PDA

View Full Version : Sodom and Gomorrah, an alternate cartographical history

Will
02-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Hello all.

This is the first time I'm posting a work in progress; I'm looking forward to hearing all of your good ideas! This is/will be a map of the Pentapolis, a.k.a. the Five Cities of the Plain, the most famous of which are named Sodom and Gomorrah...

So far, I've banged out the landmass... what do we think?

NeonKnight
02-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I am interested in seeing this. Please continue.

Will
02-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Slight computer problem momentarily crippled my rig... will continue ASAP.

Will
02-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Okay, mountains, rivers, and settlements in...

Larb
02-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I like the mountains, they go well with the rest of the colour palette. Your "wave" lines in the sea end up a bit straight and square the further out they go which I think doesn't look so good. I'm assuming you used something like selection -> modify -> contract and then stroked it (or expanded it if you did it the opposite way). If you want to make it look less straight/squareish, you can smooth the selection after you contract it each time. This is in photoshop though and you might not be using that!

Will
02-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't mind the geometrical shapes on this map, actually. I have a book of reference maps from 1895, and they all do the same thing, long before photoshop... But I appreciate the smoothing suggestion... I'll have to try it!

arsheesh
02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey what a cool concept for a map. May I ask, do you have some intended purpose in mind for it (e.g. class presentation, Bible study teaching aid, or antediluvian based campaign)?

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Will
02-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm a writer, and I'm working on a fantasy novel from the perspective of the Sodomites and Gomorrans. :)

arsheesh
02-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Very intriguing, keep us abreast, I know I'd sure be interested in reading that.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Stormcrowe
02-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Looks like an interesting project. I love the colors for this map...good detail on the mountains and....got a close look at the cities...how did you get that look from them? I like that!

Ascension
02-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Those Pasis mtns really look great with that parchment color underneath.

Will
02-07-2010, 11:55 PM
got a close look at the cities...how did you get that look from them? I like that!

Glad you're likin' it so far. The cities and mountains are from a tutorial I found on this forum a while ago by pasis. A search should turn up the particular tut. I dig how you can make mini city maps within the larger map. Good luck mapping!

Will
02-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Those Pasis mtns really look great with that parchment color underneath.

Yeah! I'm not sure how successful the blend of faux hand-drawn and clearly photoshopped elements is going to be, but I'm trying it!

su_liam
02-08-2010, 02:19 AM
Yeah! I'm not sure how successful the blend of faux hand-drawn and clearly photoshopped elements is going to be, but I'm trying it!

If you are working with photoshop and have the mountains in their own layer, you can probably apply something from one of the Artistic or Brush Strokes filters for a good effect. The example was created quickly by applying Filter>Brush Strokes>Angled Strokes to part of your image. Ink Outlines and Sprayed Strokes worked well, too. You need to fiddle a bit with settings to get a good look, but it could be worth it.

Not stealin' your thunder, here. The image is yours, and I only use it to illustrate an effect. I would not use your imagery without permission for any other purpose.

Will
02-08-2010, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the tip(s). I'll be seeing what those filters can do for me right now!

Will
02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
So, here she is as of right now... all she needs is labeling, and possibly some tweaking with the forest layer. What do we think so far, fellow guildmembers?

Will
02-11-2010, 02:40 PM
So, here's the lazy version of the map. Still not happy with the forests, but I do like the font I stumbled upon. What do we think? It's meant to evoke a cross between ancient Canaan and medieval France...

rafaelrzacharias
02-11-2010, 03:00 PM
This is looking good so far.. nice choice for the colors palette, but in my opinion, mountains are looking a little bit smudged, like a mosaic.. got it?
Trying to sharp them a bit would be intresting..

Anyway, keep going, it's turning out pretty good! ^^

Will
02-11-2010, 03:01 PM
mountains are looking a little bit smudged, like a mosaic.. got it?
Trying to sharp them a bit would be intresting..

I was going for a painted-looking style... I'll have to think about what to do.