PDA

View Full Version : February Entry: Rotating Madness

Djekspek
02-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Heya, finally got a silly idea for a dungeon. Not gonne do a 3d-ish arty thingie but trying to do something functional that more looks like a map ;) The idea is a changing dungeon, not by magic but by some mechanical mechanism. Every round (or something) the dungeon (divided in 3 discs) will rotate 45 degrees in opposite directions. So for the DM he better use scissors and a needle to create a little model to keep track of the current shape of the dungeon ;) .. as for the players, i'd like to see them get in and out to grab the treasure.. let alone map this :D ... not sure if this set-up is too complicated or just plain easy, would have to try it but not running a campaign currently so I guess it will not be trialled extensively ... After each turn the players will be a little dizzy. Direction sense (or a compass if they have one) may give away some clues. Also watching how the doors shift when they "open" and "close" may give away some info... Story/Hook to be invented yet ... also have to experiment with printability .... anyway, here's the 1st thing i made...

DevinNight
02-08-2010, 08:33 PM
This is a really clever idea. I like it and might find a way to put this idea into my campaign.
Nice job.

PlumCrazy
02-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Very clever...reminds me of "The House That Jack Built " from the Avengers.

Coyotemax
02-08-2010, 09:44 PM
magnetize the center, or outer wall, and mess up the compass? :)

mearrin69
02-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Hmm, the character I've just created is a Pathfinder and has a compass...alas that only amounts to +2 on survival checks. :)

Great idea and it's looking great already. As much as I love the look of your natural caverns it seems that someone that went to the trouble to build all of this would have wanted nicely worked walls too...unless specifically didn't, in which case it might make good backstory. What about teleports? It needs teleports too! :)

I can see something like this on Mechanus. Except there'd be a very precise order to its functioning (and those rough walls would never do, not at all). Oh, and, there'd be many, many of these rotating thingies all next to each other and interconnected. Populated by Modrons who'd be very mad about intruders (or Formians if you're a 3E Planescaper...in which case maybe rough walls are okay, as long as the corridors are orderly). Loves me some Lawful wickedness.
M

Juggernaut1981
02-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Djek> Simple. All you need is a nice big lump of iron in there somewhere... like the central pivot that the floor is rotating around... that would result in the compass ALWAYS pointing to the centre... further disorienting them.

Map Vandal
02-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I love it! This is another great map. I know this is a single sheet of paper challenge but it would be amazing if you could animate it to rotate?

Steel General
02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Neat idea, looking forward to seeing where you take it.

Djekspek
02-12-2010, 07:21 AM
hi all, I added some more stuff (good idea Mearrin on the rooms making them a little more man-made and thanks Jugg & Coyote for the tips making the compass useless) and think am nearly done.... maybe i'll remove the items (crates, etc.) as i'm not sure this is all very printable... as for making a real rotating version, i could do that in flash something but i'm afraid i'd have to brush up too much on my flash/programming skills ;) ... cheers!

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Pro! Very nice work.
M

Steel General
02-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Very cool idea and nicely brought to "life".

arsheesh
02-12-2010, 11:47 AM
That is just too cool for words Djekpek. What a novel and exciting concept for a dungeon! Kudos for creativity. Oh, and have some rep as well.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

torstan
02-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Looks great! I guess you've spotted this and taken it into account - the relative movement of 45 degrees per slice mean that some passageways will never line up with others. So you can't get from 12 to 14. You need to go to 13 first. That's very neat. Of course you could drop these into maptool as separate layers on the map and rotate them very easily. That would look very cool indeed.

I'd suggest that you don't split the text over the top of the map. The last couple of sentences are really hard to read.

Otherwise, this looks great. Good work.

jfrazierjr
02-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Looks great! I guess you've spotted this and taken it into account - the relative movement of 45 degrees per slice mean that some passageways will never line up with others. So you can't get from 12 to 14. You need to go to 13 first. That's very neat. Of course you could drop these into maptool as separate layers on the map and rotate them very easily. That would look very cool indeed.

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing Torstan. Really screw with my players heads... I assume that with a bit of macro magic, I could probably automate the movement also down to a single button click.

torstan
02-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Absolutely. The one thing that wouldn't move would be the VBL which is a pain.

rdanhenry
02-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Well, this contest is requiring a lot of text. A chance to exercise my editorial muscles!

In the intro text: "heared" should be "heard".

In the Objective: move the comma from in front of "alive" to in front of "and".

In Encounters: the undead hunters should "dwell in" or "inhabit", not just "dwell"
Correct "resteless" to "restless"

In Notes: commas should follow the phrases "Every five minutes" and "In the center of the crypt"

In Map Key: "described" should be "describe"
Also in the Library, you have a double period. Should be one dot for a period or three for ellipsis.
In 11, "after dead" isn't strictly wrong, but "after death" would be standard.
"Afterlife" is normally a single word, but I rather like the hyphenation. However, if you do it in one place, you should do it every time.
"Price room" should probably be "Prize room". "Trophys" should be "trophies". The sentence here is ungrammatical. I suggest "Room filled with trophies collected by Luan during his lifetime." Which is still a sentence fragment, but a grammatical phase acceptable to save space.
#14: Replace double period with ellipsis (three dots) or comma. The "And" beginning the next sentence should be removed (and "of course" should be set off by a comma).
You should also standardize punctuation. You have some room names separated from descriptions with a period, others by a colon. Either is fine, but you should stick with one. Also, for consistency, I would place a period after even single word room descriptions such as "Storage".

You'd probably have picked up on most of these upon review, but it's much harder to proofread your own work.

I really like the concept, and other than the technical corrections I've noted above, you have created some fine descriptive text. I expect several parties of a adventurers will be encountering this crypt in the near future.

ravells
02-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Really clever! great work and beautifully done.

Djekspek
02-13-2010, 06:30 AM
thanks guys (especially rdanhenry for the textual comments, my native language is not english so it's really appreciated you took a look at it ;) ). Changed some text and corrected some minor flaws. I attached the jpg and the pdf files. cheers!

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
02-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Really, really nice map. Oh, and, your English is probably better than mine and a heck of a lot better than my Dutch! :)
M

Jaxilon
02-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Another nicely thought out entry. Somewhere in my old files I have a room that rotates and thus provides new passages to explore but this takes it to another level.

If you combined this with an ocean tide that would flood some of the chambers periodically it would increase the stress levels of your players as not only would they need to figure out the dungeon but they would also be up against the clock.

Now, my wanting to do this to my friends probably shows some level of diabolic thinking but hey, my goal is to make them sweat bullets. :) Would also make for some kind of horrific moment when they came to a pile of moist bodies in the middle of the corridor just the other side of a barely decipherable line in the floor. At least until they figured it out they would be wondering what a pile of wet corpses means.

Muahaha, sounds so very fun

Juggernaut1981
02-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Jax> As a GM, I'd be suggesting that you have one of the rooms trapped to open a water-source somewhere ELSE in the maze that will basically slowly start filling rooms (depending on the rotation: a room that was getting water in it before, isn't now, but that room is also releasing water somewhere else in the map, and so on...)

Zar Peter
02-20-2010, 06:00 PM
This is absolutely great work. I'm tempted to make up an adventure just to fit this in.

One little nitpick: I miss room Nr. 9. Is it left out intentionaly (space) or forgotten?

Aegeri
02-23-2010, 04:32 AM
This is a really awesome idea. Would it be possible as well as the final map there to have one of the central part of the map without numbers? I've definitely got to use this in my game it's that great a concept.

Al. I. Cuza
02-23-2010, 06:43 AM
This is some sweet idea! And you make it look so easy... Cheers!

Djekspek
02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
hi, thanks for pointing out the missing room 9. updated ;) I'll post a version without the numbers in a new post without the WIP tag for those who wanne play around with the map. (tbh I didnt testdrive it so I am very curious how it works out in real-play ;) cheers

### Latest WIP ###

Djekspek
02-24-2010, 03:12 PM
a version not intended for the entry (without the numbers in the map).

Larcifer
02-25-2010, 06:35 AM
New poster here. I was playing with this printed it to see how it worked. I want to make a 3d (insulation foam model) to use in a game. I have a few nit picks (THIS THING IS AWESOME BTW. The corrodors are too small for minis and a 1 inch base. Also for us who want to us ethis in a game, can u take the trap symbols off as well. Also room 12 is the only cay to the core, or am I missing something...
Thanks for doing this, this map rocks!!!

Immolate
02-27-2010, 12:12 PM
I wish I could swim in your end of the pool Djekspek, but it's too deep over there. Once again you prove yourself a master of style.

anstett
09-13-2013, 11:06 PM
So a million years ago Djekspek was kind enough to provide me with a copy of this excellent map without numbers or grid.

I used a very simple mask to chop up the map into the three separate rings and then used them in my VTT (Klooge) and ran it as an adventure recently.

Dragonslayers Society | Main / Athenĉum (http://www.dragonslayers-society.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Athen%e6um)

It was a great time by all and it greatly confused the players while they were stumbling through room after room.

Thank you again for providing such excellent resources.

BOB

Master TMO
09-13-2013, 11:24 PM
I played Ilero, the scout/rogue with the horrible accent. I figured out what was going on pretty quickly, but that didn't help me any in making my way through it. Ilero wasn't trying to map it, so I pretty much had to just pick hallways at random until I lucked onto something. I think the total damage was that it took him 3 to 3.5 hours to make his way to the center, and the only reason it wasn't another hour to get back out was that the mage who'd foolishly followed him in had a Dimension Door spell to get us back to the surface.

It looks like the difficulty level was set much lower for us, which was a good thing. We weren't fully equipped for a foray into a deadly dungeon.

It was a fun time! Thanks for providing this!