PDA

View Full Version : Hello Map Makers!

JonathanKE
01-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Hello everyone,

My name is Jonathan and I am planning out a fantasy novel and have had a bit of trouble making a map that I'm satisfied with. I have a Mac, but I am unfamiliar with software one might use. The cultures in my novel are based on real cultures, but I don't want my map to look like the real world. I just want it to be somewhat similar. Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
~Jonathan

NeonKnight
01-12-2010, 01:51 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

Ascension
01-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Well, there are a lot of options out there to choose from. You could go raster program like Photoshop, Painter, Paint Shop, or Gimp (free). Then there are vector programs like Illustrator, Inkscape and CorelDraw. Then there are things like Campaign Cartographer, Fractal Terrains, and Autorealm. I'd suggest that you look through the Finished Maps section to see what grabs your eye and then look at the author and under his/her name we try to list what software we use. You could also look through the Software Discussion thread for more ideas on programs.

Steel General
01-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Ascension pretty much covered the software response I had.

JonathanKE
01-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I have GIMP, so if there's any recommended methods you can throw my way, I'd love that. Specifically, I would love to create a map that can be tiled (though I wouldn't actually tile it) so that it functions like a real map, i.e. oceans are connected, land masses are connected, the thing could be folded into a cylinder.

Many thanks again!
~Johnny

RobA
01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I have GIMP, so if there's any recommended methods you can throw my way, I'd love that. Specifically, I would love to create a map that can be tiled (though I wouldn't actually tile it) so that it functions like a real map, i.e. oceans are connected, land masses are connected, the thing could be folded into a cylinder.

Many thanks again!
~Johnny

With both top and bottom connecting It would be a toroidal world!

If generating land masses from a fractal base, most programs allow for that type of tillable mapping.

-Rob A>

Juggernaut1981
01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
RobA> you couldn't resist being deliberately dense could you... :P

Welcome aboard Jonathon.