PDA

View Full Version : Demir, Mountain Mining Town

Talmariel
01-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Another map for my D&D campaign.

Demir is a medieval-fantasy mining town set along a tributary up in the mountains. The residents are mostly just miners. They have food storage, a cistern, eating halls by the mine and in town, and a lot of defenses. They get attacked frequently by worg-riding goblins. Without a lot of resources or capital, their defenses are mostly wooden pallisades and sharpened logs.

I haven't settled on what to give them for a river crossing. Maybe one of those rafts anchored by a rope-and-pulley system?

wormspeaker
01-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Looks pretty good. The layout looks like it works well, but the terrain pattern is a little distracting.

jfrazierjr
01-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Looks pretty good. The layout looks like it works well, but the terrain pattern is a little distracting.

Agreed. The texture on the mountains is very unnatural looking.

landorl
01-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Out of curiosity, you have some short length walls with some rays going out on one side. What are they supposed to represent?

Talmariel
01-22-2010, 03:44 PM
They're sharpened sticks, to block charging mounts. Like from Conan the Barbarian:

http://reason.com/assets/mc/malissi/2009_11/artifact2.jpg

Archers and other defenders can take cover behind the short walls without fear of charge attacks.

Steel General
01-23-2010, 11:26 AM
This is looking good so far, I do agree with the others about the pattern/texture on the mountains.

Looks good zoomed out, but loses a lot when zoomed-in to full res.

Talmariel
01-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Here's the map without the texture.

industrygothica
01-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Hmm.. try playing with the lighting effects, or the highlight/shadow sliders on the bevel style; it's looking a bit plastic.

As for the layout of the town itself, I love it.

landorl
01-23-2010, 11:11 PM
They're sharpened sticks, to block charging mounts. Like from Conan the Barbarian:

Ahh, that makes sense. I think that the mountains are coming along pretty well, and the overall map looks pretty good. It looks like you have a pretty hard chisel on the mountains. I think that they might look a bit better if you softened them up a little.