PDA

View Full Version : Mountain test

Carnifex
02-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Been busy trying out some mountain styles. Now I'm testing a special brush combined with layer styles. Drawing mountains this way is very easy - a few strokes and the mountains are done (although fine tuning the brush and finding the perfect the layer style took several hours).

I'm quite happy with the result but I guess everything can be improved so... comments welcome.

Ascension
02-19-2010, 11:17 PM
I like it, looks great for just a brush and some styles.

Carnifex
02-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks for taking a look at the test.

Posted small update below. Don't know how to improve further. I want it as good as I can get it.

Steel General
02-20-2010, 09:12 AM
I like it they have the 'spiny-ness' that at times gets overlooked for a "satellite" style.

I'm always tinkering with different ways to do mountains, though I generally stay away from the whole custom brush thing and try to do it with filters and layer styles alone.

Carnifex
02-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Why do you stay away from custom brushes? I can imagine you like a more streamlined (and sometimes faster) workflow?

From the start I was thinking I'd stay away from custom brushes or time-consuming work with filters (which also makes adjustments more difficult). I ended up making this brush because I could not get the result I wanted with other techniques (othen than doing it by hand).

Maybe there are some good filters (or combination of filters) that can be used to make mountains?

torstan
02-20-2010, 10:50 AM
That's looking good. I like the variation you get with the ridge sharpness. The shadows are lovely, though they're a bit warm in places. Perhaps try pushing them more towards blue or desaturate them. Any chance of a breakdown of the layer styles and the custom brush?

TheMarcus7
02-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Speaking as someone who's just spent the morning messing around with layers and layer styles while working through Tear's tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8086-%5BAward-Winner%5D-Saderan-a-tutorial), I'd love to try it with a brush. I'm interested in looking into Wilbur as well, based on what I read in a jezelf tutorial and WIP post (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?2942-September-Entry-Buncklebury&p=31885&viewfull=1#post31885). His mountains look a lot like the one's in torstan's most recent effort.

.TM7

Carnifex
02-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Another minor update. Made the shadows a little bit more blue and other minor stuff.

Steel General
02-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Why do you stay away from custom brushes? I can imagine you like a more streamlined (and sometimes faster) workflow?

'Cause I'm to lazy to make the brushes :)

Larb
02-20-2010, 09:05 PM
I like how they look. What layer styles and what sort of brush did you use?

Carnifex
02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
The layer style technique in similar to the one in Pasis tutorial:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4405-[Award-Winner]-Rising-up-the-mountains-in-Photoshop

Note that small changes to the settings can change the look quite alot - so lot's of testing to find the one you like.

I use only one custom brush (with splatter effect) that I use in different sizes and opacities.

TheMarcus7
02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Thats my favorite technique yet! The trickiest bit seems to be finding appropriate texture maps to base it on. Once I found one that worked I made some dang sexy mountains. Now I need to look into how you turn layer patterns/styles into brushes.

.TM7

Carnifex
02-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Now I need to look into how you turn layer patterns/styles into brushes.

The layer style is "separate" from the brush. The brush is only greyscale.

Carnifex
12-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Haven't been around for a long time but now I've started to try out new map making techniques again.

Here's a little update for the map. I've fine-tuned the mountain brush (I'm satisfied with the result and I know how to tweak the look). I now started making the perfect (for me that is) way to make forests.

arsheesh
12-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Hey I remember you! Been a while. I dig the new style. Hope to see more of your work in the days ahead.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Carnifex
12-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Hey I remember you! Been a while. I dig the new style. Hope to see more of your work in the days ahead.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh
Thanks... I'll be putting up a WIP soon.