PDA

View Full Version : My first CC3 Map, very Much WIP - Bloodcloth Island

Elothan
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Since Joining the Guild, I have felt that I had to show off a map in progress for criticism (or else I would do the same mistake over and over)
So here is my take on a small bit of land from my DND world, under the working title of Bloodcloth Island. :D
Enjoy (as much as you can)

NeonKnight
01-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Good Job so far. ekep it up!

Ascension
01-22-2010, 05:58 PM
I can dig it. You resisted the urge to put in every type of icon available and restraint is a good thing. Looks well laid out and natural (well Dragon Jaw has a reason for being the way it is so that's cool). Nice job.

Elothan
01-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks to both of you :)

Sharpe
02-01-2010, 01:18 AM
Love it.

Looks like it was fun to do as well. Did you watch or read any tutorials? If so, do you have some links?

Elothan
02-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Yes, I used Joseph Sweeneys tutorials at the profantasy site http://profantasy.com/community/cc3_tutorials.asp

Then I just went with the flow :)

FarsightX3
02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Not bad at all for your first CC3! I liked how you separated your different environments. Way better than what I did when I first started!

Midgardsormr
02-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Very nice! It needs a couple of things still: A compass rose would be nice, and a scale bar is almost mandatory. A legend would also be helpful. I'm not sure if the symbols northwest of the desert are grassland or swamp.

I don't think I'd use that huge drop shadow on the map title. Instead, see if you can find a scroll or shield or something to place it on. This is known as a cartouche. Also, I'd reverse the label on The Cloudreach. That way, it won't be upside down, and it will read a bit more left to right.

Topographically speaking, it seems odd that there would be a desert bordered by swamp (if that is swamp) and jungle. It can happen, but there doesn't seem to be anything causing it.

Your symbol placement is very nice; that's something that I've struggled with.

Coyotemax
02-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I like the waterfall you have coming down off that ridge - I'd almost missed it, saw just as I was about to close the window :)

As a bit of helpful criticism - I would recommend being especially observant when placing trees. i'm unfamiliar with the way CC apps work for placing them, but there are a few where the trunks overlap the trees in front (or at least that's how they appear to me - if those are floating trees, then by all means feel free to correct me, heh). Most of the trees are fine, really, it's the northern forest where that gets noticed.

Excellent so far, and yes, I'm enjoying it as much as I can :)

Elothan
02-02-2010, 06:44 AM
@Midgardsormr Yeah, l of those are something that will be revamped in the next version i upload.. I just could not figure out how to add a scale bar that..err.. scaled correctly :x, but its gona be fixed

@Coyotemax Thanks for the tip :D

Elothan
02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Here is a updated map, after a little tinkering based on the feedback :) Still learning the ropes of this here CC ;)

Please ignore the minty greeen under the northeren forrest... I fixed that afterwards, but since my comp is a bit unfriendly when it comes to rendering images today, i am just gonna keep this up for now.

NeonKnight
02-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Good work. With CC3's use of SYMBOLS, I always try and keep the symbols 'contained'. And by that I mean stop them from 'spilling out' from their containing area. Example in you map, the Desert dune symbols spilling across the coastline into the ocean in the lower right of you map. I always find this distracting, and can make an otherwise exception looking map appear sloppy.

Elothan
02-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Noted, First time around I was going for a sort of transitional effect..Before I started to use countours much.. Guess they must have slipped my view (Working on a 13" Monitor, so I tend to miss things from time to time :)

Will be fixed in the next version :)

Elothan
02-05-2010, 09:36 PM
And yet another small update, some small fixes and a bit off naming.
I think naming must be my number one problem at the moment, I just cant seem to think of suitable names)
Enjoy :)

Ascension
02-05-2010, 10:05 PM
That's always a problem for most of us. There are plenty of name generators out there, even many listed around here. I don't use the names straight from the generator but instead use the name as a base and then make it sound more like what I want it to.

Elothan
02-09-2010, 03:41 PM
And here is a bit more updated map, with a bit more names, some minor fixes and such..
Getting a bit tired of seeing the same piece of land, so hopefully I will be done with this soon.

Making this realle learnt me a lot of the inns and outs off CC3, so much that I also bought DD3 and CD3, so perhaps IŽll try my hands at another category of mapping soon :)