PDA

View Full Version : Aged National Map of Maloumba

a2area
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I decided that this map deserves a thread of its own.

This was inspired by the recent Schwari map style at this thread which some of you probably already saw here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8853-SCHWARI-Maloumba.

After seeing the Schwari scroll next to the blue national map (below left) it was obvious to me it needed some attention. I tried to give it an old style but unlike the hand-drawn scroll this map would have been printed and then colored by hand. Don't pay much heed to the blue map it's there for before & after comparison using the same data and putting it through "the treatment" in photoshop.

GygaxLives
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
I love the vintage look. You pulled off the aged parchment look to perfection. Love the wax seal, it was a very nice touch!

I decided that this map deserves a thread of its own.

This was inspired by the recent Schwari map style at this thread which some of you probably already saw here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8853-SCHWARI-Maloumba.

After seeing the Schwari scroll next to the blue national map (below left) it was obvious to me it needed some attention. I tried to give it an old style but unlike the hand-drawn scroll this map would have been printed and then colored by hand. Don't pay much heed to the blue map it's there for before & after comparison using the same data and putting it through "the treatment" in photoshop.

Ascension
01-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Dude that's smokin hot. Looks so authentic that you'd never know it wasn't made 140 years ago.

Steel General
01-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Beautiful job on giving it the aged/antique look.

Coyotemax
01-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Very nicely done! I like the watermark/emboss on the right too.

rdanhenry
01-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Very nice. Visually impressive and suggestive of on-going history. Probably an exciting place at the time this map was made.

Davros01
01-28-2010, 05:08 PM
That is a very nice aged look!! I would have bought that on Ebay as the real thing. Have some rep.

ocagnato
08-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Hi! all is so perfect! the aged one and the new one!
Can you give me a hint or a tutorial to draw the two maps?