PDA

View Full Version : Old Atlas Map

Djekspek
02-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Making an atlas style map was still in the back of my head for some time so i've been messing around a bit with some photoshop brushes to see if i could get some semi-realistic terrain effect (creating a b/w heightmap). After that I put on some colors and rivers and weathered it with a bunch of textures. It came out a bit tear-style (not saying that it's no where near his quality stuff). cheers!

Ghostman
02-14-2010, 12:57 PM
The map has a nice hand-painted look, although it's slightly diminished by the glow around the coasts; I'd imagine an actual oilpaint to result in overall darker-colored water and at lesser contrast to the land.

Ascension
02-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I like it, looks good. How you did the aging has me stumped...I can usually see those sorts of things.

Djekspek
02-14-2010, 04:00 PM
For aging effect I used 3 different (basically random) grunge textures (i think i got them from a photoshop magazine CD) in overlay layers. One on the land, a different one on the sea and one over all layers. Also a parchment texture was used as background. Together they give a random grungy look. Without the textures (so only the things i drew myself ;) ) it would look like this:

guyanonymous
02-14-2010, 04:17 PM
I love the effect! I hope to see a tutorial sometime!

arsheesh
02-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Looks really nice Djekspek, like your style.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh.

TheMarcus7
02-14-2010, 11:32 PM
I like it, I particularly like your use of color. Rated and repped.