PDA

View Full Version : Galbrin - City of my Novel

Larb
01-30-2010, 08:27 PM
I've been working on a new city map for my novel I've started writing. After getting a few chapters in, I've decided to make a map of the city (the entire novel takes place within the city).

The map is 25% of the actual size, and the stroke on the walls and the towers is a bit strong but I think that is because I resized it before I flattened it (whoops!). But still, you can get an idea of what it'll look like.

The map will be in a similar style to my Tressimere one, with a few more details. For those curious, the way I do buildings is I draw basic shapes on their own layer with the line tool (20-30px for regular buildings). Then I add a style layer of 2px stroke and 3px drop shadow. Then I draw the peaks of the roof on with a 2px line tool. Then I darken the sides of the roof that should be shadowed. And then I use a 1px brush, with tablet pen pressure opacity to make the roof tiles.

It takes forever, but I like the result.

Someone said I should do a tutorial and I plan to do so after I finish this map.

ravells
01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
I like the courtyards...so many people make large buildings and then forget how they are lit. Nice work, what software are you using?

Larb
01-30-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm using Photoshop CS3.

The building thing is something I'm always aware of 'cause I've an interest in architecture (mostly historical) and some friends of mine are in the contruction industry. So you get in the mindset of things like rooms needing windows and such. Especially in a fantasy/medieval setting.
Also lots of real maps I've seen have shown buildings centered around a courtyard. Maybe a little tighter but I've a little artistic license. And this is also a dense city like medieval Florence rather than a young spread-out town with no walls or just a bank and ditch.

jaspertjie
01-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey wow that really looks great

ravells
02-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Your map has a very vectory feel to it..I would have guessed illustrator!

Diamond
02-02-2010, 03:37 AM
That looks great so far. I'll be looking forward to the tutorial... :D

AutumnRain
02-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Wow! That's great! Looks like a real city map :)

Blaidd Drwg
02-05-2010, 02:36 AM
Very nice indeed! I particularly like the lay-out itself; it's very realistic. You can really see that interest in architecture.
Looking forward to updates.

Repped ;)

Larb
02-05-2010, 04:45 AM
Thanks everyone. I've done a little more work on it. Well, a lot more, but it just doesn't seem like much because it mostly involves shading and sketching the texture of the roofs of the regular buildings which takes a long, wrist-hurtingly ammount of time. =P

I've still got lots and lots of work to do on it but it now mostly involves the details and some texturing so I'm on to the most fun bit now (making it pretty!). Then I'll need to add a border and title, etc etc.

*edit* A slight update. There's still quite a bit to do but it's starting to look sorta finished. Then it's on to labels and things!

ravells
02-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Looking quite beautiful! The roof shading is georgeous. Please, please put in street name labels (good ones) it would really make this map.

It's funny, this looks like a CC City Designer map almost, but better.

Ascension
02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
You got yourself a nice looking city there, Larb. Makes me want to try something like this.

Larb
02-06-2010, 08:09 PM
The roof shading is probably the most time-consuming part as I have to do it all by hand with the tablet pen, but I really like the result and I'm glad other people do too. And I do intend to put in street names! Also numbers for a key, though the key will be in a seperate document.

Anyway, I altered the palette slightly to give the ground a more natural tone. The ground between to the two brooks at the north is supposed to be a rising hill (the aqueduct comes out of the hillside) but I'm not sure how to represent that, so it looks as flat as everything else even though it's not. So that's something I could add. Also the water break thing I'm not sure is in the right place really. But I was thinking it was caused by a previous structure or bridge built long ago.

Anyway, besides that and a few tweaks, this is the map part mostly done. Now it's on to a nice title and border and things!

Oh, I forgot to add, the CC city designer style was of some inspiration for this style, along with some d&d maps like the 3e greyhawk map and stuff.

Redrobes
02-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Looking mighty fine !

Clercon
02-07-2010, 05:56 PM
This looks great, a really nice map.

ravells
02-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Really beautiful! Take a bow!