PDA

View Full Version : Untitled Campaign Map

Coyotemax
02-01-2010, 04:24 AM
Started working on a new map request (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9073-Seeking-Cartographer!)!

My favourite thing about this one is that I've been meaning to head this particular direction with my style for a bit now (inspired by Ramah!).

With the supplied sketch, I was able to easily work up the coastlines and terrain layout. I'll likely adjust a few things slightly as I go (especially the exact flow of the rivers etc) but this seems workable so far. the colours will likely get adjusted towards the end a bit as well, but for the moment, these are quite workable. I'm planning on doing the mountains completely by hand instead of brushes, I'm getting tired of seeing the same slopes and angles all the time from my set :)

I'm doing this to be rather large sized again, so I'll be posting the WIP's at half size, with occasional detail crops at full size. I'm also planning on doing a Zoomify version when all is done as well, to allow for zooming and scrolling.

*rubs hands together and grins maniacally*

Here goes nothing!

[edit- map is done, completion post here! (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9618-Campaign-Map&p=104920#post104920)

Coyotemax
02-01-2010, 08:21 AM
So far so good, mountains are going to be a pain, but so worth it.

Steel General
02-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Very Ramah-esque...

fiskonius
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Those are some beautiful mountains! Lookin good, man!

Coyotemax
02-02-2010, 09:39 PM
And now I remember why I started turning mountains into brushes from my previous maps and just recycling them.. I seemed to have blocked the agony out of my mind after moving onwards :)

Still, that's overshadowed by the concept of "if you want them to look just so, the only way is to hand draw them".

Here's the layout so far, I've added in marker colours for the hill ranges as well. I realized that I'd made the working legend right on the shrunk version and not saved it, so you'll have to do without this time. Still, nothing else has been changed except the addition of brown to represent hills.

The last 2 days have been a bit slow going, my muse seems to have taken a break, but I've been getting in there and making progress anyhow. Sometimes you gotta say "i don't care whether i feel like working or not" and just do work :P

I was playing around with the layers a bit to test things, and though the mountains are a bit harsh black right now, it looks like they'll do what I want them to when all is in place.

Took a screenshot for this upload, 25% of fullsize (the unshaded mountains actually look kind of neat at this scale)

torstan
02-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Interesting. I always work the other way around. Fully detailed line drawing and then go for the colour. I like your way. Looking good, and I feel your pain on the mountains. But it is the only way to get it looking just so :) 10 out of 10 for commitment!

Juggernaut1981
02-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Torstan> I think the colouring might just be a "very detailed guide" system. I used a massive brush and kind of "scribbled" where I wanted things to end up... I get the feeling Coyote just does it with a bit more care and a smaller brush.

torstan
02-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I totally agree - it's just that my scribbling is done with hard round brush on one layer that I then reduce the opacit of and work ove the top of on a new layer. I don't add colour until later. I like the approach of throwing a bit of colour in early on.

Coyotemax
02-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Juggernaut is correct, I like to have the areas laid out with colours so I can see how they're going to overlap, what I want to put where, and get an idea when zoomed way out as to whether it looks reasonably viable in a geologic sense.

As for the actual colours and such, I have done some where I do all the detail work first then do colours at the end. But having worked in both ways, I've decided I like getting at least the basic colours in first so I have a better visual in my minds eye on how things will look when they're done, plus in cases like this it can give the client an idea of how the final product will come together with the colours.. the Dark Lands map is an even more extreme example of that, I also wanted to make sure as I was drawing that the blood smudging effect I was using wouldn't interfere with other layers, and so on. The other thing this allows is that if I get worn out from working on one aspect, I can always put time into textures and still progress on the work instead of taking an outright break. yay for efficiency :P

Incidentally, I used a 200px (with the image size what it is, that's a relatively medium size) soft brush for the terrain guides with each colour on a separate layer in their own folder, then set the opacity/blending modes so that I could see what I was doing without it interfering with the rest of the work, and turn on/off each layer if I feel the need :) Might be a bit overkill, but I find it's more flexible than doing all the guidelines on the same layer. You just need to go "D'oh, I wish I would have done that differently" once :)
I guess you could say I'm evolving my workflow :)

[edit] Oh yeah, mountain update.. basic shadows are done, about to start detail work!

moutarde
02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Not overkill at all. Through much trial and error (and massive amounts of redrawing) I've learned that there's no such thing as too many layers :)

Coyotemax
02-03-2010, 10:02 PM
How's this for overkill: the mountains have 5 layers that build up to the effect from the earlier test image.

Basic Outline (upside down V and a squiggly line going down the middle for the light/dark transition area)
Dark Outline, where I darken the edges of the darkside of the mountain
Dark Shading, where I fill in the shadowed portion
Light Detail, where I add in crevasses/etc and give it some texture on the light side
Light Shadows, where I shade the lightside details :)

And somewhere in there (usually the light detail and light shadows) i throw some bits down along the valleys and lower slopes in the space between one mountain and another to fill in smaller spaces. Some of the larger spaces will be dealt with on the Hill layer groups :)

There's a mini tutorial somewhere in the Tutorials forum that introduced me to the style.. I added my own twist by separating each step to it's own layer. I can't find it right now though, but I'll take another peek in a bit. I saved the png attachment and keep it open on the second monitor while I work for ease of reference :)

moutarde
02-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Again, not overkill ;) If anything that you're doing could destroy something you've already done if you run out of undo states, it should be on its own layer. Unless you like redrawing stuff when you decide it could look a little better :lol:

Coyotemax
02-03-2010, 11:01 PM
The downside is when you're not paying full attention, and put something on a layer it's not supposed to be, and don't notice for 20 mins :P

Ascension
02-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I do that all of the time...usually I draw for an hour on my layer where I keep my basic palette color choices and when I go to hide that layer to see the thing in its full glory - all of the stuff I just did disappears and I say "crap".

Coyotemax
02-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Luckily in this case it's just the main shading layer containing details meant for the lightside detail. If i really felt like putting in the work I could separate things out by cutting to a new layer then merging to the layer it's supposed to be on. But it's not that much so I'm gonna leave it for now I think.

Rough detail work is done, about to start on the fine detail :) Once I get that in, I'll post an update. this is really starting to take shape!

Oh yeah, another thing.. now that I have a tablet, I'm really missing the callouses I used to have built up from holding pens and pencils back when I did my celtic work :)

Coyotemax
02-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Almost finishd the mountains.. I'm actually going back through and filling them in with more peaks to make them more consistent with the test range.

I also decided to play around with the textures a bit, I'm still completely unhappy with them even though I like the idea behind them.

Incidentally, I found a new parchment texture making technique.. after using wax paper on the baking sheets last night, I decided to keep the sheet and scan it. Folded in half it made a great scan.

And I found the original driver for my scanner that allows DPI's other than 150 and 300.. So what I've been doing now is scanning 1/4 of the page at a time at 600DPI, that gives me 5 scans per sheet instead of 1 (4 at 1/4 size and 1 at full). Woot!!

Karro
02-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Cool. That's a pretty sweet-sounding technique for generating a parchment texture.

moutarde
02-04-2010, 11:57 PM
That's some awesome looking aging you've got going on there!

Coyotemax
02-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Ok, the textures are starting to come together, after a write-off day (i'd really love to re-do today).

I think the hills are done, at least the exact placements, but It's possible i may redo them, I'll see i i come up with a solid decision on that before posting for opinions.

Anyhow, it's really starting to pull in the effect at this point. I just have to figure out if there are going to be any labels placed before I start setting in forests.. or maybe I'll place them in right now and redo specific ones if needed.

Coyotemax
02-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Ok, good to go for forests, so that issue is taken care of. No labels needed.

I'm still not 100% happy with the ocean layer, but it's finally starting to look like I'd envisioned. The texture itself may be okay but I'll likely work it over a bit more - but the main thing to do at this point is likey the colour treatments and depth shading.

The land, I'm very pleased with. I was originally going to remove the terrain layout colour guides entirely, but seeing how they were working with the new texture convinced me I should leave them in. I tossed a high gaussian blur onto each layer, then muddled a bit more with the blending modes, and in some cases added a second layer overtop for colour variations and shadings.

Still not completely sold on the hills, so i'm putting a detail shot to display them and get feedback. there's still some detail work that needs to be done (a few river issues overlapping on mountains, that sort of thing) but here goes nothing. I'm just happy my muse came back from her long weekend :P

torstan
02-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Looking good. I like the mountains a lot.

The colours are looking very dark on my screen. Might be worth lightening them up a bit. For the sea, I've found that an overall radial gradient focused in the middle can really help - it pulls the eye towards the center of the map. It can be very subtle.

I see what you mean about the hills - they're quite sharp. Are you going to drop the mountains and hills back from pure black? You can experiment with this by creating one layer will all th linework on it (a copy of all your other layers of course), clicking lock transparency and then painting over your lines directly with a colour - dark brown for your hills, and perhaps a darker grey for the mountains? That might ease them into the map a little. Or it might look rubbish, but it's an experiment that won't break anything.

Coyotemax
02-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Definitely going to move them down from solid, yes. I was messing around the other day with transparency, blending modes and layer effects, so far I think they look decent at about 70 to 80% transparency. I quickly got annoyed with the hill placement so i made a whole whack of custom brushes for this map, and used those to place - I think I have enough variety that it's not immediately apparent. That might be why they seem a bit sharper, I did shrink them some. I'll try a blur and see what happens.

Thanks for mentioning about the brightness, it's hard to know what it will look like on other monitors, on mine it's a little on the darker side, but I myself am having no troubles with it. Luckily that's easy to fix :)

I actually had a radial gradient on one of the earlier versions, but I was going to take a cue for my dark lands map and work in a layer with the shading as well. Thanks for reminding me about that though, I don't recall deleting the gradient layer, but it's definitely missing :)

torstan
02-06-2010, 12:29 PM
I suspected the hills might have been a brush. The sharpness comes from the ery defined solid black shadow. Basically the hills have the same depth of shadow - and in many cases the same steepness on the sides - as your mountains. They look a little like small mountains with rounded tops. Perhaps drop the opacity of the hills more than the mountains to soften them up.

In terms of line colour - you can also change the line colour to a saturated light brown and then set he layer to colour burn - that can give some nice effects.

Coyotemax
02-06-2010, 01:21 PM
I went over the combined layers with a dark brown and set to overlay. Along with a 85% opacity, it gave an effect I'm very happy with :) I'll post a screenie in a bit, I just want to get a few more things done in it first.

Coyotemax
02-06-2010, 02:16 PM
I decided I will redo the rivers (or at least work over the current ones) to match the rest of the coastlines etc, they're a bit too smooth at the moment. I redid the entire coastline by hand, and it gave a nice look that I want to carry into the rivers and lakes :)

I also messed around a bit more with half a dozen or so adjustment layers, i'm nearly done fiddling with that.

The mountains please me like this, I'm just trying to keep the same look to them while I lighten everything (which has been a small bit of a challenge), I have a few ideas to try in that regard.

Next, the forests. But first.. naptime and the wife is dragging me out to spend time with the family.

Priorities, woman!! When the muse makes her presence known, I have to go with the flow!! sheesh!! ;)

(overall, the colours weren't quite the way I envisioned the map when i started, but it took on it's own life!)

Ascension
02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
My thought about the hills is that they're too detailed and wiggly - they look more like mountains than they do rolling hills. Just my 2 pennies.

Coyotemax
02-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I'll be redoing the hills for sure. I haven't redone the rivers yet, but I think I'm finally happy with the background. Forests look great, and done in record time! I'll probably slap in a few more trees here and there to break up some edges, or redo the masks for the forest generator (i love that thing!!)

So far so good..

rdanhenry
02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
My issue with the hills is that they're all elongated in the same direction, which makes them look like dunes rather than hills, at least to my eye.

Coyotemax
02-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm in the process of redoing the hills entirely by hand. I took a break yesterday, but expect to get them done this evening. they'll look a bit different.

Coyotemax
02-10-2010, 09:41 AM
I ended up not being able to do as much work as I wanted to on the hills, plus I've been having to take a few sanity breaks :)

I've got all the outlines done, and i'm about 25% done the shading, then I'm going back through to fill in the fine detail work and transitioning.

IRegarding looking like dunes, I'm adding a screen capture of the map that's influenced my style more than any other - Transylvania by Joan Blaeu (some of you might remember me training myself on that one, heh). That way you can see why I'm doing the hills the way I am.

Fluesopp
02-10-2010, 10:05 AM
It's really looking nice. The only thing perhaps, is that your horizontal lines is just horizontal, and don't follow the flow of the hill. Perhaps that would make them look more 'hill-ish'.

What are the document size you are working with? And how many layers do you have? I'm having major performance problems if I have more than 15 layers, all with layer effects, and when your mountains have five layers...

Coyotemax
02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I see what you mean about the lines following the shape of the hill, but I want to finish the map within my lifetime and without damaging my wrist :) I may add another layer and go over that with some contourish lines though, that may help. Or see if there's a way to warp or displace them and still have them look just so...

The doc size is 6600x4800pixels (16x22 at 300dpi), and I've lost track of the layers, I don't even bother counting anymore. I just keep everything grouped for easy reference and off to the races I go.

For the background (land) I have.. 3 parchment textures and 4 maybe 5 adjustment layers. I also have 4 more layers set up for the terrain colours. The ocean layer has 1 texture at the moment, though I'm likely to add some more, and I believe 4 adjustment layers. Mountains, as you noticed, have 5. Hills at the moment have 3. Forests have 3, plus I have 2 for setting up masks for the forest generator. I would say at least 8 out of ten layers also have masks on them, and quite a few of them are linked. This map isn't heavy on layer styles, to my recollection the forest masks and the ocean/river layers are the only ones with effects. Eventually there'll be a parchment texture to overlay the whole thing and bring the palette together (though the effects on that one will likely be subtle, I'm doing a decent job of keeping everything in the same range, I think)

Well, you did ask :)

Once I get some dunes into the desert area, there will be a visual comparison that should bring the hills back into being just hills :)

fiskonius
02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
It looks awesome! I cant wait to see it finished

Fluesopp
02-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Impressive...... :o
And you don't notice much slowdown? What's your specs?

Coyotemax
02-10-2010, 05:26 PM
There might be a bit of slowdown, but I'm not noticing it much.

As for specs.. Erm, P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon9250 graphics card (128mb), dual monitors. and a pair of 72gig drives. I set my photoshop memory usage to 75% instead of the default of 50%, and let it use both drives as scratch drives. I also keep my history to 10 undo states. I think those are the bits that are most relevant to the photoshop use. I also have a nifty app called Tuneup Utilities which lets me configure a "turbo mode" which shuts off anything that's not system critical or related to the application being used at the time, frees up extra memory. I usually end up with me giving photoshop about 1.7gigs worth of that 2gb physical ram to play with.

If i *really* need more memory (i've worked on things that have slowed me down due to the sheer dimensions, let alone layers - the world of Aeran map comes to mind!) I'll flatten everything that's already done, then save it to my wife's laptop and work on that one instead (it has 4gb ram, 256 vidmem and i think it may even have a better processor than the desktop - I splurged when i got it for her :) ). When that's done, I'll port the new work layers back into the original.

Coyotemax
02-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I think I'm on to something here! Just need to fine tune the effect now.. maybe not blur it *quite* so much so it looks just as good at 100% as it does at 200% :)

Ascension
02-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Might be a good idea. I do everything at 200% just to make sure that it looks good.

Fluesopp
02-10-2010, 07:34 PM
The mountains and hills sure looks good. But the trees feel a little out of place. The style is much thinner and the shading is a bit different. Perhaps you should make your own trees for the map?

Coyotemax
02-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Fluesopp: Bloody heck, stop reading my mind!!!

:)

I'm redoing the brushes, yes. And I have an idea for the style that will cause them to match the hills and mountains a lot closer. Yay!

Coyotemax
02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
New hills! New Trees!

moutarde
02-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Oooh me likeys! Out of curiosity how many different tree and hill brushes did you have to make? ;)

fiskonius
02-15-2010, 10:11 PM
The new trees looks outstanding! I like the lines and small open areas between the clumps. The hills look pretty nice, too, of course. :)

Coyotemax
02-16-2010, 01:52 AM
The hills are completely done by hand. There are I think 15 different tree brushes, ran them through ramah's version of the automagic forest generator.

I like the lines behind the trees too. One of the new members had posted a map with that effect and i just *loved* it. Gave me a way to re-use the lined pattern I'd made for the broken up woodcut effect on the New Empire map, too. [edit] found it! (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9211-Howdy&p=101293&viewfull=1#post101293) Credit where it's due to JammyMatt.

Got ahold of a filter that does a sort of intaglio engraving effect, and ran that across the hill shading layer, yay! Tried that on the mountain shading too, but really, it didn't help it look any better.

Coyotemax
02-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Fluesopp: incidentally, I went through and organized my file today, cleared out the duplicate layers I was keeping as backups for testing purposes and the things I'd turned off after trying and not removing them when i stopped using them etc.

Hills (4 layers)
Mountains (5 layers)
Forest (3 layers)
Colour Adjustments (3 adjustment layers)
Water (3 texture/colour layers, 2 adjustment layers)
Terrain colours (5 layers)
Land/Map Base (3 textures, 2 adjusment layers)
6 active masks (don't feel like going through to list which ones are where)

30 layers total.
(after you asked the other day, i got curious and totalled everything, so figured i'd let you know the exact numbers instead of the off-the cuff remembering)

Fluesopp
02-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Interesting. It's actually not far from what I tend to have when it's nearing completion.
On an unrelated note, I found out that having a a outer glow on the landmass layer is killing the performance..

The trees look good, but now I think the ground shading is a bit dark there. It kinda drowns the wood cut effect, and makes the trees hard to define. The western forest shade is good, but the northern and the eastern is a bit dark.
(And a little more nitpicking, now the hills and mountains don't quite fit. I think it's the different amount of shading.
...It's easy to criticize when you can't draw yourself.....>_<)

Coyotemax
02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Heh, i know where you're coming from.

I'm filling in the spaces between the hills right now with fine detail work. Ti's a bit like the detail work on the light side of the mountains. This is probably going to be that part that drives me insane, if anything. There's a lot of work to do for this part :)

I did up some texture work on the deserts too while I took a break from the hills. And got the rivers worked over too. I'm also going to work over the mountains a tad to make them fit the hills and trees a bit closer, got some good ideas for that now.

thanks for the point about the trees, I do see what you mean. It should just be a matter of adjusting the green layer under them.

Progress!! At the rate I'm going i should be done by the end of the week. (and now i've put that where other people can see it, I gotta try to live up to it, heh)

moutarde
02-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Progress!! At the rate I'm going i should be done by the end of the week. (and now i've put that where other people can see it, I gotta try to live up to it, heh)

Oh boy. You shouldn't have said that ;) Good luck!

fiskonius
02-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Meh, oh well if it's not at the end of the week. The map looks gorgeous!

Coyotemax
02-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Well I did get the hardest part done, filling in the little hill details.

I'm going to work over the ocean layer a bit more to see if I can get it to match what I see in my mind's eye.

After that, start adding the fiddly bits, give it a border and a scale and such, and see what else needs to be done!

torstan
02-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Nice work - that's a lot of patience you've got there! I like how this has developed. There's a very big desert to the right of that northern continent. Is that going to stay featureless? It's quite a dramatic contrast to the beautifully detailed mountain ranges.

I love the use of those tree brushes - that forest looks great.

Coyotemax
02-19-2010, 05:15 PM
I've been waffling on adding in a few areas with dunes. I'm waiting until I forget exactly how much work i put into the hills (the dunes will be a similar style) before I start on them :)

torstan
02-19-2010, 05:49 PM
You know you'll end up with them in the end :)

If you are going to do the dunes I'd make them lower and flatter, and space them out more. That will leave the desert lighter over all which fits with the view of sand.

JammyMatt
02-21-2010, 12:00 PM
This is looking great! The colours and textures on the land mass and sea are lovely, gives a really good impression of the climate and terrain. Looking forward to updates.

Coyotemax
02-26-2010, 04:31 AM
Not *entirely* happy with the dunes yet, I'm going to redo the ground details around them, but this is pretty close to what I was after.

I'll also likely toss a few oases here and there for extra flavour. This part is going a lot faster than I was expecting once it started moving, yay!

moutarde
02-26-2010, 01:10 PM
They look a little... wavy, I guess, or kinda like shark fins... I think just rounding off the tops might do the trick... Dunes usually have pretty clearly defined ridges, I think, but not pointy tops. I could be wrong though, I'm no expert on deserts ;)

fiskonius
02-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Looks good man! looks good! I like the lines between the dunes. it adds a sense of depth to them

Coyotemax
02-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Gald you're liking the progress :) I've been fighting with the shapes of the dunes again, using actual dunes as reference instead of previous hand drawn maps (which the dunes are based off)

It seems like every map I've done has one point that I slam into like a brick wall. I've found this one :)

Coyotemax
03-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Ok, the dunes are coming along really well suddenly. left them for a few days, and sat down and whammo!

Steel General
03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Yup, yup, yup...me likey dose doons! :D

moutarde
03-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Yeah! Now those are some nice dunes :)

Coyotemax
03-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Nearly there! Farmlands are marked out, woohoo, and I just have to add in an oasis or 3 and set up the delta for the desert river.

Then I can start on the fun stuff - but I've already started on that. I tested some overlay ideas to smooth the palette out a bit. I'll likely change the pattern itself (use one of my scanned parchments - right now i'm using some of my satellite desert and scrub textures) but I'm likeing the direction it's going.

I'll probably desaturate the fields a bit too, the hue got intensified by the overlay.

Also I'm on a new course of meds for my back now, so if anything seems way off and I don't seem to notice, feel free to let me know :P

Coyotemax
03-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Desert done! Scale and compass rose placed, overlays finalized, going to add borders next, just need to play around with it a bit.

Almost done! Now I just need to find out what else is needed, and make sure I'm not missing anything :)

Coyotemax
03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Well then, it feels good to look at something and say I'm ready to call it complete.

Pending further requests from the client, here goes nothing.

I'm posting a 50% sized version on here for perusal. It can be seen in it's full glory on my deviantart page (http://coyotemax.deviantart.com/art/Fullsize-Campaign-Map-156259859) in the scrapbook section.

I know a map is a map, but once I put the border on, it slapped me upside the head :) that's what it was missing this whole time. Usually I do the border near the beginning, it helps set the tone for the map for me. This time I actually left it nearly to the last, silly me :) I had to redo the artistic bits to match the border this time, instead of the other way round. Ahwell, it was worth it!

torstan
03-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Wow, that's gorgeous.

My one note is that the lettering on the scale bar is a little tricky to read. Perhaps a little black in there would help.

I love the flourishes. Did you create the dragon and the compass from scratch? I'd love to know how you did those. Is it vector work?

Really really great, and 10 out of 10 for patience. It really shows.

Edit: You're going to hate me, but I have an issue with your farmland (/ducks). It's top down at the moment, with equal spacing top to bottom as right to left. That jars with your mountain, hill and tree styles which is beautifully isometric. To fit the farmland in you need to shrink it vertically by around 57%. That will make it iso.

Steel General
03-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Nice work C-Max!

Coyotemax
03-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Steel General: thanks!

Wow, that's gorgeous.

My one note is that the lettering on the scale bar is a little tricky to read. Perhaps a little black in there would help.

I love the flourishes. Did you create the dragon and the compass from scratch? I'd love to know how you did those. Is it vector work?

Really really great, and 10 out of 10 for patience. It really shows.

Edit: You're going to hate me, but I have an issue with your farmland (/ducks). It's top down at the moment, with equal spacing top to bottom as right to left. That jars with your mountain, hill and tree styles which is beautifully isometric. To fit the farmland in you need to shrink it vertically by around 57%. That will make it iso.

You're right, I do hate you!
Seriously though, thanks for pointing it out, there was something bothering me and I couldn't place it, the farmlands were it. Won't be too hard to update, actually, I just have to add 2 more steps to the process and redo it, might take an hour including all the experimenting I'll be likely to do.

I'm still not sure on wether I want the scale marker placed where it is, I thought it would be a neat idea to use the empty spaces in th border, but I think I'll move it up a bit into the central portion, that'll give me more room to work with.

The compass was pieced together from a few separate bits, those and the critter and border are all from the same place, actually. It was a bit of a blast from the past.. I'd gone through my cd collection looking for a few things, found some vector clipart cd's i'd procured back in the day and what do you know, I actually have a use for some of the stuff on them :) Wish I would have remembered them back when I was working on the first set of maps for AslanC, I'd spent days working on the borders and compasses for those maps!

torstan
03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
I was about to say - those bits of work looked suspiciously like days worth of work. I always do my borders and compass last and I'm never quite happy with them. These are a great example of what happens when you get them right.

Coyotemax
03-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Actually I streamlined the process for the fields quite a bit, suddenly they're just a layer on their own, and I did some transforms on the layer and masked everything off. And zomg thank you torstan for pointing it out - it was **just** what needed to happen.

*rep* :D

Anyhow, here's the final version, assuming the client doesn't hate it, or I missed something big and terrible :)

As before, uploading a detail crop of fullsize to show off the new fields, a 50% version for the site here, and a 100% version on deviantart (http://coyotemax.deviantart.com/art/Fullsize-Campaign-Map-156259859) (just re-uploading over the previous, people have already gone and favourited it and added it to collections, argh it wasn't finished! lol)

moutarde
03-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Fabulous and beautiful!! I can't rep you. Apparently I rep you too much :p

Ascension
03-06-2010, 07:56 AM
That "lion rampant" is awesome. Or is it "stag rampant"?

Coyotemax
03-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Actually if you look close, you'll see it's a Satyr Rampant :)

It was that or a cherub. I figured this would work better :D

Steel General
03-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Great work C-Max, like the new avatar as well.

torstan
03-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Very nice! Like this all a lot. The new scale is very cool too. Glad those fields worked out for you :)

Coyotemax
03-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone, and the feedback.

Bonus: the client has indicated that labels and towns are to be added afterall - This is gonna be good!

I might just get a copy printed to hang on my own wall at the rate things are going :P

Gandwarf
03-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Wowsers... looking stunning! I am surprised you still have wall space left for your maps? :)

Coyotemax
03-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Heh, I've only hung 3 :) Te Amo (for the wife), New Empire (since it was a spare) and Barovia (first map that actually turned out the way I envisioned it from start to finish).

I'm doing the shading on my own, but props and thanks to Ramah for the house/village/castle outlines in brush form - I really can't make them any better.

Also playing with labels, I think the feathering might be a bit much around the text, but it's on the right track. These are not final placements, or town names, just my testing while I wait for the actual placement and names :)

Andartar
03-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Well this is turning out to be a marvelous map! I really like how the borders fit with the "theme" of the map!

Korash
03-07-2010, 01:52 PM
yup, this sure is puurty :)

A quick thought: I am assuming that the more complex buildings are for the larger population centers. I know they are just placeholders atm, but is that what you are thinking?

Coyotemax
03-07-2010, 05:36 PM
That's exactly what i was thinking.

Karro
03-08-2010, 04:01 PM
This has gone from very cool to very awesome. I love the look! It puts me in mind of Ramah's Vanaiya maps, but still with its own unique flavor.

ZleapingBear
03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
0_0

-_- *blink....

O_O .o0O(oooooh Im in love....)

I realy like everything about this map.. this is a top five of its own...

Cant rep this enough...

Cool map. design-colors-everything.

ravells
03-08-2010, 04:33 PM
It's beautiful!!! One (minor) suggestion to try though, you've got a promentory to the top left of the landmass which looks a bit off, made me wonder whether you should put the landmass more in perspective? It would just seem to fit with everything else...but maybe you want it to have that 16th C look without the perspective....

Coyotemax
03-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I thought about perspective briefly.. and it's something I'm likely to play around with in a future map, but for the moment I'm sticking to the "Bleau Look" :)

Ok, I have towns marked out to assist with the naming process :)
Red = Village (83)
Pink = City (12)
Blue = Walled City (2)
Green = Castle/Fort (3)

Things should end up looking more or less like the test screenshot from earlier - but I have to say the castle i put in the middle of the mountains looks pretty nice, it was worth all the effort into masking it just right :P

Oh, and fiskonius, I can place the name of the continent/island in the top left with the scale marker, if you'd like to name it. Won't take any effort at all to make room.

Coyotemax
03-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I may be done!

Photoshop was giving me attitude while I was tryin to save the full resolution version to update the DA page, so that hasn't been done yet (while the file as a whole isn't slowing me down too much while working on it, opening and saving can take over ten mins each, yikes).

Anyhow, I took the opportunity to zoomify it!

So, Scaled version to show off most of the map as a whole, unscaled detail closeup, and this time a zoomable/scrollable version at http://home.cogeco.ca/~coyote/mapfile3.html

Karro
03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Excellent work.

Coyotemax
03-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Oh, i guess I should have closed off the thread with a post mentioning that it has been completed, final posting in the finished map forum here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9618-Campaign-Map

Thanks though! :)

jfrazierjr
03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
I totally agree - it's just that my scribbling is done with hard round brush on one layer that I then reduce the opacit of and work ove the top of on a new layer. I don't add colour until later. I like the approach of throwing a bit of colour in early on.

Lol... I sooooooo wish I could work like that, but I NEVER have a clear idea of what the whole thing is going to look like, so I always have to start with a bit here, add color and get right, move to another place, do again... Besides, I am no where near comfortable enough with my line work that I can do something the way I might want it in the first pass....

Legiazus
04-04-2010, 10:37 AM
You, sir, are awesome. You make maps the way I dream them. Is there going to be more work on this particular map?

Coyotemax
04-04-2010, 07:11 PM
No, no further work.

it's done :)

If you check up a few posts, I put in a link to the final product :)

Oh, i guess I should have closed off the thread with a post mentioning that it has been completed, final posting in the finished map forum here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9618-Campaign-Map

Woohoo!