PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Lair Battle Map

Aval Penworth
02-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Nothin' like a little skirmish at close quarters. And you just know someone is going to get pushed into that slimy cesspool.

moutarde
02-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Very nicely done, especially the stream. The water in it looks really great! Though I have some suggestions for you ;) The ground texture feels a little overpowering, it would probably look better if you turned down the opacity on that a little. The other thing, is I would love to see that cesspool looking really hideous! :D Some kind of shiny sludge or something on top it - you could probably find a way to use your water technique on the cesspool to make it really stand out ;)

Aval Penworth
02-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Points well taken. Thanks for the feedback.

Meridius
02-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Hmm, I agree with moutarde on the ground texture, but I feel the 'wall texture' is a bit too soft to represent rock. Perhaps the Goblin 'bedrooms' could use a bit more 'furnishing'... perhaps some dried grass for a mattress? Splotch about some dirt on the gound. I don't know about your Goblins, but mine don't exactly care for hygiene... :P

Otherwise nice battlemap! Something about battlemaps seems so very hard to me when I look at them.

Aval Penworth
02-10-2010, 10:06 AM
What techniques would you suggest to achieve this?:idea:

ravells
02-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Don't know what software you're using, Aval, but for the rock, I'd suggest going to a texture site like mayang and downloading something and making it tile - you could try just having a rock border around the rooms rather than the whole space with the rock texture. Dunjinni has some great png symbols you could download for the furnishings.

Meridius
02-10-2010, 12:36 PM
What techniques would you suggest to achieve this?:idea:

Basically what ravells said. If you ever see a texture that you can use... store it. My personal texture folder is still quite small, but when I see something I think I can use, I take it. Right now you're 'drawing' with colours, but like you applied a texture to the ground, you can also do so to the cave-walls, and you can use a 'dirt' texture, but for dirt you could also use a messy brush, and throw in some nasty looking colours until you are satisfied. Experiment, another good thing is to follow some of the tutorials here which focus on textures. :)

Aval Penworth
02-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I used photoshop with symbols borrowed from Profantasy DD3. I'll look at downloading some other programs this week.

Thanks guys.