PDA

View Full Version : Duchy of Galbrin

Larb
02-15-2010, 06:21 PM
A lot of inspiration from that Vaniya map, which I found to be very pretty. This map is not the usual style I go for though so a lot of this is quite new to me.

I would like to add more colour and I have political boundries to add. I'm also not sure how to progress from here. Do I go with basic circles to represent cities and keeps, or do I use actual icons of towers and things? I dunno.

Ascension
02-17-2010, 06:06 PM
I like the subtle coloring you have right now...I see some green and brown. If you wanted to add some color then I'd put in some lakes and then you can have some blue. As for cities it's up to you really. Ramah has some little keeps n stuff for use as brushes so if you can't draw your own you can borrow his. I think dots put the emphasis on the terrain or story or other parts of a map while stylized drawings help to capture the imagination. So you choose, can't go wrong either way really.

Djekspek
02-17-2010, 07:52 PM
a pretty cool looking map. personally i'd go with small icons for the cities cause they match the style of the mountains and forest. but indeed it's all up to your own creativity. maybe try both and see what looks best :)

philipstephen
02-18-2010, 06:43 AM
looks great... very visually pleasing...

i think there might be a few river violations, where it is not clear which direction water is flowing as they join up all over the place.
someone wiser than me or more mentally alert might offer some suggestions as to how to keep your rivers flowing downhill from the mountains towards the ocean.. without branching off all over...

Larb
02-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did decide on icons in the end and it seems to look better. I might try dots as well but then I had a more atlas-y style version of this map I wanna do as well.

As for the rivers, they do all flow in the same direction, it's just hard to tell because this is a small section of a way way bigger map.