PDA

View Full Version : Unnamed Land

Nolasco
02-01-2010, 07:02 PM
This is a map I drew some time ago while in between campaigns.
Not aiming for anything in particular, just a blank generic map based on the 3rd edition Forgotten Realms design.
Digital, Photoshop CS3 and some overlay designs.

Ascension
02-02-2010, 01:29 AM
I had thought about trying this style once until I saw how many lines ya gotta put in the mountains...ugh. Looks good and reminiscent of the original. I think your variations on the style look nice, and in some places better, so you could probably develop that further.

Coyotemax
02-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Yikes! At least with the mountains I'm doing all the shading lines go the same direction, this would drive me nuts!
Looking good though! Can't say I've seen that style before.. and new is always good (and inspiring, as much as I dread attempting this!)

Diamond
02-02-2010, 01:56 AM
I like it. It's simple, clean, and effective. The only thing I'd do is maybe add a darker outline to the coasts to help balance out the mountains.

Steel General
02-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Very reminiscent of 3E maps - nice job!

jfrazierjr
02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
VERY NICE!!!! I do rather like this as as stylistic map. Once thing, it appears (perhaps it's my eyes) that you have several of your rivers going up a cliff face. 21741

Generally, the lines going perpendicular to a cliff face means down and away as in a drop, but there are several rivers that go opposite this in flow direction. Anyway, this is still a very nice map!

Nolasco
02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
VERY NICE!!!! I do rather like this as as stylistic map. Once thing, it appears (perhaps it's my eyes) that you have several of your rivers going up a cliff face. 21741

Generally, the lines going perpendicular to a cliff face means down and away as in a drop, but there are several rivers that go opposite this in flow direction. Anyway, this is still a very nice map!

Thanks for noticing. You're partly right.
Seems like I got the cliff faces inverted, I came to understand this later, but, in my head, the lines are indicators of the cliff ledge instead of the slope... Long story short the 'higher' part is, actually, the 'lower' part. :twisted:

jfrazierjr
02-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks for noticing. You're partly right.
Seems like I got the cliff faces inverted, I came to understand this later, but, in my head, the lines are indicators of the cliff ledge instead of the slope... Long story short the 'higher' part is, actually, the 'lower' part. :twisted:

Ah... I see what your saying.... Hmmm... one way to possibly break this illusion would be to carry your cliff line partially transparent (or fully opaque) over top of the water flow lines. Perhaps also adding some highlights at the bottom of the cliff to indicate a waterfall white-water type effect.

Again, this is just a minor issue (to me) for what is still a very map...