PDA

View Full Version : February Mapping Challenge Entry - "I love HP Lovecraft"

Juggernaut1981
02-01-2010, 09:13 PM
As many who know me personally understand... I have a love for early 1900s horror/wierd stories. I own a couple of hardcover books of HP Lovecraft (and the stories he also edited) and a big number of my BBEGs are clearly inspired by Lovecraft-esque themes. So I feel, that this 1-page test, I will make as a homage the the GREAT HP Lovecraft.

I am considering taking a quick straw poll from people first...

1) Madman's Laboratory
2) Mental Asylum
3) Underground "Ryl'yeh" type complex
4) Ancient Building suitably filled with beasties (possible Haunted House-type option here)
5) Cursed Landscape...

Please put your Straws on my Profile (http://www.cartographersguild.com/member.php?13630-Juggernaut1981). I'll check in a day or two and then go from there.

*Sighs the contented sigh of Cthulhu*

mearrin69
02-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Sounds awesome and I'm certainly a fan of Lovecraft-inspired stuff in D&D. I have never read [*gasp*] any of his stuff, however, so would you mind telling a bit more about

3) Underground "Ryl'yeh" type complex

because I don't know what it is but it sounds like it might be something cool...

My entire knowledge of Cthulu comes from friends versed in it, old-school D&D, and modern Paizo. I don't know enough to tell my Ps from my Qs, however.
M

Juggernaut1981
02-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Okay, short version...
Get an octopus, shove it onto a dragon's body, get rid of dragon's legs and replace them with ape-like arms & legs. That's the visuals on Cthulhu.
Various bits basically say "Cthulhu" is some great powerful almost deity being that is absolutely and completely insane. Cthulhu dreams and people half a world away have nightmares and do strange things.

Lovecraft type horror is a progression from the "classic ghost story", but with a lot of the "moralism" taken out. The world is full of stuff that science can't explain and basically thinks you are lunch (or doesn't really care at all about you and will squash you like an ant). Think Edgar Allan Poe, but without the morality you find in things like "A Telltale Heart".

"Ryl'yeh" is said to be the underwater complex that is inhabited by Cthulhu as he dreams. Basically to go inside sends you insane, to meet Cthulhu sends folds your skin inside out, makes your brain explode and THEN makes you insane...

"The Far Realms" and most of the abberations are inspired by Lovecraft.

Coyotemax
02-02-2010, 12:14 AM
If you've read any Stephen King, he was heavily influenced by Lovecraft. King's spookier works start to show those elements. Room 1408 (recently made into a half decent movie) is one such story. That may help a bit too, with some more modern reference :)

The Elder Gods, as we refer to them, are a very strange bunch, and like Juggernaut says, they're either entirely hostile and offended by our existence, or just doing their thing and don't care or notice, and we just get swept up in the psychic backlash of their mere presence :) And then there's the ones where it's creepy inbred backwoods mountainmen finding strange things in the forests and they head in to town with weird ideas in their heads, and no one is happy after that, heh.

It's great stuff!! I highly recommend! there's some great collections out these days too. One of my favourites from the newer authors writing in the style is Pickman's Modem (a take-off on Pickman's Model, a Lovecraft story) where the modem has it's own dark agenda and warps the bbs and newsgroup postings that it's owner is subscribed to :)

So yeah, that gives you a small inkling of how looking forward to this map I am :)

mearrin69
02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah, well, you've got me hooked. I am actually a pretty big King fan. His writing is IMHO about the best of any modern author; the guy's got a way with words (never thought I'd say that about a modern multi-book author...and I avoided even trying to read him for a long, long time). I'm also a fan of just about any aberration or twisted bit that has appeared in D&D.

So, let's see that map. :) Finish it, or we'll come to Sydney and explode your brain. We might come to Sydney anyway, of course...I hear it's lovely.
M

Juggernaut1981
02-02-2010, 04:41 PM
So, I'm personally looking to lean between the Mad Laboratory and "Ryl'yeh". I think both of them would make for an awesome adventure setting, way too many options as a GM/DM and really engaging environment to play in (if you have the playgroup that is willing to immerse, otherwise any adventure is about equal to "hey guys, how about you fight what's on page 114 next...")

Mad Lab: Because I LOVED the story about the insane surgeon (and based a D&D Dungeon/NPC on that precise character).
Ryl'yeh: Because seriously, how much fun would it be to have a map of the near-famous sleeping place of Cthulhu? (Cthulhu not included, requires 2xAA battery)

Juggernaut1981
02-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I was kicking around without heaps to do at my desk (except filing... BORING)... and I've decided (sans help from you mob! sheeesh can't even give a guy a little extra decision making power!) and after thinking about it... It is time to unveil...

Coyotemax
02-02-2010, 08:10 PM
YES!!! my evil mind control laser worked!!

Erm

What are you all looking at? go back to mapping.

(seriously, excellent choice!)

su_liam
02-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah, R'lyeh would have been better, but the mere sight of it would have driven everyone on CG insane, so... yeah.

Coyotemax
02-02-2010, 08:31 PM
We're not already there?

Immolate
02-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Me likey. I love distressed maps.

Juggernaut1981
02-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Here we go people, the first full layout of Dr Tsath's Laboratory. Blurby-text (suitable for inspiring players and DMs alike) on the right hand side. Three sections for encounters on the left.

Coyotemax
02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
That almost reads like a news articlle.. I love it :)

Jaxilon
02-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Indeed, it does, very well presented.

Juggernaut1981
02-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Feel free to C&C the crap out of it guys... I'm thinking of ways to improve it...
Either that or I may just crack out another entry... are you allowed to enter twice?

(This really does show that I used to think up half of my adventure modules about a week before I ran them...)

PlumCrazy
02-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Love it! But where are the baths on the first floor? (The secret architect coming out in me :-) )

Coyotemax
02-02-2010, 11:56 PM
I would at the very least work over the layout to age it a bit, match the border. Maybe even do that to the text.

Juggernaut1981
02-03-2010, 12:16 AM
What you missed the tiled sections near the bedrooms?

Juggernaut1981
02-03-2010, 12:17 AM
I would at the very least work over the layout to age it a bit, match the border. Maybe even do that to the text.
Aaah the Ageing you note is mostly a byproduct of SCALING... but yeah probably should distress the text a bit.

ravells
02-03-2010, 04:33 AM
Lovely work! I really like the pattern fills you've used. I think there's a typo (unless it's an alternative spelling) - Orangutan rather than Arangutan.

Quick question: why are the walls of the laboratory different in design to the walls of the house? Is the lab in the cellar or a separate building? A simple little map of the outside of the house and the grounds might be quite cool too.

Steel General
02-03-2010, 08:43 AM
This is looking pretty cool so far.

Djekspek
02-03-2010, 03:45 PM
indeed looking very good (and bloody ;) Jugg! Lille comment: the fonts in the labels of the rooms somehow seem to be 'cropped' at some places. cheers

Juggernaut1981
02-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Lovely work! I really like the pattern fills you've used. I think there's a typo (unless it's an alternative spelling) - Orangutan rather than Arangutan.

Quick question: why are the walls of the laboratory different in design to the walls of the house? Is the lab in the cellar or a separate building? A simple little map of the outside of the house and the grounds might be quite cool too.

Aurangutan is a nod to the tendency for wild spelling found in late 19th century texts. If you read a lot of that style of story from the period, you notice all sorts of bizarre prior spellings for words - many of them are just phoneticisations of words they've heard. So, I bastardised the name of the Orangutan and also referred to Indonesia as the Dutch East Indies (as would have still been habit or I could always replace it with other "out of date" names...)

Simple it is because I am a SHAMELESS thief. Why invent a nice elaborate mansion, when the nice people who build houses in Orange County California (and similar place) nicely display them on the inter-nerd for people who have way too much cash? A little copy-paste here, a few cut-copy-obliterate the previous font there... replace with new font so it looks like it might have come from 1897...

Yes, the laboratory is a separate building. (In both senses of the phrase).

Juggernaut1981
02-03-2010, 04:20 PM
indeed looking very good (and bloody ;) Jugg! Lille comment: the fonts in the labels of the rooms somehow seem to be 'cropped' at some places. cheers

I did the floorplans and relabelled them, then realised that it was going to crowd out the text, so I took the layers with the floor-plans and ham-fisted a "Scale by 95%" job on them. This may explain a little bit of the word cropping/distortion.

Plans for today> A little more distressing, including a nice "broadsheet paper background"... maybe edit the blurb a bit more.

ravells
02-03-2010, 04:34 PM
In that case...you need to have mention of the Giant Rat of Sumatra!!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_rat)

Apologies for being too short-sighted to see the intentional (and now I see it, very clever) change of spelling.

I like your thievery of house designs. Finally estate agents can give back to the world.

Juggernaut1981
02-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Do you know about the Indonesian Coffee Possum?
There are a few places in Indonesia where they specifically keep a kind of "possum" (I don't know if thats the right animal family but they look similar) to EAT coffee berries... the animal then craps out the "raw" coffee bean in its droppings... people then go around, collect the droppings to gather up the raw beans, then wash them roast them and sell them. 100g of Possum Poo Coffee sells for something like $40US ($50AUD).

Try THAT for scary but true...

Thanks for the C&C Ravs. More updates will be coming in a little while... when I find a suitable "newspaper stock" texture image. The paper texture in GIMP sucks bollocks...

Ascension
02-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I read about that a year or so ago and thought, some people are just plain stupid. How trendy those people must think they are...they're the ones who all went out and put tiny dogs in their purses. If I had money to burn on crap like that then I'd do like Lewis Black and get myself my own personal ball-washer instead of drinking poo coffee.

ravells
02-03-2010, 05:34 PM
good luck on finding your newspaper filter (I think it's called half-tone).

Juggernaut1981
02-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Okay people, decided to try some paper stock textures to spice up things a little. Also included some noise on the whole document (Noise layer, set to multiple, convert other layers to multiply and drop to about 80% opacity)

Aged Paper

Cheap Paper

Plain Paper

Jaxilon
02-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Do you know about the Indonesian Coffee Possum?
There are a few places in Indonesia where they specifically keep a kind of "possum" (I don't know if thats the right animal family but they look similar) to EAT coffee berries... the animal then craps out the "raw" coffee bean in its droppings... people then go around, collect the droppings to gather up the raw beans, then wash them roast them and sell them. 100g of Possum Poo Coffee sells for something like $40US ($50AUD).

Try THAT for scary but true...

The paper texture in GIMP sucks bollocks...

Kopi_Luwak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak) is the coffee you speak of. "Kopi Luwak was the most expensive coffee in the world, selling for between $100 and $600 USD per pound, and is sold mainly in Japan and the United States by weight, and served in coffeehouses in Southeast Asia by the cup. It is increasingly becoming available elsewhere, though supplies are limited; only 1,000 pounds (450 kg) at most make it into the world market each year."

Why?! Indeed an exceptionally great question, however according to the wiki: "the droppings produced an exceptional coffee with unusual taste and lack of bitterness." Has something to do with the animals enzymes effecting the beans supposedly.

I have no idea how this stuff tastes but it sure seems to me that it is a bunch of Bull or rather Cat-$#!(. LOL

And finally, I ask, "What paper texture?" LOL

Juggernaut1981
02-03-2010, 07:06 PM
And finally, I ask, "What paper texture?" LOL

Bucket Fill > Fill with Pattern > Paper

Jaxilon
02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Hehe, I know, unfortunately sarcasm doesn't come across on the Internet, which is ok, because I'm terrible at it anyway. Basically that was my silly way of agreeing with you though.

Gamerprinter
02-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Nice job, Jughead! You're getting better at this.

No one's mentioned it yet, but, "No, you can't create more than a single map entry per challenge..." that's the rules.

While I love the macabre world and bestiary of H.P. Lovecraft, I've never really acquired the taste for most of his actual writing. Almost all of his work begins with the narrator explaining that he is currently in an insane asylum - The Dunwich Horror comes most readily to mind, (although I like that one, better than most.)

Of course there have been many later writers of the Cthulu mythos, since Lovecraft - Clark Ashton Smith and many others. I've even read recent work by current authors where the entire tale has a Cthulu flavor if not Shoggoths
themselves.

Incidentally, H.P. Lovecraft was allergic to seafood, and I've heard that helped create his squid/octopus anti-fetish in his work.

GP

Juggernaut1981
02-03-2010, 08:31 PM
GP> There are long associations with the Sea (and the creatures from it) being chaotic and evil. Jewish mythology and the Greeks associate the oceans with chaos, destruction and undefined evil. BOOO Only one map... (I might just have to create a 1-Page Ryl'yeh somewhere else then...)

One of the writing tricks he uses is the "personal flashback" its a hallmark of the period and style. I'm currently reading through a compilation of texts written by others that he heavily edited. Nearly all of them are written in a first-person flashback style. There are some stunning ones amongst his stuff... Dunwich Horror isn't one of my favourites. Herbert West - Reanimator and The Statement of Robert Carter are some of my preferred ones. Zaelia Bishop has written a few good ones that were edited by Lovecraft, The Mound is one of the better ones. I actually based a D&D module on a variation on Herbert West, this map is also an indirect reference to the Herbert West story and The Last Test by Adolphe de Castro.

Ghostman
02-04-2010, 11:27 AM
The "Aged Paper" version looks the best to me, though it might give the impression of being a bit too aged. Also the blood stains on it look fresh rather than long-since dried ones, although this could be the preferred implication.

Incidentally, H.P. Lovecraft was allergic to seafood, and I've heard that helped create his squid/octopus anti-fetish in his work.
He also suffered from nightmares, which he took inspiration from. Probably a big influence to his "dream cycle" works. And then there's his racist fears that show blatantly in some stories.

GP> There are long associations with the Sea (and the creatures from it) being chaotic and evil. Jewish mythology and the Greeks associate the oceans with chaos, destruction and undefined evil.
Doesn't pretty much every seafaring culture have some sea monsters in their myths? Must be something about being confined on a precarious contraption of wood, ropes and sails in the middle of this chaos of threshing waves, with nothing but salty water to be seen in any direction. Add to that that you have no reliable means of location/navigation, no detailed charts compiled with advantage of aerial/satellite tech, and no real understanding of what lies beneath the surface... the Sea can be pretty damn scary thing. No wonder that sailors have been notoriously superstitious.

arsheesh
02-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey Juggernaut1981, like the map allot. Quick question for you. What kind of software did you use to do the floor-plans? I'm thinking about doing floor plans of my own for some of the building's in one of the towns used in my campaign, and am trying to get a feel for what kind of software I should use to do this.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

su_liam
02-04-2010, 03:42 PM
The "Aged Paper" version looks the best to me, though it might give the impression of being a bit too aged. Also the blood stains on it look fresh rather than long-since dried ones, although this could be the preferred implication.

He also suffered from nightmares, which he took inspiration from. Probably a big influence to his "dream cycle" works. And then there's his racist fears that show blatantly in some stories.

Nightmares and racism. The gasoline of horror. Just add a spark of inspiration.

Doesn't pretty much every seafaring culture have some sea monsters in their myths? Must be something about being confined on a precarious contraption of wood, ropes and sails in the middle of this chaos of threshing waves, with nothing but salty water to be seen in any direction. Add to that that you have no reliable means of location/navigation, no detailed charts compiled with advantage of aerial/satellite tech, and no real understanding of what lies beneath the surface... the Sea can be pretty damn scary thing. No wonder that sailors have been notoriously superstitious.

Ever read Perfect Storm? GPS, sonar and a rational/scientific worldview be damned, King Neptune will still step on you like a bug! The sea is really scary place. Not less so for knowing it.

I imagine space would be like that, too. Nothing more between you and an infinite expanse of suffocating, eye-boiling nothing, than a sheet of 16-gage stressed aluminum. And the storms up there just make you vomit, lose your hair and die curled up in back-breaking convulsions. Didn't Cthulhu fly naked through the unspeakable nothingness of space?

Juggernaut1981
02-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Hey Juggernaut1981, like the map allot. Quick question for you. What kind of software did you use to do the floor-plans? I'm thinking about doing floor plans of my own for some of the building's in one of the towns used in my campaign, and am trying to get a feel for what kind of software I should use to do this.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Arsheesh, the floor plans were done with Google & GIMP. I found the floor plans from the internet and then edited them so they fitted better visually.

arsheesh
02-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Aw, I see. Thanks Juggernaut1981.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Juggernaut1981
02-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Okay, I've tried to "age" the blood by darkening it up. I might need to "brown" it more. Plus, there has been a little layout addition at the bottom. Not sure if it's right... I may end up having to scale layers down further and juggle things around to fit them in. Anywho... here is an update on Dr Tsath's Lab.

21822http://www.cartographersguild.com/images/cartographer/misc/pencil.png

Ghostman
02-05-2010, 06:22 AM
The blood seems better now, though perhaps still a bit uniform in color. Might look better with some patches of darker and lighter shade thrown into the mix, or maybe not. You'll have to experiment to find out.

It does seem to be getting rather cramped now with the Squire's Mansion added. The text also looks a bit too clean in contrast with the rather rugged appearance of the rest of the map. Reducing it's opacity or adding some noise to the ink might make it blend with the background paper better. Using a different font (simulating either handwriting or an old typewriter) might also improve the appearance.

ravells
02-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Rather than using such a detailed inset, I'd be tempted to almost have a sketch of the mansion (just the outline) and lab in the surrounding grounds, showing the driveway and any major features like ponds or woods etc. Looks lovely.

Juggernaut1981
02-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Ghost & Ravs> As usual guys, thanks for the C&C. As a DM I'm conscious that you need some level of detail (a drawing of the front while handy will probably chew up more room than it would be worth on this 1 page). I think I'll just have to clear that layer, draw in a layout of the mansion complex/gardens and tinker with some of the "purdy stuff".

The thing about the font is that it is supposed to look like it has come from a typesetter. It may just mean I need to tone down the ruggedness. The document is supposed to be late 1800s, early 1900 (pre WWI). Which is a lot of the time frame for Lovecraft's stories. I'll tinker, do different verions, upload them when I get the chance.

In other things, I feel like I've spawned a "horror challenge" this month... The Bone Harvest, Necromancer's Lair, et al. I'm feeling a touch trend-setter...

mrrkyl
02-07-2010, 05:32 PM
The floor plans are great and really spark the imagination but they are too clean/modern looking for what you seem to be aiming at.

Ghostman
02-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Juggernaut, you might want to check out these links:
http://www.fontriver.com/fancy/typewriter/
http://www.fontspace.com/category/typewriter
http://www.1001freefonts.com/typewriter-fonts.php

Juggernaut1981
02-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Myrrkl: As the kid of an engineer... building plans don't look much different from back in the 1900s. Seriously. And it is dirt easy to get a nice simple design of that kind with ruler, ink and tech pens (again "old" technology).

Ghost> I might poke about and see what I can see...

Juggernaut1981
02-07-2010, 06:12 PM
See Ghost, I think we're thinking across paths. You're thinking Typewriter. I'm thinking TypeSETTER (i.e. Printing Press).

I actually dislike associating horror with the "classic typewriter" thing. I mean sure, X-Files basically shoved the two together and they never separated after that. People think horror/mysterious happenings and they think it should be done with typewriters (like the "Military Map" for a secret base we recently saw that featured carefully done lines in all sorts of colours and a heavily distressed typewriter font... because it's military...)

I'd be tempted to use such fonts as Century Schoolbook, and other mass produced PRINTERS fonts. It's kind of supposed to feel like a bit of a news article. Or a fallen page from a book, or something like that. This isn't the "autopsy report" or "the policeman's report". If I was heading down that path, then I'd be all over typewriter fonts like a fat kid on chocolate.

Gamerprinter
02-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Not a font per se, but I was googling for something else and found this article (PDF) about a prehistoric lion found in London, the article is new stamp dated as 1912, but the body of text looks original - might be worth a look for some ideas.

NYTimes article (http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=950CE3D61F39E633A25755C2A9619C946596D6CF)

GP

Juggernaut1981
02-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks GP.

Juggernaut1981
02-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Did some font trawling... here is one modified version using a font called Hultog (apparently the forum wants this to be an attachment and not intext)
Also done a modified version with Jenson and DuBellay.

Tell me what you think people, because changing the others requires direct editing of the manion layout levels (the text was merged).

Coyotemax
02-10-2010, 01:09 AM
I like them all, but I think the last one (the attached thumbnail one, not the ones that are inline) fits best to my eye. That would be Hultog then?

Steel General
02-10-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm with CoyoteMax, I like the third one best.

Davros01
02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
looks really nice. on the attachment, the words go to far through the border, so I wouldn't recommend that one. Other than that, it blows mine out of the water! Great job!!

Juggernaut1981
02-10-2010, 05:16 PM
The text bleed was just a byproduct of laziness more than anything. I'd adjust the text size to fit. It may also give me a bit more room for a layout sketch and even a "front on sketch".

I think that one may have been a Jensen font version. Going off to edit away now...

Juggernaut1981
02-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Added in a new map of the Mansion Grounds.
Shrank the other maps. Added in new labels. Changed the fonts.

### LATEST WIP ###

Coyotemax
02-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Ooh., That's prty!

Ascension
02-11-2010, 08:26 AM
What are you gonna do about that heavily-pixellated border thingy?

Djekspek
02-11-2010, 05:01 PM
this is looking real good Jugg, love the floorplans! as for the pixalated border, i'd say splash it all with more blood!! hehe, or maybe there is some (combi of) filters in PS you can use to sharpen and then soften it a little to make it blend in more twith the pic. cheers

Juggernaut1981
02-11-2010, 05:05 PM
What are you gonna do about that heavily-pixellated border thingy?

Not sure, I think I need to get some expert Google-Fu going and find out how to "depixelate" that border. It's another byproduct of "oooh nice image... 300px high??? AWWWW, but I wannit!!!"

*goes to Jacky Chan* Oh great masterrr, help me reach an enlightened level of Google-Fu or promoter of Hair Products, Soft Drinks during the Beijing Olympics and Posterchild for Internet Security Products...^

^Note: Those really are things Jacky Chan has done in advertising... I've seen the ads personally.

Djekspek
02-11-2010, 05:21 PM
hehe, try this version or did you use that? link (http://images.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Aubrey-HistoryOfEngland-Vol2/pages/438-Border-of-twigs/438-Border-of-twigs-q80-2338x3546.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Aubrey-HistoryOfEngland-Vol2/pages/438-Border-of-twigs/2338x3546-q80.html&usg=__o2KapA1PRIB_3Vp8-DTrul3Sm2o=&h=3546&w=2338&sz=555&hl=nl&start=5&sig2=89NYsCjWCdwOYnbrSk0e0A&itbs=1&tbnid=RAfOOEDGopRpbM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfree%2Bborder%2Bart%26imgsz%3Dl%26gbv %3D2%26hl%3Dnl%26tbo%3D1&ei=5IF0S9auA42f-gbR86ieCA)

Juggernaut1981
02-11-2010, 05:26 PM
*gasps* NOOO, damn it why couldn't I have found that the first time!!!

Juggernaut1981
02-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Included a new border... thanks to Djek

### Latest WIP ###

rdanhenry
02-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Now that's a border! Looking good. Well, kind of evil... which is good, because that's what it's going for.

Juggernaut1981
02-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks...
I also noticed something which may have been contributing to the "blurriness"... I had my noise layer WAAAAAY off alignment. But the new border helped lots.

I'm feeling like its done...

Ghostman
02-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Looking excellent now. Can't find any flaws left to point out :)

Ascension
02-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing Gman. Juggy, don't overclutter it now...just clean up miscellaneous things that forgot to get erased or aligned properly and little stuff like that.

arsheesh
02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Wow! What a great looking map. I love the border, and those blood stains look eerily real. I'm impressed. Have some rep Juggergnome.

cheers,

-Arsheesh

Rythal
02-14-2010, 10:02 AM
one minor problem: the blood in the top right corner has a line on the edge showing where the image ends. you might want to feather that or something just to make it seem less like you put an image on top and more like actual blood. other than that it looks good!

Juggernaut1981
02-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Rythal> See this is why "big picture" thinkers like me need to hang around with friendly "anally attentive to detail" people like yourself...

Fidgeted, fussed and erased bits until it looked better.
Oh btw... for those in the cheap seats... This Map was entirely done by Keyboard and Mouse. There were no pens, no shiney niceness... HOWEVER a fair amount was pretty much grabbed of the great internerd and laid out. Text is original but based on a story edited by HP Lovecraft and a story written by H P Lovecraft. The title is a bastardisation of one of his preferred "wacko-gods" and of course, perfection added by the various C&Cers around the place. I realised as I typed this that I forgot to include an important but kind of gruesome detail to the mansion grounds map... The Animal Mass Grave... *goes away to add... will post results later*

Juggernaut1981
02-21-2010, 05:43 PM
@RedRobes: The Thumbnail Scraper doesn't seem to be picking up my updates. Can you check it? I have changed the background for the image and it does look significantly different in the new version.

Redrobes
02-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Put your image in as an attached thumbnail type and it will be ok. If you inline the image like some of the posts then the scraper will ignore them. At present it would do the image in post #50. Pop your latest on in using that format instead.

Redrobes
02-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Apologies there was a bug in the script. The page layout has changed since the recent revamp. It didnt like the multi page entry sets. Its all fixed now. I am seeing your latest entry now. Might need a ctrl F5 refresh etc.

Immolate
02-27-2010, 12:06 PM
One of your best efforts Jugger. The only thing I can see that might improve the overall effect is to desaturate the stains a bit, and perhaps experiment with opacity and blend modes a bit to make the stains interact more with the underlying paper. I know well how tricky that can be. Still an excellent project as is.

titou01200
06-09-2013, 01:14 AM
very good thank you