PDA

View Full Version : Hardware

Al. I. Cuza
02-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Greetings!

I know this is a subforum for software, but as i didn't find a better place to ask, I'll do it here:

What kind of hardware do you use for your maps? I mean, I have lots of difficulties using a mouse for drawing.

So what should I use instead?

Ascension
02-22-2010, 08:25 AM
You could draw it on paper and then scan it in and work on it on the computer or you could use a tablet. Using the mouse to draw takes time and by the time I got my tablet I was already doing just fine with a mouse.

Al. I. Cuza
02-22-2010, 09:16 AM
By tablets you mean those big touchpads you can connect to the PC?

Midgardsormr
02-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Most tablets come with a stylus that you hold like a pencil. This makes for a more intuitive interface for drawing. Others have a touch surface which I find a bit less useful, but some people like it. Others can do both. I highly recommend a Wacom tablet for mapping--it's so much better than using a mouse, and easier on the wrists as well. The best value on the market right now, in my opinion, is the Wacom Bamboo Fun. Take a look at the sticky at the top of the General Discussions forum called "Mouse vs. Tablet."

Elothan
02-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Another plus for me Is that i am left handed, but I have always used a mouse with my right hand. Now I can tie one set of tools to my mouse and another to my tablet for dual.dexterous (Sp) fun :)

Midgardsormr
02-22-2010, 10:30 PM
You'll be like a digital Demitri Martin!

Al. I. Cuza
02-23-2010, 01:19 AM
Hey, thanks for the suggestions.

LutwikWienholdt
02-23-2010, 05:04 AM
I'm using a Touchscreen-All-in-One PC. If you use a ball-pen on the touchscreen, it's similar to a tablet.

Al. I. Cuza
02-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Well, I have a tablet-PC, but I lost the original OS Windows XP Mobile, and now I can't install the drivers for the touchscreen.

the-golem
02-24-2010, 03:48 AM
The problem with some stylus+screen interfaces, (IMHO) is that they often wear grooves into the surface, because they're so hard. Of course, this is all sorta second-hand .. I've not had the experience using a stylus, but I've seen the devices they were used on. Bleh. On the otherhand, I'm sure a stylus is much better to use than a ball-point pen. Stylus' are cheap, perhaps you could invest in one?

The advantage of a touch PC, is of course, having the surface BE the image you're manipulating.

All hat being said -- at the moment Amazon.com has a "sale" of sorts on the Wacom Bamboo Fun. Something like $5 USD less than retail, and no shipping. I think I'll get one. Maybe. They have some positive reviews also.

Elothan
02-24-2010, 05:13 AM
I got the bamboo, and I must say I love it :)

Al. I. Cuza
03-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I didn't really understand what the difference is between Bamboo and Bamboo Fun.

PS: Does size matter actually? What do you prefer, small or medium?

Midgardsormr
03-08-2010, 09:35 PM
I wrote a rather lengthy description of all the Bamboo modes a little while ago: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8673-Wacom-Bamboo

In a nutshell, the Fun is a bit bigger and comes with Corel Painter Essentials in addition to Photoshop Elements. As far as size, opinions vary. People who paint tend to like larger ones. I find my 8" x 6" Intuos to be a very comfortable size for me. Anything larger than that I find cumbersome. Smaller is ok, though.