PDA

View Full Version : Huge map of Zakhara

HandsomeRob
02-20-2010, 05:18 PM
I've been working on this one for a while. It's given me a chance to get a lot better at using Photoshop patterns, brushes, and layer styles to create nice-looking natural features. Zakhara is an Arabian-Nights kind of place; it's not a creation of mine so some of you may have heard of it. Posted herein is a low-res image showing the whole map and a couple of sections of the full-resolution map (which is huge - about 5750x8050 pixels).

-Rob

RecklessEnthusiasm
02-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Wow, this is really impressive. I haven't tried my hand at continent mapping yet, but these are really inspiring! I am particularly impressed with how well the mountains and the plateaus in the desert area really pop out at you. May I ask what effect you used for that? Oh, and I'll rep you too. :)

HandsomeRob
02-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Hey, thanks.
For the mountains, I started by drawing in the ridgelines in Illustrator and exporting them to Photoshop. In photoshop, I filled the entire layer with a mountain texture, and created a mask by expanding and feathering the ridgelines. Then a bevel is applied to the layer. If you do this 3 times, each with different expand/feather values, you can make mountain ranges like these.
For the cliffs, I filled the area on top of the cliff with white and set it to multiply. Then I added an inner glow and a drop shadow, and finally masked out the areas of the white shape that don't represent cliff edges.

-Rob

Steel General
02-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Cool stuff here - Oh Handsome One! :D

Soixante
02-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Very nice. Any chance of seeing the complete full resolution map?

Fuse
02-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Love it. Great job on this map

HandsomeRob
02-22-2010, 06:06 PM
I think the full-res map may be too big to post here. But here it is at half-res, you can at least make out all the names.
-Rob

mearrin69
02-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow. That's a sweet style...and you're not kidding about huge. Have some rep!
M

RobA
02-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Sweet! A very nice deviation from your atlas style!

-Rob A>

torstan
02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Great to see a new style and a very pretty one at that. I really like the mountains. Great work!

Gandwarf
02-23-2010, 01:11 PM
This looks great HandsomeRob! I spent at least a few minutes staring at it, finding new stuff every time.

Werthead
03-02-2010, 06:37 PM
That's a blast from the past. I did a few RPG campaigns set in Zakhara back in the day.

For those not in the know, Zakhara the continent setting of AL-QADIM, a Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition setting, released back in 1992. The continent of Zakhara is actually located on the same planet as the better-known FORGOTTEN REALMS setting (the main continent of which, Faerun, lies a few hundred miles to the north-west; Kara-Tur lies to the east of Zakhara).

A very good and interesting setting, with a real Arabian Knights flavour. Interesting to see if it returns in 4th Edition (they totally ignored it in 3rd).

The map is absolutely fantastic, btw ;)