PDA

View Full Version : Town illustration

torstan
01-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Not a map, but I thought it might be interesting. An illustration commissioned for an author's website:

The website is here:
http://www.saffiredrake.com/

Steel General
01-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Very nice!

RjBeals
01-14-2010, 12:56 PM
wow.. great job. thanks for sharing.

jbgibson
01-14-2010, 04:35 PM
That's a map, the viewpoint is just sideways instead of straight down :-). And it's very nice - makes me want to walk down that street and see what's at the bottom of the hill...

torstan
01-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks! Illustration is all a little new and I still have a lot to learn, but I'm pretty happy with the first foray :) Any crits more than appreciated.

Ramah
01-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Lovely illustration, Torstan.

What are the little sparkly things along the edges of the houses?

I had a look on that book website to see how the image was used and it has been wrecked by the way. :S

Redrobes
01-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Nice pic ! Well done.

I had a look on that book website to see how the image was used and it has been wrecked by the way. :S

You wern't kidding there :o

torstan
01-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Yep, I know. The author likes using saturation adjustments, and well she did commission it so I can't really turn around and tell her how it should be used...

The sparkly things are smatterings of fairy dust. I'm not sure I did the world's best job of fitting it into the image but I'm pretty happy with them. The town is inside a large semi-transparent golden dome, which is the reason for the slightly odd sky.

Redrobes
01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Talking about illustrators did you catch this you tube - I thought it was well cool thats all. http://www.youtube.com/v/IqjWP18hPHE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0

ravells
01-14-2010, 07:46 PM
God the re-working of the image is horrific.

@redrobes...I just get hugely jelous when I see stuff like that. Ah... it would be massiveblack.

torstan
01-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Yep, I saw that progress video. Really stunning. Interesting to see all the stages he goes through - and all the different mediums. There's a huge amount of groundwork before he starts the oils. Very interesting.

Redrobes
01-15-2010, 04:11 PM
What I am always jealous of is the way that almost every line and every stroke is just right - all the time. The image cant exist so it must be in his head and it must be so clear and he has the ability to transfer it to the work. And yeah with all these fast forward speed up videos of art you see them put many more layers of stuff on than I would have imagined required. Each layer of course just makes it that much better each time. I think I would not know what to do to make it any better after about 25% of their progress. The biggest revelation for me is just how far id need to improve to be in that league. Bleh... its always so great to see this sort of stuff - well anything thats done so well it hurts.

torstan
01-15-2010, 04:49 PM
You're dead right. I see them get to a point and think "that looks like it's done" and then look down to see they're not even halfway in yet. Same with some of the WIPs on the Concept Art forums. I really need to figure out what people do with the second half of all that time!

Jaxilon
01-18-2010, 05:19 AM
lol, I did the same thing Torstan. Thinking it was done looked down to see the video was only about half way through.

I am a bit rusty but I could probably do the pencil side of that and then I'd be stumped. I just never got that much into paint.

Great job on the cover art you did.