SubLordHawk
01-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Yep, you can paint them right in. Of course you should increase the spacing so that they become separated and not one big blob. Gimp uses the image and basically places numerous clones, or stamps, down (even in color) while Photoshop uses a grayscale to define the line-shape of the brush.

I only got Gimp yesterday and I'm rather pleased with it :D but because of that I have no idea how I set it up to do that, would you or anohter be so kind enough as to explain quickly? Cheers

Ascension
01-10-2010, 11:08 PM
I can't walk you through it step by step because I know very little about Gimp but the process should be pretty similar to PS. Download a brush set, unzip it, place the brush files in the proper folder (probably something called "brushes" in the Gimp folder), and then start up the program. Once there, choose your new brush and check the brush properties then increase the spacing.

SubLordHawk
01-10-2010, 11:11 PM
I can't walk you through it step by step because I know very little about Gimp but the process should be pretty similar to PS. Download a brush set, unzip it, place the brush files in the proper folder (probably something called "brushes" in the Gimp folder), and then start up the program. Once there, choose your new brush and check the brush properties then increase the spacing.

OK Thanks :)

Juggernaut1981
01-11-2010, 06:08 PM
SubHawk>
Step #1: There is a GIMP Tutorial... go there, it's great.
Step #2: There are a bunch of other GIMP tutorials and RobA is the GIMP-God. Please make all offerings of sacrifical lambs to him and you'll get the GIMP-Wisdom you need...

kurisari
02-15-2010, 06:12 AM
I don't have a tablet, I have to draw with a mouse. :[ I'm actually very good though!

But personally, I use brushes I find on deviantArt. There are a few pretty decent ones for trees and mountains. Search "map" under Photoshop Brushes, is what I did.

I probably would've come here for the brushes, but I didn't know this place existed back then! :!:

RobA
02-16-2010, 01:49 PM
(Moved thread out of the tutorial forum into the regional maps forum)

-Rob A>

TheMarcus7
02-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I only got Gimp yesterday and I'm rather pleased with it :D but because of that I have no idea how I set it up to do that, would you or anohter be so kind enough as to explain quickly? Cheers

Basically, every time you select something in GIMP, it makes that selection a brush on your brush pallete. You can see it in the upper left corner of the brushes. You can save a selection as a brush as well, so that you always have it.

.TM7