PDA

View Full Version : February Entry: the Necromancer's Lair

Gamerprinter
02-05-2010, 02:08 AM
So bored with making old west maps, I needed something to simulate my imagination, so I thought I'd give this one a try - at least to get an entry made for the "other One Page Map Contest".

This is the Necromancer's Lair - at least the start of it. I decided to begin with a sacraficial altar, the mouth of the skull is a pit to ??? This is just the top of the altar, I plan to do more, just haven't figured out how I want to make it yet. But this is a good start.

I know, no walls and chambers, I haven't decided that either, however I knew I wanted an altar.

Rather than my normal "scribble" drawing, I decided to try to be a bit more refined.

For those who can't tell, I started with a hand-drawing, scanned and imported to Xara Xtreme 4.0, then I created the beveled shapes with the cloudy color and drop shadows placed underneath the drawing.

Now I have think about what I'll do next...

GP

mearrin69
02-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Hmmm. Shouldn't there be a sphere of annihilation in that mouth? :) Nice looking start.
M

Gamerprinter
02-05-2010, 04:55 AM
OK, only need to add stairs and the altar will be complete. I thought adding the hand-drawn skeletal dragons surrounding the skull altar was a good fit. I googled me a triceratops skeleton, but could only find a side view. So referencing that, I turned the skeleton into a top view in my mind's eye and hand-drew the figure that way.

Granted Triceratops body doesn't fit - I just needed reference to what the bones looked like, then extended and narrowed the shape to a dragons.

Moving right along! 8)

GP

PS: looks like I need to realign the drawing to the base, I'll do it when I put in the stairs.

Gamerprinter
02-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Realigned the base drawing to the base. Added stairs. Done with the main altar.

Good Night!

GP

ravells
02-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Great to see you back in the challenge saddle GP!

Steel General
02-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Looking good so far.

Gamerprinter
02-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Calling this the Skull Chapel. Still no walls, but still more thinking to do regarding that. Threw in a moat of blood surrounding the altar itself.

Regarding the floor - I hate grids, they are distracting to the art of the map. While I understand their mechanical purpose, I always do my best to hide the grid whether through color choice or transparency. For this map, I'm experimenting. Rather than place a 5' grid, I decided to use the floor itself to describe the grid. Each flagstone and the mortar surrounding it, consists of five square feet. Thus the flagstones themselves are the grid.

Threw in some columns and stone sarcophagi - still more to do, but the chapel chamber is just about complete!

I see that everyone else seems to be making their dungeon fit in portrait mode (11" tall), I'm doing this landscape (11" wide), the chapel takes up about half the dungeon area - unless I reduce it to add more, but I think this is scale I'll be working with. Now the map is currently much larger than a page size, but I will reduce it to fit the landscape page, when I am complete.

Enjoy!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
02-06-2010, 06:03 AM
OK, not an update, but I was thinking that someone might be able to use my hand-draw and textured skeletal dragon, so I isolated that element from this map (pulled the shadows that I applied), and saved it as a PNG file at 200 ppi.

Enjoy!

GP

Coyotemax
02-06-2010, 06:58 AM
Nice map so far! and very generous of you to offer the dragon too! *snags for later*

Ascension
02-06-2010, 07:45 AM
In college we had a saying - what's your favorite kind of beer? Free beer. So I'm snaggin as well, thanks, bro.

Djekspek
02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
hehe, moving like a rocket as usual.. what can i say, i love your handdrawn stuff GP and i can already tell this will be an awesome dungeon ;)

Gamerprinter
02-07-2010, 07:36 AM
OK, update on the map so far. Its late (well early in the morning) got back from gaming a half hour ago and decided to put in some walls, and the backend of the room. I also decided to shrink the altar area much smaller in dimension - still each tile and mortar is 5 square feet. The black walls are placeholders for now, I plan to hand-draw the walls appropriate to the style with beveled shaped beneath and halo shadows, as usual. I still need to place doors, more stairs on either side of the chapel chamber. The Necromancer Lich resides in that large chamber towards the top right corner, while the chambers below are laboratory and library. I plan to place a chasm with bridge crossing, with switch back trail on opposing chasm wall leading up to more dungeon chambers, to the bottom of the map, then another crossing of the chasm to entry chambers at the start of the dungeon area. The bottom right will contain the title, key and other parts necessary for the One Page Dungeon Contest.

I've decided to make this necromancer really a lich, perhaps like a Mystic Theurge prestige class as both a wizard and a priest. As mentioned above his residence and "office" are is to the right of the Skull Chapel. The skull itself is the lich's phylactery. Within the Skull Chapel is the phylactery skull, guarded on either side by undead skeletal dragons, also the fourteen sarcophagi contains his undead guardians - including four Mummy's with levels in Priest and four Vampires with levels in Wizard (flanking either side of the altar). The six sarcophagi on the southern end of the chapel contain four skeletal warriors and two death knight black guard (center pair of sarcophagi). The open mouth of the skull phylactery is a portal to the Negative Energy Plane. If the lich (yet unnamed) is slain his spirit is whisked into the Skull. Agents will secure an appropriate humanoid bring to the skull altar and cast them into the mouth - draining their life energy until dead, at which point the Lich possesses the sacraficed humanoid and exits the mouth in a new undead body, until slain again.

Lots more to do, but the background story started to develop as I began setting up the over all layout of the entire page, with the resized chapel. I plan to place markers for traps later on.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

mrrkyl
02-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Looks like another work of art in progress!

Gamerprinter
02-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I think I"m about a third complete with this map. I still need to furnish the residential area east of the chapel. My canyon of blood is done as well. I need to make a necropolis area, trapped hallways, and the front area dungeons then the title block.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
02-07-2010, 09:15 PM
I love me some big ole pools o blood and this one's got a bloodfalls to boot...good stuff.

Gamerprinter
02-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Slight update, I added some detailing - created stairs between the Blood Canyon chamber and the Main Chapel itself, as well as a short stairway going from the chapel to the residential area. In case you can't tell, both stairs go upward from left to right. Made the doors kind of a golden color so they'll stand out against the grey and green background. Though I hate grids, I added a grid to the Blood Canyon Chamber.

If any of you recall my "Lair of Lhessadrak" map (which is now called the House of the Dead in the CWBP - in the south parts of the Beast Lands.) I'm going to build a webpage for this entry containing my detailed room key, random monster/traps charts, perhaps a couple new monsters, and stats for the Lich, Lhessadrak. I'm also going to post that old map to represent the structure over this dungeon and post it on that same page. This map in PDF format will have a direct link to that page - as per rules of the other "One Page Dungeon Contest".

The map will still contain simple key, with each chamber named and numbered - as well as number keys in each chamber - as per this challenge's rules.

This is probably it for tonight...

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
02-08-2010, 04:41 AM
OK, last update for the night. I decided to close up this part of the dungeon, considering it the Inner Sanctum. It will be accessed from the rest of the dungeon via an A-B Portal. Notice the magic circle at the base of the stairs in the Blood Canyon Chamber - this is the B Portal. Since this is a Lich's Lair, the portal is extra nasty to operate. If entering either portal and the person is evil it works automatically without mishap. If neutrally aligned the portal drains one life energy level (Fort DC 25) if saves portal does not activate. If a good being tries to cross, same DC check, but loss of two life energy levels to operate. This makes the adventurers most likely drained prior to entering the Inner Sanctum making it that much more damaging to those adventuring here.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
02-09-2010, 05:27 PM
OK, slowly, but surely, I added two more sections to the left of the previously mapped area to fill out the top half of the dungeon design. I have a small cave area containing the A portal to access the Inner Sanctum. Also a small maze like area, I'm calling "cold storage". I might throw in some ice and snow in the corners of the rooms with a few corpses and furnishings. Moving right along.

GP

Gamerprinter
02-09-2010, 09:54 PM
OK, I decided to knock out the Cold Storage area with all the intended objects - I have tables, cabinets, blood draining beds, surgical tool shelves, a blood bank, corpses in post mortem operating rooms, a "parts" room, and two failed experiments, as well as a corpse of a Celestial Deva (a recent prize acquisition!) An icy ream is present in several of the rooms to keep the goods from spoiling.

I plan to do this level of detail in the residence, library and lab on the far right side of the man (still to do yet.)

I started labeling the main sections, I think this will help make it easier when I finally get to designing the title block and map key.

Progress moving forward - about half done.

GP

Ghostman
02-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Does the red 'S' indicate a secret door? If so, what makes it useful? It seems that you can reach all the parts of that area without needing to discover that entrance.

Davros01
02-10-2010, 05:10 PM
A really nice dungeon!! Mine definitely looks like I'm outta my leaque in this competition :( I'll just have to cling to the hope that theres an underdog movement in the voting :) nice. very nice dungeon!

Ascension
02-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Well remember that we're not the only judges. Sure this starts as a guild-only challenge, and therefore probably the most visually stunning (aka artsy) wins, but if you're submitting yours to the actual sponsored competition then they have different judges and may see things differently, so therefore most functional might win. Who knows, shrug.

mearrin69
02-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Does the red 'S' indicate a secret door? If so, what makes it useful? It seems that you can reach all the parts of that area without needing to discover that entrance.

I'd guess it's there for a quick getaway if needed.
M

Gamerprinter
02-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes, as Mearrin69 says, its for a fast getaway, nothing more. I figure if the Lich or one of his underlings is pursued by the PCs from the previous area (yet to be determined - masoleum and under graveyard, I think), he could getaway and reach the Sanctum Portal before the PCs catch him...

And to Davros - last year when they ran the One Page Dungeon Contest, there was an overall winner, but 15 winners altogether in categories from "Old School", "New School", most eccentic, etc. - I think there were five different categories.

Last year, I couldn't think of a decent dungeon, so whipped out an Aboleth Cave in my photorealistic style and it wasn't even an honorable mention. I know they like Old School, so the closest I can accomodate is hand-drawn style. Since I didn't take it too seriously, last year, it showed. So this year, I am trying harder - further exploring my hand-drawn style.

Also, not sure, since there are several ISO maps in this contest, I don't think ISO is what they want, since last year's contest included a Word Document template which already included a grid and a key box area. This template isn't required this year - I asked. But a top down map is what I am pretty sure they are looking for.

Old School maps are their preference, so Ascensions and several others comply so may have a better chance to win than this map of mine. Oh well, I can't do what doesn't work for me. So I'm sticking with this style.

I believe there are five judges and they each have their own style and opinion.

Don't be afraid, everyone has a chance with the other contest!

GP

Gamerprinter
02-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Pretty frustrating, Xara crashed while I was saving this last night and I lost all of it! Luckily, one of the earlier JPGs at 300 dpi was nice and crisp, so I had about 2/3rds intact. Rather than start over, I imported the JPG into Xara, and redid some of what was lost - I changed a few things in the process, and have progressed a bit further. The tiled floor section at the bottom of the map, will be the entrance tunnel, which will serve as a necropolis of sorts with alcoves and attached rooms with various sarcophagi.

I finally detailed the library - working on the lab at the moment. I placed a trap in the hallway at the top, by the Lich's residential area (which I'm still not convinced what I'll do for that - liches don't sleep, so no need for a bed and other ammenties for the living.) I placed what I call the Undying Heart - something from an old Ravenloft adventure. The heart belonged to a giant and is made to unliving flesh. It beats creating pulses of negative energy which causes vile damage in 15' radius, thus anyone near the doors is getting hit. This serves as the last defense before the living enters Lhessadrak's quarters.

Thank God, I didn't have to start completely over, that might have killed this for me. (I really hate to do the same thing twice!)

GP

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
02-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Wow, that's rotten luck GP but at least you saved most of your work...I'd hate to see a map this pretty go down the drain. Looking great so far.

I totally agree with your comments about the off-site contest. If I wanted to enter that I'd definitely stick with a more old-school flavor and skip the ISO (unless you did it like the old Ravenloft maps) and photo-real stuff. I imagine some sort of clever modernization of the old TSR module maps would tickle the most fancies with the judges of this contest - though I do not know them or their preferences and might be totally off base with that line of thinking.
M

Gamerprinter
02-11-2010, 03:15 AM
I thought about doing this a couple days ago, and thought "Naw, that's crazy!", but I intended doing this anyway... which I hope to never do again... I created a complex boneyard - skulls, ribs, rib cages, jaw bones, hips, shoulders, backbones, vertibrae, whole legs, whole arms, bones, bones, bones.

Boy this was lots of work, both the drawing of it, then the color/bevels/shadows - what a pain in the butt. It does look good though.

Just need to add the walls around the boneyard, place walls and columns for the masoleum and the next section (titled: Boneyard) will be complete - I'd say 3/5ths done now??

First image below is the just the boneyard itself, saved as a PNG file (actually I may have not saved it in transparency format, if so I'll reupload later) - so anyone might use it. I plan on using it for any boneyard needs in the future (as I said, I don't want to try this again - ugh!) Next image is the map so far...

Edit: here's a link to the Transparent PNG version of the boneyard - uploaded a non transparent one, I did.

Boneyard transparent PNG file (http://www.gamer-printshop.com/kaidan/boneyard.png)

Enjoy!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
02-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Awesome bone pile. Snagged. Have to work that into a tabletop map for my Sunday game.
M

Gamerprinter
02-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Almost done! I need to throw in the grid in the Ghoul Tunnel and Boneyard, place all the missing doors, some floor detail in the Ghoul Tunnel and make the Title Block/Legend/Map Key - almost done...

Enjoy!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Djekspek
02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
thats a cool bunch o bones! .. the dungeon itself is getting pretty amazing too ;)

Gamerprinter
02-12-2010, 03:54 AM
OK, still a few more rooms and detail to throw in, but logistically I needed to see if all the information for my map key/legend would fit - and it does. That's what I did tonight. I might hand-draw the next couple rooms yet, but will post tomorrow.

The Map Key/Legend consists of all required data for the "other One Page Dungeon Contest" rules. Included is a numbered key that corresponds to the labels placed on the map with each location's designated title. A miniature outline of the dungeon map with the numbered keys placed. The legend includes the title, the artist's name, a link to the online source for the Creative Commons license, and a link (yet to be created) to a website containing the entire adventure (though the rules allow posting random monsters, etc. on a online source) - so I'm stretching that to include an entire Pathfinder RPG adventure for a party of four 18th level PCs (a high level adventure.)

I added my Compass Rose from my December Challenge Entry because it works.

Still left to do:

1. Build a gate house at location #2 with a double set of iron doors in front and a portcullis inside. Note the trap placed here, poisoned cross bow bolts shoot from the walls.

2. Long hallway in front of the gate house, will contain a rotisserie crossbow machine operated by an intelligent undead minion that will fire 3 poisoned crossbow shots through the portcullis at the trapped PCs. Also a second minion with a Wand of Magic Missles will be firing at the PCs too. (Though minions won't be placed only the rotisserie crossbow machine.)

3. Detailed stepped flooring in the Ghoul Tunnel (location #3)

4. Replace the sarcophagus in the Masoleum (location #5) with one that depicts a woman warrior (Lhessadrak's wife in life).

5. Create the interior of the Laboratory (location #11) - already know what I plan to do...

6. Create the interior of Lhessadrak's Residence (location #14) - already know what I plan to do...

When the list is complete, only one thing to do - create the adventure and post on my site, as well as the same in PDF format linked and downloadable from my site.

Almost done!

I see an error in the legend - secret door (will fix).

Enjoy!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
02-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Beautifully done as always GP, and it has that trademark GP hatching to it. My only (minor) crit is that the grouting on the flagstones is huge compared to the scale of the figures, but that might be an artistic / visibility thing.

Gamerprinter
02-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Ravs, its my way of placing a 5 foot grid in the form of square tiles - it simulates the gird without placing one. I hate grids, I only placed them in cavern areas with no floor tiles.

GP

Steel General
02-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Neat stuff GP!

If I'm not mistaken you've used the name Lhessadrak before.

Gamerprinter
02-12-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm going to reference my previous Lhessadrak map as the structure above this dungeon and post both maps on my website as addendum information for this map and contest (other contest).

GP

Gamerprinter
02-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Finally finshed this map - everything is done!

I am currently burning the PDF file with those web links at the bottom of the legend active to point to the license and dungeon errata (which I will create tonight.) This has been a bear of a map and a real time consumer - considering how fast I usually like creating any of my maps - few hours at most usually. I'd say this map has taken me upwards towards 20 hours to do - all the fine detailing in hand-drawn style (not to mention that boneyard!)

I'll post the PDF later so you can see the final version for the other contest with the working links.

No touch up to do, this is definitely over.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
02-12-2010, 10:55 PM
So I created a PDF of my entry as my final format for the other One Page Dungeon Contest, so I could place actual links to the license and my website for an intended whole Pathfinder adventure including random monsters, specific monsters, specific traps, NPCs etc. However while the link is active the page it points to is not - hopefully I'll get it up by the end of the weekend.

Anyway, I posted it as a link to download them map, but made it a 300 ppi PDF file, which makes it 13.8 MB in size - too big to upload here. I did it as 300 dpi, as that's professional PDF resolution, and the details are so small, if I didn't they would blur out.

Here's the link: Necromancer Crypt Map PDF (http://www.gamer-printshop.com/opdc/necromancer-crypt.pdf)

Sometime next week, check out that link and see the mini adventure set to this map!

GP

PS: I printed it out at 8.5 x 11 to see how readable it is, and though the text is smallish, about 8.5 points in size, still very readable - so the final works for me!

Gamerprinter
02-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Just for extra fun, I currently building the website for the adventure linked to the map PDF (it will take a few days, so I won't post a link yet), however I needed an illustration of Lhessadrak the Undying Pontiff, so I created this image (which is on Lhessadrak's bio page of the site.) The website will be just a directory under Gamer-Printshop.com.

Enjoy!

GP

Juggernaut1981
02-14-2010, 06:52 PM
So that's what happened to John Paul II!
Not meaning to offend any Catholics out there, but seriously that was the first thought I had about Lhessadrak...

Gamerprinter
02-15-2010, 03:38 AM
Sadly, there' a reason that image of Lhessadrak reminds you of Pope John Paul II, I am sorry to say (don't send me hate mail), I needed a photo of a pope with his miter (hat) for reference, so I googled "Pope pics" and guess who I found... a photo of Pope John Paul II. The pose is his, as well as the outfit (altered decoration), but the head and hands are ficticious lich parts - the photo just worked! :P

So am I going overboard (nothing unusual there), I'm about a fourth of the way through creating the Adventure on its website. I don't intend to publish (well not officially anyway.) I thought I'd offer this as a FREE adventure for anyone to use - as part of the contest, and afterwards as a free adventure...

Here's my "cover design" for the adventure!

Enjoy!

GP

Gamerprinter
02-17-2010, 12:56 AM
So the adventure / traps, random monsters and more is almost complete. the Inner Sanctum: Residential area with trap and undying heart on top right of map, the library and laboratory, and the Blood Canyon is all I have left to create content for, but the Skull Chapel and all other areas of the dungeon have content (needs tweaked and added to) are mostly done. Even set up content from the old Lhessadrak map, a intro, and some background stuff - all complete.

Since this isn't officially part of the CG's challenge, rather for the Other Contest, I'd appreciate any critiques and suggestions.

Here's the link to the adventure website: http://www.gamer-printshop.com/opdc/necromancer.html

Also note this is above and beyond the Other Contest's required rules, but not completely unauthorized. I want to offer it as a free dungeon adventure and will leave it online permantly (??).

Any of you human spellcheck/gramatical or even game mechanics gurus out there want to take a look. Its no professional adventure, just something I whipped up, due to lack time for other projects, but I'd like to make a bit more perfected if possible.

Suggestions?

GP

Immolate
02-27-2010, 01:31 PM
It may not be obvious to anyone with eyesight, but your unique style was a big inspiration for me in this month's contest GP. I took to heart the idea that it is pleasing to see something drawn that is not photo-realistic, and obviously "real". It makes your project both more accessible and unpretentious, while at the same time obviously still something that is beyond the ability of anyone not an seasoned expert. Well done sir.