PDA

View Full Version : Call me a stick in the mud, but...

someguy
01-19-2010, 01:37 AM
I don't like the new forum.

the-golem
01-19-2010, 01:57 AM
Just give them some time, I'm sure within the next few days they'll finish converting closer to the old style.

Ryan K
01-19-2010, 03:45 AM
I like it!

Robbie
01-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Yeah, its not fully done yet. Will be working it some more today. You should start to see some more familiar elements reappearing.

Gandwarf
01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I need to adjust to it as well. It's a new layout after all. As stated by Arcana, not everything is done yet, so I am certainly going to give it some time. Just remember all the people and maps are still the same :D

jfrazierjr
01-19-2010, 11:53 AM
I need to adjust to it as well. It's a new layout after all. As stated by Arcana, not everything is done yet, so I am certainly going to give it some time. Just remember all the people and maps are still the same :D

I am not the same. I have been profoundly changed by this software upgrade and my sanity just might never return. Oh wait... I was insane to begin with...hmmmm Move along people... nothing to see here...

Imahilus
01-19-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't like it either...
It is just trying to be too slick and fancy and such... and apparently it doesn't have a normal 'reply' page anymore, just the annoying quick reply thing =\

RobA
01-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't like it either...
It is just trying to be too slick and fancy and such... and apparently it doesn't have a normal 'reply' page anymore, just the annoying quick reply thing =\

Just click the Go Advanced button in the lower right hand side, to get the full screen reply!

-Rob A>

Ghostman
01-19-2010, 06:20 PM
What I miss from the old forums is the "Threads below have not been updated since your last visit but may still contain new posts" breaker when searching for new posts. It made it so easy to quickly check if there were new interesting threads, or updates to the threads I'd been following. It seems that I'll now have to try and remember when was the last time I browsed the forum :?

Coyotemax
01-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Just click the Go Advanced button in the lower right hand side, to get the full screen reply!

-Rob A>

There's also a "reply" and "reply with quote" link at the bottom of each post. Here's an interesting quirk - if you click the link once, it takes you to the quickreply box at the bottom of the page (with or without quote, as appropriate). A second click on the same link opens the advanced editing page.

Nifty.

[edit]
Ok, new behavior discovered - if you use the reply/quote after the individual post, it places the quick reply box directly under that post, inserting it between posts if it's not the last one on the page.

And..

What I miss from the old forums is the "Threads below have not been updated since your last visit but may still contain new posts" breaker when searching for new posts.

I do agree, I do hope that will be a feature that gets reintroduced.

Zolgar
01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
You are a stick in the mud.

... I am entirely neural on the new forum by the way, wasn't here long enough with the old one to get attached to it.

Notsonoble
01-19-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not like all the extra space things take up compared to before... we'll see as the customizations finish.

Robbie
01-19-2010, 07:54 PM
A lot of the feature changes you guys are talking abotu could just be new or moved settings that I haven't found either. I've been so wound up on converting the style that I haven't gone through all the new potential settings yet. I guess I need to make that a higher priority.

I gotta tell you all though...keep up the feedback, both good and bad. I definitely want to hear your opinions either way. Thank you all!

Coyotemax
01-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Don't take my comments the wrong way - I've been involved in a few site conversions, including from one type of software to a completely different platform - I definitely understand what you're going through!

I'm absolutely willing to be patient as the process goes on.

Redrobes
01-19-2010, 07:57 PM
I think we need to give it some time and get it all the way Arcana wants it and then consider it in more depth. I think it would be useful to review it and maybe have a poll on better / about same / worse as options. At mo I agree a small number of items are better and plenty are not so good but I think most of the not so good stuff is mere style and not substance at this point. I.e. it can be changed.

Juggernaut1981
01-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Could it be worth creating a "once-off" forum for "Forum Changes" to contain the Feedback, Vote on The Look, and other similar threads?
It would basically just exist for a while, then get locked/deleted.

When it comes to tinkering with new settings, Arcana could do screenshots or similar, stick it in a thread and get a vote on which way to go.

someguy
01-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Could it be worth creating a "once-off" forum for "Forum Changes" to contain the Feedback, Vote on The Look, and other similar threads?
It would basically just exist for a while, then get locked/deleted.

When it comes to tinkering with new settings, Arcana could do screenshots or similar, stick it in a thread and get a vote on which way to go.

Hmm. That may be an idea.

Imahilus
01-20-2010, 09:06 AM
The double clicking doesn't work for me (firefox 3.5.7 on ubuntu 9.10); requires 6~10 clicks... so quite buggy for me.

Coyotemax
01-20-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm using firefox 3.5.7 on windows xp, no issues i've noticed so far.