PDA

View Full Version : Asterix and Obelix Project

Davros01
01-15-2010, 06:28 AM
well,

My world map for the refuge campaign setting is finihsed, so now i need a new project. I've decided to try and create a style based on the Asterix and Obelix comics. Its gonna be a challenge. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached is my first sample. mainly just trying to get the colors down.

Sapiento is working on some symbols for me based on the comics. I love Asterix and Obelix.

It is meant to be cartoony and bright.

ravells
01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Oh what a great idea! I love Asterix too. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Uderzo's style of drawing looks deceptively simple but it's really hard to reproduce, best of luck!

Davros01
01-15-2010, 02:56 PM
thx,

it is definitely difficult. if you have any tips, let me know. cauz i'm already finding it tough. i'm not sure i'm going to be able to duplicate the brush stroke style, but hopefully the colors and theme.

Marc

Davros01
01-16-2010, 09:54 AM
I think I have the land about right. Astob (My name for the style for Asterix and Obelix) has a blue outer glow and an orangy inner glow) anyone familiar with Astob please let me know if i've got it about right.

thx,
Marc

Vorhees
01-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Nice Work Dude , cant wait for more, i love the look

NeonKnight
01-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Can't wait, but for us old fudiedudies who haven't seen an Asterix Comic in oooooooo say 30 some odd years, please post an example of what you are trying to make.

Davros01
01-16-2010, 06:56 PM
its not going to be exact. i know, i'm not nearly as talented, and I can't use photoshop. but i am trying to get the spirit. any help as i progress will be greatly appreciated as always.

thx,
Marc

Ramah
01-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I used to love the Asterix books when I was young. But like Neon I haven't seen them for... well... I'll say 20 or so years so I guess I'm not as old as he is. :P

Really looking forward to seeing what you can do with this.

Davros01
01-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Here is the latest of the ASTOB style. now that I'm looking at Asterix and Obelix, there aren't that many colors in the large scale maps. Tell me what you think. Attached is a simple little map using my new unrefined style. Critiques most welcome.

Marc

NeonKnight
01-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Looks good so far. A few things to try.

Go to the left side of the screen's tools. There is one that shows a Straight line and Jagged line (right next to the Stick of Dynamite Button). Right clicking that allows you the choice of Straight -> Smooth. This will smooth out your island's coasts and mke it more natural looking.

Also, try to make your bevel less severe.

Steel General
01-17-2010, 08:38 AM
I was wondering about the look you were going for - Asterix/Obelix didn't ring any bells (or I'm to old and deaf to hear them :D).

Ascension
01-17-2010, 09:41 AM
We don't have them over here in the states so it didn't ring any bells for me either so I'm just watching.

torstan
01-17-2010, 09:46 AM
They are some of the funniest cartoons ever created. Highly recommended for all - and have jokes for both kids and adults. They're something of a British staple - even though they're really French.

Good start on the map. I'd suggest fading out to a much lighter sea colour. It gets to almost white in your example image. Also, the shadow on the coastline is only around the bottom edge. Your bevel has it along the right hand edge. By having a shadow along the bottom it lends a subtle nod towards an isometric view - which fits in with the slightly side on view of the buildings in the detail. Less shadow on the mountains too - a the moment the scale is very large on those.

Excellent idea to take this one on! Very much looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Davros01
01-17-2010, 06:05 PM
made some changes based on feedback.

- tried to make the mountain bevel less severe.
- more fading of the ocean
- less shadow on the mountain

** not sure how to accomplish the bevel TOR was talking about.

Marc

torstan
01-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Actually looking at the coast that looks fine.

Next step I'd say you should add some yellow into the plains - just a little, not a lot.

Davros01
01-18-2010, 02:44 AM
Added yellow per the latest suggestion. I think it looks fairly good, keep the comments coming. i'm having alot of fun with the ASTOB design.

Marc

ravells
01-18-2010, 04:16 AM
I'm not sure whether CC3 has a colour picker, but if not, here are the RGB values of the terrain which you might want to make into a pallette.

Best

Ravs

Davros01
01-18-2010, 05:28 AM
Ravells,

thanks for the great feedback. I have two versions. one which has the true to form version you provided minus the land color (233, 85, 83 - it comes out redish... i think its supposed to come out a yellowish color for the land) and one with my more bold look. The reason for my own look is that I'm red/green color blind and have trouble seeing the very close light green/light yellow. let me know which you like best. If the forum sees the true to form case best, i'll stick with it.

I did change the water color, and mountain colors to reflect the true colors you suggested tho

thx,
marc

ravells
01-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Sorry, my typo: It should read: 234,231,81.

I think the tough part for you in using CC3 to try to duplicate the look is that the greens and yellows of the land are mixed up with each other down to the pixel level. Others who are CC3 experts may be able to help you achieve that look, but I suspect that it's going to be difficult to do. AFAIK (could well be wrong) CC is great at rendering flat colour but trying to get the effect of painted colours mixing in with each other is v. difficult with CC3.

cheers

Ravs

torstan
01-18-2010, 07:09 AM
I prefer the less saturated version (though the green does need bumped up a bit - probably due to the change that Revells noted).

What software are you using for this map?

Davros01
01-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Sorry, my typo: It should read: 234,231,81.

I think the tough part for you in using CC3 to try to duplicate the look is that the greens and yellows of the land are mixed up with each other down to the pixel level. Others who are CC3 experts may be able to help you achieve that look, but I suspect that it's going to be difficult to do. AFAIK (could well be wrong) CC is great at rendering flat colour but trying to get the effect of painted colours mixing in with each other is v. difficult with CC3.

cheers

Ravs

no worries, i think you're right. i think its best for brighter colors. plus my poor color vision make for groteque color schemes. But keep helping me out, it only makes my maps better

Cheers,
Marc

Davros01
01-18-2010, 09:42 AM
here is the muted picture. with "CC3" muted colors. Let me know what you think,

Marc

Davros01
01-22-2010, 09:43 AM
My latest draft. Not done yet, but have made major changes based on comments and additions based on self observation. I kinda like it. its not perfect, and not meant to
be exact, cause I am not an ARTIST but just a guy who likes maps. let me know.

Marc

Jaxilon
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Looking good.

I'm not sure but to my eye the colors look a bit smooth. The examples of the originals look to me like they are a little rougher(?) or grainy behind the color. (Maybe someone with the digital lingo can interpret me if they see what I'm saying). Perhaps some noise is needed?

Or course, like you said, you are not trying to get the exact style but the spirit of it. In that case i think you are right on.