PDA

View Full Version : The Sand Dragon Inn for Kobold Quarterly #10

torstan
01-17-2010, 11:19 AM
So, with a suitable delay, here's the Sand Dragon Inn from Kobold Quarterly #10. It's an Arabian Inn with an open central courtyard. However, few visitors know the dark secret lurking in the tunnels below.

This was a fun map to create. I wanted to get some patterns and mosaics into the image - so I created them from references and made sure I could make a proper tiling mosaic. The courtyard took a while, but I'm very pleased with it!

Anyway, if you like it then I'd recommend picking up the pdf of KQ10 (http://www.koboldquarterly.com/KQStore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=48) where you get a higher resolution version as well as the text that goes along with the location. (full disclosure - I'm not on royalties or anything, I just think it's a good article).

All done in Gimp with a tablet.

Oh, and here's the repeating star tile pattern:

As this is a commissioned piece it is not CC licensed, but rights reserved.

ravells
01-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Really lovely, I like the Arabic style font you've used! And thanks for posting the pattern too!

Ascension
01-17-2010, 12:27 PM
That's some really nice work, bro. Can't rep right now so I owe ya.

GygaxLives
01-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Very cool. I'll have to check out that issue of Kobold quarterly!

torstan
01-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks! It was fun to do something a little different.

Steel General
01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
More neat stuff here Torstan!

torstan
01-24-2010, 04:52 PM
And in excellent news - KQ are giving away #10 free - but only until the end of January. See this post on the KQ site for details:

http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/article3833.php

Now obviously this is the star (ahem) but I hear there might be some other stuff in there too :)

Jaxilon
01-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Sweet, thanks for the link

Edit: Seems to have a problem reading the source file. I can't get a good download. Not sure what the issue is. Maybe I'll try again later. :/

Ascension
01-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I had the same problem.

Jaxilon
01-25-2010, 12:45 AM
I got it to work. I'm not sure if it was a problem on their end or if it was my using Firefox to download it. I switched rendering engines to use an IE download and it worked fine. It has been a few hours so it could have been a broken file earlier.

Anyway, if you are using Firefox and it won't download try the "IE Tab" addon for Firefox and redo it.

torstan
01-25-2010, 05:55 AM
They were having some server problems yesterday - and expect it to be a little choppy today - but should be easing up tonight and tomorrow so it might be worth checking out then. Also, if you want the hi-res version without labels feel free to send me a pm once you've downloaded it. Because I want to remain true to their spirit of downloading the magazine and checking it out, I'll happily give the hi-res version to anyone who sends me the name of the author of the article on the caravanserai (it's on p80).

Ascension
01-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Got mine downloaded but it'll have to wait for a read since I'm busy. Seemed to work fine late at night.

Vorhees
01-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Fantastic map , well done and have some Rep mate

a2area
01-26-2010, 01:37 AM
cool, CoOL COOOL.. I love old stories about the seljuks, persia and caravanseray(s).. parthian stations and all that, so this is xtra cool to me.. beside's the fact that it's done so well. Original idea too.. i guess i'll just have to give up some rep to you (0: And well deserved!

ravells
01-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Downloaded my issue of KQ - and looking forward to a goodly read!!

torstan
01-26-2010, 05:31 AM
Glad to hear you've been managing to get hold of it. I can't take credit for the idea - this was a job done to a text so it's the author's creation. My job was just to make it pretty. Thanks for the kind words and the rep! Hope you enjoy the magazine.