PDA

View Full Version : A big dragon axe

loogie
02-04-2010, 03:11 AM
well i was bored, and playing around with inkscape.

i've yet to add legs and arms, and i still want to throw in a bunch of detail, but i was wondering what you guys think.

ravells
02-04-2010, 06:21 AM
I like the concept of the wings as axe-blades. Keep going!

Steel General
02-04-2010, 07:33 AM
I agree, this is a great start.

loogie
02-04-2010, 11:28 AM
It looks ok, but still doesn't portray the right perception i believe... basically the dragon should be "sitting" on top of the axe's pole, with its wings spread in a curving arc in frong of him (picture reaching out to give someone a hug... hahah thats the easiest way to picture it) so the wings you see are basically the back of the wing as it curves to face you... obviously it wouldn't actually curve, since its an axe, but i believe it have the most useable axe shape... if i could find a way to better explain that pose, that would be cool... also i'm not happy with the head... the head is actually leaning back and blasting into the air, so what you see is the underside of his mouth... i need a good way to illustrate this fact, as is it looks like it should be the "face" of the dragon...

For functionality, i believe this axe would have the same image on both sides, instead of a "top half" with the face of the dragon and "bottom half" with the underside... this would allow the axe to stay thin, and functional as an axe.

Notsonoble
02-04-2010, 06:15 PM
I like it, I like it a lot, enough to ask a question... can I talk you into taking a shot at some holy symbols in inkscape?

loogie
02-04-2010, 08:15 PM
i could be persuaded... are we talking come up with my own? or do you have designs your looking at you want made more real?

Notsonoble
02-04-2010, 08:52 PM
some of both... I have 3 done-ish... but could use some serious improvements, and I have a few text descriptions only...

The first is Galiel, very Heronious-sh... a shield with a sunburst... the second is Sarcuborossa (Sara Silvereye) eye of a silver dragon, the third is kalvaro, a flute over a dagger...

I gave up on Mierahlith, an owl's face over a book (except for one group of barbarians, in which the owl is screaming and no book)

I also still have the original inkscape .svgs but it wouldn't let me upload them.

Sharpe
02-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Cool concept! I don't think I've seen that done before.

loogie
02-04-2010, 09:40 PM
i'll see what i can do.. but yeah its cool. I try to stay away from gradients, for shading, i hope thats alright, i feel since vectors look pretty cartoonish, doing sort of blocky gradient shading works well.

Notsonoble
02-04-2010, 09:45 PM
http://vectortuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/tuts/17_Shiny_Coffee/result.jpg <-- done in inkscape... not sure I'd call it cartoonish... out of my league sure...

loogie
02-05-2010, 02:15 AM
i know this doesn't quite fit in :P but i made anothe weapon, a simple sickle.

Ascension
02-05-2010, 06:58 PM
With a skull-aerator. I know my enemies always like it when I ventilate their skulls cuz fighting can work up a good sweat so I try to help them out a bit by poking some holes in their skulls for them. They will usually just lay right down and relax after that and since they're sleeping I just go on about my merry way.

su_liam
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Well ain't that nice. What with them bein' all tired an' sweaty, I know they ain't gonna be wantin' to carry all that heavy gold aroun' either. So... I kindly relieve them of that load.

Ascension
02-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh, of course. But then, we're both very polite and considerate. Having all of that gold just makes them mean and paranoid anyway, so we try to lessen their load and help them become more philosophical about the whole having/not-having thing.

ravells
02-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Hey wait! What happened to the rest of the dragon axe? I want to see it completed in all its glory!

rdanhenry
02-06-2010, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't sweat functionality. Double-bladed axes are ceremonial items in real life. So it can either be heavy or you've already gone into fantasy-weapon realm and might as well feel free and unrestricted by reality.

loogie
02-06-2010, 04:16 PM
come on. haven't you realized by now i never finish anything! :P

I have my axe on my laptop so i was doing other things on my pc...

originally the sickle was going to be the dagger/flute symbol.. but it looked too good like that to make it more dagger like

hey.. what about a dagger-flute? as in a dagger that has a flute in it? that'd be a cool item for followers of that god or whatever