PDA

View Full Version : *** Feb/March Lite Challenge: Mapping a Myth CLOSED ***

torstan
02-18-2010, 09:48 AM
This month's lite challenge returns to the classics. We want you to map a myth.

Many of the great stories that lie at the heart of our cultures involve amazing journeys or fantastic locations. It might be center of the minotaur's labyrinth, the journey of the Ramayana or even the battlefield of Ragnarok when the world serpent rises from the depths.

clearly state which myth you are illustrating
create a great map to go with it!

The deadline for this challenge will the 15th of March. Remember to precede all WIP images with:

### Latest WIP ###

so that the thumbnail scraper can pick them up. Good luck and happy mapping!

moutarde
02-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Sounds like a cool idea :) Does it have to be based on real myth, or could we do a map based on a fictional myth, if that myth were to be adequately explained through the map?

torstan
02-18-2010, 01:17 PM
I don't see any reason to force people to use real myths - though you will need to make sure the myth is properly explained.

Xyll
02-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Shaka, when the walls fell, "The beast at Tanagra"

sorry could not resist the star trek reference

thanks for the challange

Redrobes
02-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Isnt a real myth an oxymoron anyway ?

And: Temba, his arms wide !!

torstan
02-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Indeed it is :)

Coyotemax
02-18-2010, 04:40 PM
calling it a real myth can work. The myth itself may involve things that are not real, like a storybook may contain a story that's not real. The book itself is real though :)

aaah semantics. whee!

Sigurd
02-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Perhaps not always 'Real' but very often "True".

The wisdom of soloman - baby fought over by two 'mothers' - has helped lots of people and is commonly referred to.

They can certainly be more true than reality which tends to be filled with so many exceptions and corruptions.

"Fairy tales (and Myths) are more than true -- not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

- CG Chesterton

rdanhenry
02-21-2010, 02:13 PM
How exactly are you using the term "myth"? Properly speaking, a myth is a tale with religious significance. The legend of St. George and the Dragon is a myth, Snow White is not. The term also does not actually imply falsehood, so feel free to illustrate myths from your own faith, if any. So what I want is a ruling as to whether on proper myths are included, or any traditional legends and/or folk/fairy tales are included.

torstan
02-21-2010, 02:15 PM
I think any myth, tale or fable is fine. Given that we're allowing myths of fictional cultures as well, the stable of possibilities is pretty large.

euio
02-22-2010, 07:01 AM
What about mapping a subject of Medieval Christianity, like Earthly Paradise, Purgatory, or Hell (all of which were supposed to be on or in the earth at undiscovered locations)?

torstan
02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
At the end of the day the decision of what counts as a myth is up to the voters. If you can convince them that what you have mapped illustrates a myth - however you choose to define that term - then you should be fine. If instead you map something and people decide that it is not a map of a myth then you'll lose votes. I'd suggest that you make sure that your map makes the case well. In my own opinion, the mythical locations of purgatory on earth would certainly count, but my vote is only one vote.

The rules allow us to disqualify a map if it does not fit the challenge parameters but I don't think that has ever happened. Instead the votes usually enforce the rules pretty well.

Rythal
02-22-2010, 11:36 PM
maybe someone could do a map of Noahs Ark... :P.

Midgardsormr
02-23-2010, 01:42 AM
the battlefield of Ragnarok when the world serpent rises from the depths.

You rang, sir?

Jaxilon
02-23-2010, 02:16 AM
Obviously, I haven't been around as much the last couple weeks :(

I want to enter this but I'm pretty slammed for time right now. I am brainstorming what I will do if I get to it though. Hopefully, I will.

torstan
02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
@Midgardsormr: I thought that might get your attention :)

@Jaxilon: Sorry to hear that. Hope it lightens up enough for you to get an entry in.

moutarde
03-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Hey Torstan, I was just curious when voting starts for this. I had originally assumed on the 10th, but after re-reading your post here, it sounds like the 15th. Just curious, since if it's the 15th, I have time to do more work on it ;)

torstan
03-13-2010, 12:57 AM
15th as stated in the challenge post. So yes, go forth and draw!

moutarde
03-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Thanks Torstan! :)

torstan
03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
This competition will close today (the 15th) at 5pm EST. Make sure you get your final entries in, and the ### Latest WIP ### tags in place before that time.

tilt
03-15-2010, 12:08 PM
check :) ... so, where is EST, I'l like to enter it into my iphone in "world clock" - but it asks for a city :) ... will the voting still be for 5 days, concidering the moving of the deadline?

moutarde
03-15-2010, 12:52 PM
New York City is EST :)

torstan
03-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Yep, New York is EST which is of course totally unrelated to the location of the person that will be doing the closing....

tilt
03-15-2010, 01:56 PM
*lol*... but of course, wouldn't think of you favoring your location torstan ;) ... and as it happens, I have allready added NY to my iphone as I have two friends living there - so couldn't be easier :) Thanks both :)

torstan
03-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Actually that does bring up an important point. As the US does daylight saving differently to most of the rest of the world, EST is currently GMT -4 rather than GMT -5 as normal.

tilt
03-15-2010, 02:39 PM
*lol*... well, as long as the time is fixed to NY, I guess we just have to adjust our watches accordingly ;) ... and then we can try to get the US to follow the rest of the world afterwards... *lol*

torstan
03-15-2010, 02:53 PM
:) Good luck with that.

Half my electronics come from home (UK) so it took a lot of care to figure out what time it was yesterday morning...

tilt
03-15-2010, 04:49 PM
So, you're not a native to NY?
I've changed countries too, from Denmark to Sweden - so not that big of a change - and my company is still in Denmark so I go there often.

torstan
03-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Nope - I move around quite a lot.

waldronate
03-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Moutarde did a lovely illustration of a myth, complete with source materials and what appeared to be a nice fantasy research context. Lovely picture of a scroll that might be described as a map, technically well executed and integrated with the context. But it just didn't seem well suited to the purpose of being a map.

Greason Wolfe went to the other extreme, opting for what appeared to be a fully geologically accurate illustration. It was very photographic and well executed, but it seemed to me to be lacking "mapness".

tilt did what best matched my mental model of a "map" of those presented for the challenge. It showed the important features of a place for the purpose of describing a myth. Was it technically the best executed from a technical standpoint? Probably not by the current standards of most of the guild folks. Did it look like a photograph? Certainly not. It had a few of the external flourishes that would mark it as a picture of a map (some of the shading on the map appeared to be trying to invoke a parchment-type background and it was clear from the symbol style that it was intended to look like a picture of a woodcut from an old book), but those flourishes were all very subordinate to the map.