PDA

View Full Version : New Member, first post

BruteSquad01
01-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Hello all! I was informed that this is the place to be to work on quality map-making skills, so here I am. To start, here is a map I made for a D&D campaign a couple years ago. I think it's pretty good, and it served well enough for my purposes, but I'd like to know what you all think, and what can be done to improve it. My usual process has been to hand-draw the landmasses and then scan them in. Then I use PAINT.NET to color it, add text, get rid of smudges, etc.

NeonKnight
01-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Welcome to the Guild! Nice First Map!

Jaxilon
01-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Welcome aboard. I would take a look at some of the maps around here and get some ideas as to what you want your map to look like. Then check that map maker to see if they have created a tutorial. Often times the technique or look you want will be described in the tutorials section.

You have a good start there and I think it would be nice to add a little something to help depict the ocean from the land.

Vorhees
01-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Welcome aboard, i like the coast line and your choice of font gives a nice old feel.

Steel General
01-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Ascension
01-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Howdy and welcome. Looks fine functionally, good job. Oh and great handle.

BruteSquad01
01-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks, everyone! I looked at some things here, and started messing with my map a bit more. I took some hills and mountains that someone uploaded here, and added some effects to the coastline. I also colored the landmass to have a bit more contrast from the water. So you tell me: is this better? Worse?

Diamond
02-01-2010, 03:20 AM
Welcome aboard, and nice job so far. I really dig the coastlines of that map, and the layout of the mountains. Only thing I'd say at this point is that the landmass looks a bit... pink. Maybe make it more of a tannish color?

Coyotemax
02-01-2010, 04:12 AM
I love the effect you're getting with the mountains and coast. It may be a bit pinkish, but to be honest, a lot of antique map scans I've seen have that same pinkish hue, so I can live with it myself :)

synjon
09-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I've been peeking around the WIP posts, and had to chuckle when I saw your username, because my son is watching [I]Princess Bride[I] in the other room...

Nice map, btw....

bartmoss
09-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Welcome to the guild, and I like where this map is going. Can't comment on colors (colorblind) but I do agree the mountain effect is nice. The coasts are cool too, though.