PDA

View Full Version : Making Links Stand Out

Robbie
01-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Right now I have the links to be the same color as the rest of the text...I found that when I put the underline on links, there ends up being a LOT of underlining...so I'd like to use a different color for links...I'm open to suggestions...post your color ideas for links here...and for extra points (as if you got points) give us a demo with some text in your post using that color.

RobA
01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
(I found that setting in the admin section... sorry to everyone who had bright orange links for a moment there :D I was warned not to break anything!)

It was underlined before. I could try setting it to blink.............

-Rob A>

Juggernaut1981
01-20-2010, 11:18 PM
I would be suggesting it goes to
LINK
or maybe
LINK

Something that stands out easily but isn't in "eye-strain orange" or "wowzers red"

Robbie
01-20-2010, 11:24 PM
I kinda like that yellow...I also like light blue.

Midgardsormr
01-21-2010, 12:46 AM
I think the yellow, being close in hue to both the cream text and the brown background, will disturb the eye less than the blue, which, being complementary to the color scheme, will tend to jump out and attract the eye too much.

Both are already present in the site's colors, though, so both are appropriate.

Ascension
01-21-2010, 12:48 AM
Why not just use the gold as you have in your name there? Keeps the color scheme.

Gamerprinter
01-21-2010, 04:15 AM
I can't read the reply message as I type it. So when making a long post, I have to select all the typed text to see it in reverse and be able to see what I typed, I hope that's fixed soon. I find it quite annoying. I have a dark monitor at work, which I use to go online with, which is part of the problem, but there was no problem before.

GP

the-golem
01-21-2010, 08:03 AM
I like the light blue. It's true that it's complimentary, its like the sky blue to this forums earth brown. In any case, because its a light, soft color, it really doesn't "hurt" the eyes and as such, isn't really an "eye-sore". I don't like the yellow, I feel its more jarring than the blue.

Failing the blue, I like the rich gold tone of Arcana's name.

All IMHO, of course.

Gidde
01-21-2010, 08:56 AM
I'd also vote for the blue.

Robbie
01-21-2010, 09:31 AM
We're going to experiment with both...currently its set to Admin Gold...my biggest complaint is that the users listing on the who's online list becomes gold...so its hard to distinguish. If I use CL blue for links, we'll have the same problem distinguishing CLs in the who's online list.

Perhaps we need a whole new color? Maybe a darker cream color for the default font and the current cream color for the link font?

Tear
01-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Something like F4CC90 might work. It's pretty subtle but It's different enough from the normal text and the admin-gold, while keeping the overall color scheme.

Robbie
01-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I think I like that color Tear. Good job! Have some REP! Of course, I'm not closing this issue yet.

Ascension
01-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm looking at the available colors on the text here just to see what's quick and easy...and of course to see what looks good and not too crappy.

I gotta say links in light pink isn't too bad and the light purple isn't too bad either. I use the light pink and gray in my sig and also the light blue for My Maps (when that gets fixed). Since there are so many dudes here we'd probably have to go light blue. The color Tear suggested is just a bit too close to Arcana gold, IMO. The oranges are okay as well.

Steel General
01-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Blue is a standard for link colors in all browsers - personally I'd prefer sticking with what folks are used to seeing (though the lighter blue does work better with this color scheme)

RobA
01-21-2010, 01:17 PM
...my biggest complaint is that the users listing on the who's online list becomes gold...

That explains it! I thought everyone was made Admin again (Happy April Fools day!)

-Rob A>

Robbie
01-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Umm...I'm not using the gold anymore...April fools to you lol...I'm currently using Tears suggested color.

ravells
01-22-2010, 01:19 PM
For the links, do we need to take into account that some folks are colourblind or have duff monitors and something too subtle might not be noticed ?

Jaxilon
01-22-2010, 01:27 PM
I should use a color, I usually just put an underline on my links. The light blue jumps out the most imo but about half of the others would work as well.

altasilvapuer
01-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Personally, my favourite so far has been the F4CC90 posted by Tear. Though as I look at the names to the left, I find it difficult to distinguish between the colour of Tear's name and yours. Unless I'm mistaken, Tear's name is in F4CC90, as well, only bolded instead of regular as it was in his post?

Perhaps you could continue to use the F4CC90, and then just up the level of yellow in the Admin name? I see several quite lovely shades in your avatar that could work; maybe try sampling some colours from those gears?

-asp