PDA

View Full Version : WIP- Shadow Crest - Westfall - Vaea

Najmir
02-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Over the past two weeks I have discovered CG and the wealth of information within. I have never really mapped before, aside from a few crappy hand drawn maps used when Gming. I have been using a variety of techniques at various scales. This one is my first city scale map and i think is currently close to 50% complete. I would be greatful for any comments.

I still have to add some dirt and barren patches as well as map out the farmsteads, wells, citadel, stone bridges etc, but i think it is at a stage where some outside input would be of great benefit.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Regards
Naj

Korash
02-16-2010, 11:42 PM
I looks good so far...but I MUST say something about those bridges.Most spans, if not all, are straight from first anchor point to the next.Both of then curve away from the direct line quite noticeably. As the map is a top-down view, they should be straight. If the map was viewed at an angle then I could say that the bridges were arched (and quite a bit at that) but from the rest of the map I would not say that is the case. In a top-down map, if you want to show an arched bridge, you would need to use a shadow to show that it is not flat.

Out of curiositywhat are you planning for that space just upper left from center?

Like I said before, I like so far. The river really stands out.

Najmir
02-17-2010, 01:19 AM
Thanks Korash. The entire road system is a 5 mins hand drawn job. Whilst most will stay that way for the unplanned effect, the ones over the water are just place holders for stone bridges and stone path that leads to the centre blank area. The centre area will house a dilapidated tower and broken down fortifications. This area is meant to represent a small unplanned community that has limited order in terms of town planning etc. From memory the roads may have even been there before I put the river in.

Originally I started this to test my buildings brush in GIMP and also a river technique that I thought of during a lunch break. The beauty of the brush is I can just select roads, expand and stroke selection to create all buildings. This brush is a demonstration of low density buildings. I am working on one for medium density and then high density.

I was happy with my tests so I decided to continue to work it up into a map for a campaign a m8 and i are running.

Katto
02-17-2010, 02:41 AM
I agree with Korash concerning the bridges. Also the hills seem to be flat in contrast to the riverbed.
Very good start and a really nice river.

Najmir
02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Here is Shadow Crest 1.8

I have finshed the Dirt Layer, Stone Paths and Bridges, Farm Lands

I have also done a little more with the contours and depth on the hills as suggested by Katto.

The next task is to work up the tower and fortifications near the centre of the map.

CC Please.

Korash
02-17-2010, 12:29 PM
OOOOO!! Me likey!!

That REALLY pops!

seeing as how you asked nicely ( :) ) I like the hights you created with the shadows, but if you are gonna put a fortress in that open space there I would suggest working a bit more to give it some more hight. Right now it looks like that area is on the same level as a bunch of houses, and I don't think that it would hurt at all having the fort on a "peak" of that hill. That would also give a bit of space for a killing zone for archers.

Nicely done. Repped ya for it too :)

Ascension
02-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Your cliffs look really nice and the colors are nice as well. I might lighten up or fade the pattern on the roads...looks sort of like chicken wire fencing. Otherwise, looks good.

Najmir
02-20-2010, 08:33 AM
I have worked on the Chiken wire so hopefully that is not standing out as much. I have also spent some time working up the tower and dilapidated fortifications.

The open area remaining south east fo the tower within the old walls, will be filled with houses that were built when the farming colony settled the abandoned tower area. As far as our story goes the Tower stands untouched by time. A small farming settlement moved in 150 years prior after finding it abandoned. I have treid to keep the tower crisp to reflect it resiliance where almost all about it has fallen to ruins.

Next up is to Add the final houses, add some finer details to trades buildings and then to add legend and markers for notable buildings.

Ascension
02-20-2010, 12:40 PM
That looks nice, a great sense of atmosphere and mood.

Steel General
02-21-2010, 11:23 AM
This is progressing quite nicely!

Najmir
02-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Well as far as the game is concerned this is the finished product with Title, Legend and Labels as well is the final houses.

I have looked and looked again and do not feel that there is anything missing. What does CG think?

I have also done a night version mucking around with some other effects.. Not that it is much use as a map.

Anyways I look forward to the feedback

Thanks a bunch

LonewandererD
02-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey nice, i was just mucking around with the idea of doing a night shot but couldn't get around having to do all the street lights.

Will rep if i can.

-D-

Najmir
02-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks

I originally had a whole heap more lights but I stripped them out because I doubted that a farming community would have an abundance of torches alight at night fall. So I just kept the lights around the Inn's, Watch House, Town Hall and the Bridges with a few in between.

The next map will be a region map or a high pop port city. Not sure what style to try.

Al. I. Cuza
02-22-2010, 11:45 AM
I would make the patterns of the plots for the farming land rather like a rectangular grid. In my opinion it would be more realistic.

Katto
02-23-2010, 02:32 AM
You've made a good progress in your WIP and I like the result very much. If you think it is finished you could move it over to the Finished Map section.

Najmir
02-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Good idea Katto. I have been umming and ahhing over whether I am happy with the border. I am debating over whether I should put in a formal border or keep it informal.

Al, thanks for the pont about the plots. Originally I had a bunch of sqaures and rectangles but it looked a little to formal.. As much as it is not realistic the non uniform mosaic tiles help to communicate the un-planned nature of this town.

The original/historical tower and fortifications have been kept sharp and clean where the houses, roads and farmlands are soft and relatively un structured.

Any thoughts on the border out there?

LonewandererD
02-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Personally I go with a pseudo formal border. Something thats looks slightly professional, or not even that, like a simple metal or wooden frame with maybe a few ornamental features (patterns, gems, etc) in the corners. I'd go for a more ornate/formal border if it were a larger map but i think using such a border here would distract from the actual map, but it is up to you.

-D-

Najmir
02-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks Lone.. I think I might work on something a little more formal for it and keep the frills to a minimum as you have suggested.