PDA

View Full Version : Question about paths in GIMP

Rongar
01-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, I've searched for nearly 2 hours now, but didn't find an answer. So, sorry to bother you with such a rather silly question, but I really need to know: Is there a way to connect two anchors of two different paths?

Example:

Can I connect anchor 3 and 6? It's technically one and the same path, as they are both on the same "layer" in the path menu, but I don't seem to get them connected in any way. Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!

~~Rongar

RobA
01-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Not that I know of. I gave up on gimp's path handling for all but the simplest things (and selection->path->stroke path which gives better results than stroke selection). I use inkscape for vector work, including labeling. You can either export pngs from inkscape and import them into gimp, or import the SVG from inkscape into gimp. I prefer the inkscape renderrer so usually go the first way, unless I have a specific need for the paths.

-Rob A>

Jaxilon
01-25-2010, 10:06 PM
What I have done when I was faced with this situation was to just click on 6 and then create a new node. Pick that up and lay it right on top of 3. I do not know of a way to create a branch like what you are looking for but if you plan to stroke the path it should look fine doing what I said. Furthermore, if RobA doesn't know how to do it, then it probably isn't there. He's sort of the Gimp expert.

I am usually just happy when my paths work at all.

Rongar
01-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Hum, what a bummer! The reason I thought (and hoped) it'd be possible was *this* (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?7639-GIMP-Stroke-Path-with-Taper-plugin) thread. The branches in the example looked like they were connecting just perfectly. Trying something like that using different paths which I made "connect" by hand gave me a rather shabby result. :D

Oh well, I'll get over it. Thanks for your reply. :)

[Edit] Thanks to you as well, Jaxilon. The method you suggested is doing pretty good for most cases, but when it comes to creating rivers using the "tapered stroke along path"-plugin, the result is then more like this:

In a perfect world, the anchors would just friggin' connect. :D Too bad. Looks like I can't skive off the dirty work. :D

[Edit-Edit]

Huh, nevermind. It's looking fine, when I reduce the value for "Exponent" in the plugin-GUI. Thanks anyway and sorry for bothering.

~~Rongar

RobA
01-26-2010, 07:29 AM
I guess I didn't read your post fully, Rongar. Paths can not fork.

-Rob A.

Rongar
01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
I guess I didn't read your post fully, Rongar. Paths can not fork.

-Rob A.

Which is a bloody shame, if you ask me. It's not like it wouldn't come in handy at times.

Jaxilon
01-27-2010, 03:30 AM
Paths can not fork.

Someone needs to alert the developers because clearly they don't know much about paths :)

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

...Robert Frost "The Road Less Travelled"

Well, ok, to be fair it was a road but technically that's still a path :)

One of my favorite poems by the way.