PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Style Map Experiment

Djekspek
02-14-2010, 06:13 PM
hmm, starting another WIP... should be working on my Nyrhizmen vally map but got distracted with atlas style mapping :P ... I did a quick trial (posted it in the finished thread) and now trying to make something bigger... (why do i always start out big, why not start something small ...) anyway, really wanne learn how to do some kind of cool semi-real atlas style map and got inspired by the masters of that genre Pasis, Tear and Ascension. I'll be grabbing parts n pieces from their tuts and try to come up with something my own... Here's the first experiments. ... most time spend on painting the bumpmap for the mountains, experimening with different brushes trying to create natural yet fantasy-ish mountains... curious where this will end ... cheers!

moutarde
02-14-2010, 08:44 PM
You have way too much talent for your own good! Every time you post I want to rep you for it ;) And you've barely even started this one! Those mountains look ridiculously good so far.

Ascension
02-14-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't think you really need any tips from any of us :) You're doing just fine so far. This looks a lot like the (Dragon Age) Thedas map in terms of style.

Steel General
02-15-2010, 07:58 AM
A little to orange-y for my tastes, but looking good so far.

Djekspek
02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
hehe thanks guys. The orange was the 'base color' and to be detailled with the actual color but used to see how the bumpmaps look before coloring. And Ascension, I really still learn a lot from you guys (not even counting inspiration as it was your and Pasis maps that made me wanne draw maps and torstan made me wanne do 3d-ish maps...) ... and indeed, the Thedas map is one of the maps I use for inspiration for this one, so keen eye on spotting that ;) (in my opinion it's just one of the coolest maps around...). Anyway, another update, did some more mountain ranges and started experimenting with labels. long way to go but I'm getting faster bit by bit ... I keep drawing bumpmaps for the mountains (detailling in several passes) and use a "front-back color swapping splatterish brush" of PS to get the terrain colors blended in on the bumpmap... the southern mountains were my 1st try and will be replaced by better ones ;) ... cheers!

Gandwarf
02-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I like the latest version a lot. Consider me a fan of yours ;)

Shugar
02-15-2010, 11:27 PM
The final map looks exceptional.

LonewandererD
02-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Whoa, how did you do your mountains, they're great. They're the kid of mountains that you know are mountains without them being to in your face about it, if that makes sense.

I'll rep if i can, and I'll try to rep again if you can share your secrets.

-D-

Sapiento
02-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Great map!

Steel General
02-16-2010, 09:15 AM
The color scheme reminds me a bit of the "Wheel of Time" maps...this is progressing quite nicely.

su_liam
02-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Nice map you got there... BTW, Provence is a part of France. It's probably French for province.

Djekspek
02-17-2010, 07:42 PM
More details in the landscape and more labels. Not yet happy with overal colors (too uniform) and the northern part. Also not sure yet about the label font.. The parchment thing was an experiment and am not sure if its too distracting so may change that as well... @LoneWandererD: As for the mountains I'm still experimenting with those. Basically I'm making a B/W bumpmap (using 50% opacity and flow I'm starting with a big brush and then going over and over again with tiny-lines for the details, with a lot of zooming in and out to see if the shapes are making sense... one range can take up to 30-60 minutes like this so I guess It's not very efficient though ... :P). After that I put on the colors using the photoshop standard brush that switches front/back colors using different pairs of colors depending on the height (also zooming in/out and replacing/painting untill the color start to look like mountains) ... So basically its tweaking and tweaking until i get it to look sortof like i want it ... anyway another update. cheers!

Diamond
02-17-2010, 09:43 PM
You know, I think those might be the best looking mountains I've ever seen.

Coyotemax
02-18-2010, 02:16 AM
darn fine work as always :)

arsheesh
02-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Gotta hand it to ya Dj, this is some mighty fine work. I for one, love the contrast between the hues of orange and blue-green. Tried to rep you, but apparently I've already done so recently. Course I guess that's just a testament to the quality of work you do.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Djekspek
02-19-2010, 07:53 AM
guess it's done (as far one can finish a map). last version posted in finished maps. cheers