PDA

View Full Version : People working on D&D worlds?

eilix
01-11-2010, 04:13 AM
Hello peoples, my curiousity is getting the best of me here... How many other people here are working on creating their own Dungeons & Dragons worlds? And what system (AD&D 1e, 2e...D&D 3 or 3.5)?

As for me, I'm a lover of AD&D 2e. Working on "world attempt #4" according to the top of all my note sheets. Yeah #4...the first 3 were given up on due to a loss of interest and loss of help. Sad really, I lost my 2 artists and now I have to learn to make my own world map. Using CC3 at the moment, don't much care for it. I think that is just being new to the software though.

Oops! Got myself a little off topic there...sorry it happens alot with me (maybe add (lol pun...)). Well anyhow, I have gotten a good start with all my paperwork involved in this enormous endeavor. Decided to go with an elf dominated world, being ruled by a new sub-race of my own making (that is the part of world building I'm good at - the writing and crazy imagination work).

Currently I'm stuck with the whole map thing, I have a beautiful picture of the world in my mind, but my stupid fingers can't make my smart computer make it appear on my screen. [Sigh] only if computers could just read my mind...

Ok enough of my nonsensical rambling...well for the moment at least. Let's here about your projects!

Steel General
01-11-2010, 06:57 AM
I've been working on mine (even though I don't play anymore) off and on for about 10 years (link in my sig if you're interested).

Korash
01-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Working on mine since the early eighties.....and it has gone through all DnD versions except the latest, Pathfinder, Rollmaster (er...Role Master) and a few others. :) I have most of the land masses at least sketched out, but I have discovered that I absolutely suck at terrain features by hand. Which brought me here a few years ago. I have since tried my hand at using progs and am starting to make some headway. I wish I had more time to devote to it though. :(

Gamerprinter
01-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Of course the new members don't know it, but I'm still working on my commercial setting for Pathfinder RPG - Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting.

I've already published my first adventure, as part of a three part introductory campaign called The Gift. Part 2 of The Gift: Dim Spirit has been on hiatus for a few months due to failed contract negotiations with the primary publisher. So now it looks like Part 2 will be published as an imprint under Rite Publishing. Expect to see it out sometime in late February - as both my commission workload and Steve Russel of Rite Publishing is a bit full at the moment.

Think Oriental Adventures crossed with Ravenloft, to get a feel of what my setting is all about. There are numerous maps in the Finished forums, WIP forums and a thread dedicated to this project here in the General Forum.

Of course I am always looking to create other worlds for publication as well, but Kaidan is my first.

GP

NeonKnight
01-11-2010, 03:09 PM
I have a world I have been working on since around 1980 or so.

Notsonoble
01-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Working off and on on mine... almost all my map postings are from it as well... Probably should get back to it...

Ascension
01-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I make a new world just about every other week. If I were writing or gaming I'm sure that'd be different.

Juggernaut1981
01-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I was a big fan of 3.5E, started out with 2E, loathe 4E for non-mechanics reasons (if you're at all interested I can go into a long-ish rant but lets just say that I don't think 4E is designed to tell good stories).

One of my current projects (taking a bit of a back seat cause I'm feeling 'uninspired' at the moment) is designing an RPG System. Based in the background concepts of both Pathfinder and D&D3.5E, but playing around with a lot of the other aspects in an effort to balance out the classes (removing the 15th-level wizard can destroy the world before lunch and trying to make sure there are no Pun-Puns or other rort-tastic-cheese-specials). I can tell you that trying to balance out combat with magic can take some serious effort (especially in not over-nerfing spells).

I'm currently doing the map for my 3rd World. I designed one in 9 months with a team of friends for a convention style game. This included designing cities, heraldry, racial backgrounds, world layout, world history, political systems, legal systems, gods, etc, etc, etc.

I've also done work with GamerPrinter *points up* on his Kaidan Project. Some mild design work and creating a lot of text for the adventure he mentioned. Helping out a couple of others around the boards with their political/social systems...

If you're interested, send me a message and/or check out the stuff I've done so far through my Sig.

Locution
01-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't think 4E is designed to tell good stories I love that you said this. I gave up D&D when 4e came out and my PCs wanted to make the switch from 3.5 I thought they were all crazy and threw in the towel. Incedentally my world for which I have completed one map on this forum was originally a D&D campaign setting and it went through every edition I can remember beginning with whichever edition was before AD&D.

JoeyD473
01-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm am currently (still) working on a city which is part of the third world I have crated and it is for 3.5. The last world was 3.5 and the first was 2E

Xyll
01-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I am using it for my pathfinder campaign that started out in 3rd edition. I have not even touched my older worlds that I made for 2nd edition D&D. Sometimes I miss the older systems. Started with Basic D&D first, character creation took 2 minutes at most.

drow
01-12-2010, 01:04 AM
i've tended to create my own worlds for my D&D campaigns. a lot of completely fantastic worlds, a few based on earth history, and one published setting (eberron, which became a very different place by the time i was through with it). my next D&D 4e campaign is going to be set in an ecumenopolis, a world-spanning city with a population in the trillions, and vast sprawling dungeons beneath it all. damned if i'm going to map that one. :)

i disagree wrt D&D 4e and storytelling. but to each their own, it's all good.

Tom_Cardin
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
All the maps I have posted here so far have been for my various D&D campaigns. I play with two different groups of players. My first group is the longest running, we have been playing AD&D with homebrew and houserules since 1980. I have scanned in numerous maps on now 30 year old paper to restore them and give them new life, though for some of them the campaigns are just an old memory.

My second group is a 4e campain in which I am just a player. My son is working on a 4e campain and I have begun working on his campaign map for him, from his initial sketches.

I find that when a D&D world lives in my head I can get it down on paper well and from there its much easier to take it to the computer where the creative process has to mix with a technical process to bring the map to digital life.

Redrobes
01-12-2010, 07:08 PM
I have worked on a few worlds, some a long time ago but now I stick with the CWBP cos I like the way people add to it if I am not :) . In my sig is a link to keywords index and that has a worlds section with loads of posts for peoples worlds in them.

Lwaxana
01-14-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm always crating worlds. although the one I'm working on now is by far the most detailed one I've ever done. I'm barely done with one third of the largest continent.

ProjectThanatos
01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
I've been working on a D&D world for the past 10 years. It originated as a 2.0 campaign and has survived up to 3.5. I refuse to transfer it over to 4.0 rules as I feel 4.0 is far more of a skirmish game than a role-playing game.

El Bob
01-16-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm actually making my first attempt at world design for a 3e campaign. Previously, I just used published settings, but I'm enjoying the creative process of making my own.

Carnifex
01-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Have made a few worlds for my own roleplaying campaigns but nothing really finished.

Not long ago I started working on a new campaign setting called Morhaven. Will not be directly aimed at Dungeons and Dragons though. Map posted in the gallery here. i'm aiming high and will try to publish it myself this year.

Zolgar
01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm working on a world for a 3.5 game.. I've had a lot of game worlds in the past, and they have almost always been 1 or 2 shot, hardly documented at all.. I'm actually being semi-serious about this world though, as I want to be able to use it in the future..

Problem is, I am pretty much always entirely alone in working on my worlds, and I'm lazy >.>

JoeyD473
01-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Problem is, I am pretty much always entirely alone in working on my worlds, and I'm lazy >.>

I have the same problem

Zolgar
01-20-2010, 04:41 AM
I have the same problem

So what we need to do, is collaborate on a project, and motivate eachother! >.>

Or, we go to work on a project, and instead start talking about D&D, and maybe playing a video game!

ProjectThanatos
01-20-2010, 11:14 AM
So what we need to do, is collaborate on a project, and motivate eachother! >.>

Or, we go to work on a project, and instead start talking about D&D, and maybe playing a video game!

If we head down that track we'd NEVER get anything done haha!

Gamerprinter
01-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Although the link has been removed to one of our sister sites - for you world builders, it might be worth checking out.
http://www.thecbg.org - which is the campagin builders guild. I"ve gotten some help there myself.

GP

arsheesh
01-20-2010, 08:54 PM
I've been working on my own homebrew campaign world for D&D 3.5 on and off for about 4 years now. It has gone through at least two major revisions, both of which occurred as a response to creating new hand drawn maps whose topography differed from their predecessors. I am currently working on my third map, this one done in GIMP, and already I'm facing another serious revision of my campaign world; sigh...

By the way; for all you campaign builders out there, are you familiar with Obsidian Portal? It is a terrifically handy campaign/wiki sight for building your world. Here is the link:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/

Hope this is useful to some of you.

Cheers,

Arsheesh.

Vorhees
01-22-2010, 07:37 AM
hi mate , i have dabbled in my own worlds since i started playing which was way way back (Early 1980's) but have got serious on it off late and its now coming together. the world is not based in a specific rules set as we play both 3.5 and AD&D 2nd Edition , if i do do NPC'c it will prob be in 3.5 though.

industrygothica
01-23-2010, 12:03 PM
I've thought about creating my own world for a few years, but have only just now started on it. My challenge entry for this month, the region of Romeda, is pat of that world (the inset on the Romeda map is a map of the entire world). I haven't done any work on it beyond the basic mapping, but I'm currently shifting a 4e pbp game I'm running at EN World into that world, so hopefully it will get a little development from that.

If you're looking to collaborate on something, might I suggest our own CWBP? That is exactly what it was designed for.

-IG

MINIMAN1974
01-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I currently help with work on a shared world called gathis (www.gathis.com) which supports 2e and 3.5. I've also worked on my own homebrew world for 3.5 in the past (called Ice Horn Seas) for which i ran games for about 2 years.

eilix
08-25-2011, 03:06 AM
Ressurection! Lol, I was searching around just for something to do. Looking at some samples given for D&D map requests and came across my first thread here! 3 pages! I'm glad to see it made it that far. A little sad its been dormant for over a year now though.

Sadly enough, life caught up with me and I had to abandon my map making ventures. Recently decided to have another try at it in my extremely sparse free time, and well realised that I dont really have the time practice enough to get good at it. Probably won't for another 20 years or so now.

All in all, seeing 3 pages here makes me smile. Thats good enough for me!