PDA

View Full Version : What can you do to help?

Robbie
01-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Hey all! I just got this brilliant idea. In the past the CL's had all submitted some changed images that may have been lower on the priority list of to be changed graphics. RobA was astounding at that. He'd send me graphics that just somehow looked better than the ones I had already made or had just been overlooked.

I'm going to give that opportunity to all of you guys...If you feel like replacing some of the graphics that are here and not looking right...just create a thread in this forum and submit the images as attachments, and if they look really good, I'll use them. It may be best to announce what graphics you're doing first just so I can say yay or nay as to whether or not they're in progress already.

Make sure that any images you want to replace maintain the same dimensions as those they are replaceing, and the same file extension as well.

Any questions, ask here.

Ascension
01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Might be a cool challenge idea.

RobA
01-20-2010, 06:23 PM
OK Here is one. I created a little search icon that look like a telescope that could replace the magnifying glass (in the upper right hand corner)

Does that look like a telescope?

-Rob A>

RobA
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Here are a couple more. The default post icon coloured to go on our background:

A replacement for the blue right arrow in the same pallete as the check:

-Rob A>

Rythal
01-21-2010, 10:30 PM
I would really like to see something other than the blue envelopes to see the status of the thread. not sure what would fit well though... maybe a gem or somethin?

Robbie
01-21-2010, 10:41 PM
We're workin on somethin to replace the envelopes...thats a somewhat larger task.

RobA
01-21-2010, 10:43 PM
And a quick go at the down pointing blue arrow:

(c'mon guys, jump in! pixel art is fun!)

-Rob A>

Ascension
01-22-2010, 12:31 AM
I can't make buttons and stuff to save my life, never could and I've tried every damn tut on the net. I can do pixel art but you're doing a bang up job so just keep goin :)

ravells
01-22-2010, 05:23 AM
OK Here is one. I created a little search icon that look like a telescope that could replace the magnifying glass (in the upper right hand corner)

-Rob A>

I think the magnifying glass gives clearer information. It's such a small icon it's hard to to do anything more complex and retain clarity though.

altasilvapuer
01-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Oh, this could be quite fun. I used to do minor skinning work for invisionfree boards, and rather miss doing it. I may take a stab at some this weekend, if I can find the time, just for a fun challenge.

Love the site work, so far, Arcana! Keep up the brilliant work!

-asp

Jaxilon
01-22-2010, 03:03 PM

-Rob A>

I would like to see it with it's orientation headed towards the stars or UP. Before I knew it was a telescope my eye was lost for a moment. I'm thinking if it was pointed upwards it might translate a tad better.

RobA
01-23-2010, 04:00 PM
I would like to see it with it's orientation headed towards the stars or UP. Before I knew it was a telescope my eye was lost for a moment. I'm thinking if it was pointed upwards it might translate a tad better.

I think we'll just dump it. The magnifying glass is too ubiquitous, so we'll stick with that.

-Rob A>

Robbie
01-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Ok, I did a bunch of little tiny graphics tonight...the navbits scroll and arrows at the top, the down arrow, the quotes and the quote arrow, and a few more little hidden thingies that we all probably take for granted.

Here's a challenge for someone:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/images/cartographer/misc/tab-collapsed.png
http://www.cartographersguild.com/images/cartographer/misc/tab-expanded.png

Make those match the site, and post it here ;)

You can see that graphic in use on the forum homepage next to the new sidebar.

Jaxilon
01-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Ok, I guess I needed a break from the monthly challenge so here are a couple icons I whipped up. Basically I figured a weathervane idea would work and I tried to use the colors we have in our compass.

If you like them go for it, if you think I need to change something let me know. I'm not sure but maybe I should have given more room on the tail feather. *shrug* didn't take too long to make em anyway.

I also have very little experience with icons so not sure on the file type etc, you need.

Edit: added another version with a slightly longer tail and main.

Robbie
01-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Hmm...I like the weathervane, but I'm not sure I like the border. The tabs that are there now look very softly bevelled, I was kinda thinking it should still be like that...and maybe have the weathervane on that? I dunno what other people think though. Maybe some more opinions will fly in here. In the meantime I'm dumping my admin rep stick on ya...which unfortunately isn't as much as some of our esteemed CLs. lol

Jaxilon
01-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Not sure how to softly bevel a transparency but this is my best shot. Maybe this shouldn't be transparent. Not sure if that might cause problems. If so I can modify it again.

How's this?

One other thing, I followed the direction of the arrows and kept the same names but they seem backwards to me. Probably it doesn't really matter.

Robbie
01-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah, they shouldn't be transparent...that explains a lot lol...and I think the names refer to their use in the soon to be added CMS so don't mind the naming...just the orientation.

altasilvapuer
01-24-2010, 04:01 PM
I'll take a crack at them. I'll post back when I have something.

-asp

WIP Renditions:
Concept 1 (Simple Recolor, light):
Concept 2 (Simple Recolor, medium-dark):

-asp

Jaxilon
01-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Ok, I made them like the other buttons near them with a brown background and shadow. I also thickened them a bit. If I can change anything else on them let me know as I for one want it to be perfect if we are going to stare at it every time we log on.

Also, if we get something we like better that's fine as well.

Coyotemax
01-24-2010, 05:10 PM

That's got my vote so far, unless you maybe took the dark set and lightened the arrows.

Erm! =Ok so the quotes don't include images yet, I see :)

Anyhow, it's set number 1 - the lighter ones that caught my eye.

altasilvapuer
01-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Ah, good idea, Coyotemax. I was unsatisfied with both sets, really, but not sure what to do to fix them, yet. The first set was done mostly using just adjustment layers on the original, while the second is more of a re-building by hand. I'll play around and see what else I get with them.

And I really like yours, Jax. The weather vane is a really cool idea, and I like that you incorporated parts of the Guild Rose.

-asp

Jaxilon
01-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks!

I think your's stand out more as far as drawing the eye - Something I was concerned with regarding the weathervane. I almost ditched it after finished it, but then figured it didn't need to stand out much because you probably won't click it a lot.

I'm just happy to be trying to contribute since I have the time. If something gets used fantastic, if not, that's ok too.