PDA

View Full Version : First free commissioned map

Davros01
02-17-2010, 04:37 PM
my first commissioned map.

Gandwarf
02-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks for sharing Davros! It looks pretty good I think. The symbols are a bit basic, but work well together.

One thing I noticed: to the north there's a cloud of smoke coming from a volcano/mountain. Some of the tree trunks seem to be on top of it.
Also, why did you use a different color for the mountains to the northwest?

Davros01
02-18-2010, 01:27 PM
thanks for pointing out the trees and the volcanos, i'll fix those. The symbol set was one he liked, and it does seem to work together i think. The mountains were specifiedt that they were grey. I enjoyed working on the map. Hopefully his group likes iit.

bartmoss
02-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Nice map. I think I may steal the name "Sunset Ocean" for one of my worlds, if you don't mind! - There are two weird rivers on the western peninsula, they seem to just "disappear" and go nowhere. Is this intentional? The river in the NE corner runs "through" a mountain - I am guessing this is an underground river?

Anyway! No biggie, but in case those are not intended, I thought I'd point them out. (polishes River Police badge.)

Davros01
02-18-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't have a problem with you using any of the names, but they really aren't mine, they are the guy i'm doing this for. But I don't think he would have a problem with it. Do all rivers have to end in lakes or at the oceans?? I went ahead and added lakes to the ends of them. I thought maybe they could just peter out. thx,

Marc

Scott Livingston
02-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Most rivers end in the sea, and probably over 99.9% end in a sea or lake (or another river). A few rivers do "peter out," for example the Okavango River (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okavango_Delta)in Africa. Apparently it used to end in a lake, but the lake dried up due to changing climate resulting in desertification. See this thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?3822-How-to-get-your-rivers-in-the-right-place)for some excellent river advice.

rdanhenry
02-21-2010, 10:33 PM
It's simple, but I like it. The one issue I saw that could use fixing is "Man's Road", where the "M" and "a" overlap.